14 posts
  • 2 / 2
 by /zn/
4 years 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

My view? I think it's simple. He has an arthritic knee. If managed a back can run with that condition, it has happened before. He wasn't the same back but he could be productive (and probably more productive than he was in 2019 if you put him behind a more stable OL). But, at the end of the day, the Rams were managing snaps on a back with a big contract. The math didn't add up. Better to start over.

I like Hammond on this (I combine different quotations from him):

Rich Hammond@Rich_Hammond
So, yes, the Rams ended up in a bad spot with Gurley and, particularly with his albatross of a contract, but they did the only thing they could: get out of it.

There simply were too many questions. How healthy is Gurley’s knee? Is there a degenerative condition? Is he capable of carrying the ball 18 to 20 times, every game for a full season, if needed? Was he happy with the team? All of these questions (and others) were repeatedly asked over a 16-month period, and no definitive answers were ever obtained. This situation couldn’t continue in 2020.

they tried to half-measure it last year and it just didn’t work. ... It just didn’t make sense anymore.

by actionjack
4 years 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   3942  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

I think there was drama we dont know about. Gurley not be used much in the NFC champinship game and breaking down after. Gurley interview a couple months ago, reporter told him McVay wanted to sit down and discuss role and Gurley refrained it was news to him.
The situation is just odd. I think ultimately it was the contract, but other things were going on. I think firing the RB coach was the first sign.

by safer
4 years 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   1275  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

I think Gurley is a mostly a somewhat shy, quiet, reflective kind of guy. Doesn't seem to get overly emotional when playing. WHEN he had his elite talents and wasn't banged up he would often do cutbacks and take on lbers down field. Now, he just cruises out of bounds when he used to get much more out of some plays.
I really do think he's banged up, but cannot figure out how he could be upset with the Rams after the way McVay covered for him all year long.
I'm wondering if it came to a crisis recently after McVay told him he wanted a much more out of him and Todd didn't respond in a determined way. I think that's why it happened so quickly, as Todd didn't get on board with how the new OC wants to use him.
I'm also wondering if many on our team didn't really like his non-chalant attitude when he wasn't playing up to his previous standards. I know I woulda been pissed at a guy not playing his ass off.

by river
4 years 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   111  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Practice Squad

safer wrote:I think Gurley is a mostly a somewhat shy, quiet, reflective kind of guy. Doesn't seem to get overly emotional when playing. WHEN he had his elite talents and wasn't banged up he would often do cutbacks and take on lbers down field. Now, he just cruises out of bounds when he used to get much more out of some plays.
I really do think he's banged up, but cannot figure out how he could be upset with the Rams after the way McVay covered for him all year long.
I'm wondering if it came to a crisis recently after McVay told him he wanted a much more out of him and Todd didn't respond in a determined way. I think that's why it happened so quickly, as Todd didn't get on board with how the new OC wants to use him.
I'm also wondering if many on our team didn't really like his non-chalant attitude when he wasn't playing up to his previous standards. I know I woulda been pissed at a guy not playing his ass off.

I thought it odd that Gurley was dropped as a Captain last season, that's of course if I heard that right.

• 2 / 2
14 posts Apr 17 2024