82 posts
  • 2 / 9
 by snackdaddy
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   9662  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

bremillard wrote:Pretty hard to argue. Who of us didn't see this coming?

Didn't see an article like this coming? I'm not surprised. Its the offseason. These things will be all over the map because they have to write something.

by snackdaddy
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   9662  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Rams1PlateSince1976 wrote:Mocking us on Instagram??? What the hell is instantgram?

Isn't that where you pay someone to sing happy birthday?

by PARAM
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   12247  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

bremillard wrote:I believe they mean for the 2020 season.

So cap hell has caused the Rams to be cellar dwellers in 2020?

Let's see who they lost:

Brockers: I always liked him. Always thought he was under rated. But he was much better in the middle than on the end. Is he irreplaceable? I'm not sure about that.

Fowler: He played the run as well as rushing the passer. 11.5 sacks seems decent but like DieterBrock pointed out, he got 7.5 in 3 games. That means he got 4 in the other 13 games. He played 9 games without a sack.

Gurley: Loved the guy when he was healthy. But his performance last season was borderline abysmal. We can point to the OL but he dropped too many passes. He was targeted 49 times and caught 31. 64% catch rate for a RB? Most good running backs have a 75% catch rate or higher. 64% absolutely sucks. Something was wrong with TG last year. His knee? His head? Both? Gonna miss him but I missed him this year.

Robey-Coleman: Good slot guy. But we are extremely deep in the secondary so are we going to miss him? Maybe. Particularly if we need someone mugged in a big game!! 8-)

Littleton: Always liked CL. Liked all those blocked punts too. But we haven't seen that the last 2 years. Will we miss him? Possibly.

I don't see the devastating losses that have dropped our talent level. We're loaded with young talent on the defensive side who will be asked to step up this year. Micah Kizer, David Long, Obo Okoronkwo, Samson Ebukam, Darius Williams, etc. We acquired a Dante Jr and a big run stuffer (perhaps a little better than Brockers was when he played in the middle), so we'll see how that plays out. But most of our "devastating losses" were on the defensive side of the ball.....a defense that couldn't stop Tampa, Seattle 1, Baltimore, Dallas or SF 2.

Remember that fact everyone espoused when Wade came to the Rams? "Every team he's joined as the DC has gone to the postseason". Well here's another one. The last 4 defenses he ran got better in the rankings the year he left except for 1. Atlanta #32 to #14, San Diego #23 to #14, Houston #7 to #16 and Denver #4 to #3. So not only does he change the teams fortunes when he joins them, he changes the defenses fortunes when he leaves.

by /zn/
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   6764  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:Robey-Coleman: Good slot guy. But we are extremely deep in the secondary

I agree with pretty much all that but just want to stress one point.

The Rams traded away their 2 starting corners during the season. Then the replacements (Ramsey/Hill obviously) played well. But then they lost both of THEM in a couple of games. And THEIR replacements played well. And Ramsey aside, that was getting down to what started the season as the 4th and 5th guys in their CB depth (and that's not counting R-C as a slot corner)

I bet no one can name another team that had to replace 4 starting CBs in one season and still looked good at corner. Or another way to put that (again not counting the slot corner) is they started 6 different CBs...and looked good. Who has 6 starting CBs? (?!)

If anyone told me before the season that would happen, I would have thought they were delirious.

by ramsman34
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   8544  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

/zn/ wrote:I agree with pretty much all that but just want to stress one point.

The Rams traded away their 2 starting corners during the season. Then the replacements (Ramsey/Hill obviously) played well. But then they lost both of THEM in a couple of games. And THEIR replacements played well.

I bet no one can name another team that had to replace 4 starting CBs and still looked good at corner.

If anyone told me before the season that would happen, I would have thought they were delirious.

No doubt. And What helps a pass rush most? Coverage

by PARAM
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   12247  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

ramsman34 wrote:No doubt. And What helps a pass rush most? Coverage

And what helps coverage? A pass rush. Put those two together and ya got something. Now, of course, Staley isn't Fangio but hopefully he's picked up a lot of things from him. A lot of top 10 defenses coming from that scheme.

by ramsman34
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   8544  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

PARAM wrote:And what helps coverage? A pass rush. Put those two together and ya got something. Now, of course, Staley isn't Fangio but hopefully he's picked up a lot of things from him. A lot of top 10 defenses coming from that scheme.

The “fear” around these parts is our pass rush is gone. It left with Fowler and Mathews. But, most contend our secondary is top notch. Hence my statement. I say that Obo and quite possibly the Floyd, and with adding the beef of Robinson, plus whomever else is gonna be added - might just improve, and more than we think. Especially when married to a new, situationally aggressive/match up scheme.

by river
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   111  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Practice Squad

ramsman34 wrote:The “fear” around these parts is our pass rush is gone. It left with Fowler and Mathews. But, most contend our secondary is top notch. Hence my statement. I say that Obo and quite possibly the Floyd, and with adding the beef of Robinson, plus whomever else is gonna be added - might just improve, and more than we think. Especially when married to a new, situationally aggressive/match up scheme.

The Rams should be fine if they nail down the right 5T DE in the draft, although the options grow smaller when you don't have a 1'st round pick.

Right now i'm liking 6'4" 295lbs. DE James Lynch out of Baylor. He had 13.5 sacks in 2019 and has been gaining traction since coming in second for all defensive linemen with Sparq's. We might even be able to trade our #52 pick down a few spots and get him later in the round.

Scouting Report:

Rare defensive line prospect coming out of college experienced in the 3-4 scheme. Played on the edge at Baylor, and has the length and base to continue as a DE in a 3-4 at the next level. Is explosive off of the snap and overpowers linemen by using a solid base along with a number of developed arm techniques. Could move to the inside in a 4-3, especially one that covets one gapping pressure. Has the wingspan and lower body strength to also hold up against the run and maintain his gaps.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ja ... r-BB118zqo

https://3sigmaathlete.com/sparq-ranking ... sive-line/

by AvengerRam
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

Rams1PlateSince1976 wrote:Mocking us on Instagram??? What the hell is instantgram?

Powdered grandmother. Just add water.

• 2 / 9
82 posts Apr 25 2024