90 posts
  • 9 / 9
  • 1
  • 9
 by PARAM
4 days ago
 Total posts:   4600  
 Joined:  Jul 15 2015
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Superstar

CanuckRightWinger wrote:You say myopic, and I say focussed.


Oh you're focused. That's never been in question. But you've got the aim of Dick Cheney!

 by Haden
4 days ago
 Total posts:   1290  
 Joined:  Sep 06 2016
United States of America   Spokane, WA
Pro Bowl

LINK: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... encytrades

POST-FREE AGENCY FRENZY POWER RANKINGS
NFL.COM

RANK: 17

RAMS -3
Previous rank: No. 14

Change happens fast in the NFL: The Rams have quickly gone from an organization on the rise to a team in transition. Running back Todd Gurley, the former face of the franchise and the man who once seemed destined to open up Sofi Stadium as the building's biggest star, was released and quickly signed by the Falcons. Nearly half the team's starting defense from 2019 must be replaced. Teams are calling about receiver Brandin Cooks. There are still building block pieces in place ( Jared Goff, Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey form a damn solid foundation), but the Super Bowl window has closed for the time being. Can Sean McVay and Les Snead re-open it?

 by snackdaddy
4 days ago
 Total posts:   6436  
 Joined:  May 30 2015
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

I guess these articles, rankings and opinions are all we have this time of year. Most times, they're all incorrect in their projections. And rankings are fluid. After the draft rankings will change.

I do understand why people are skeptical of the Rams. We missed the playoffs. 4 wins less than the previous season. A lot of turnover on defense. Goff's regression. The line's regression. A lot of things to point to.

But everything is based on the 2019 performance. When they look at Gurley's release they remember his 2017 and 2018 performances. They look at Fowler's 11.5 sacks. They didn't notice that Gurley was a non factor in the NFCCG and Superbowl. Likely because of his knee issues. Which continued in the 2019 season. They didn't notice Fowler had 7 sacks in 3 games. 3 came against the team who signed him to a big contract. Maybe their opinion of him was a bit skewed because he did so well against them?

 by PARAM
4 days ago
 Total posts:   4600  
 Joined:  Jul 15 2015
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Superstar

snackdaddy wrote:Maybe you two should get a room.


Get a room? Hell, when I met him in St. Louis, years ago, he wouldn't even stay in the same hotel as me!!! ;) Then he went out drinking by himself!!

Canuck wrote:I was going for "a little humor"...…


Well you succeeded!!! :D

Seriously, it's all good. A welcome distraction. Opposing viewpoints are healthy. Even in politics during a fucking pandemic!! It emphasizes the difference between the politicians and the actual human beings!!

snackdaddy wrote:I guess these articles, rankings and opinions are all we have this time of year. Most times, they're all incorrect in their projections. And rankings are fluid. After the draft rankings will change.

I do understand why people are skeptical of the Rams. We missed the playoffs. 4 wins less than the previous season. A lot of turnover on defense. Goff's regression. The line's regression. A lot of things to point to.

But everything is based on the 2019 performance. When they look at Gurley's release they remember his 2017 and 2018 performances. They look at Fowler's 11.5 sacks. They didn't notice that Gurley was a non factor in the NFCCG and Superbowl. Likely because of his knee issues. Which continued in the 2019 season. They didn't notice Fowler had 7 sacks in 3 games. 3 came against the team who signed him to a big contract. Maybe their opinion of him was a bit skewed because he did so well against them?


The only rankings that matter are the ones in late December. We were 9-7. Well below average compared to the 24-8 we were the two years previous. But it's easy to see why. I think the OL issues were real but for reasons other than the OL coach and talent. What really gets over looked is the inconsistency of the defense and that the special teams were absolutely horrible. Besides Z missing 9 FGs, most probably don't remember, to start the year in Carolina, Z put two kickoffs out of bounds and we had a punt blocked. The odds on that in Vegas would have probably been 3 million to 1.

On Goff, I think McVay just wanted him to chuck it as much as he could. Phil Simms related words of advice given him by Parcells in Simms first post season game. "If you don't throw 2 interceptions today, you aren't trying hard enough." Weird but I get the point. Don't worry, just do it because we need you to throw it.

 by Dick84
4 days ago
 Total posts:   5282  
 Joined:  Oct 29 2015
Italy   LA Coliseum
Hall of Fame

The Rams were able to pick up Dante Fowler mid-season in 18 and Jalen Ramsey last year.
I don't doubt that there's an in-season move to help out somewhere on this team.

 by Hacksaw
3 days ago
 Total posts:   16735  
 Joined:  Apr 15 2015
United States of America   AT THE BEACH
Moderator

They're in the cellar?

 by snackdaddy
3 days ago
 Total posts:   6436  
 Joined:  May 30 2015
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:They're in the cellar?


Yup, it already happened. Where have you been? Its 2021 now. With the Kobe thing and COVID-19 we decided to skip 2020.

 by Hacksaw
3 days ago
 Total posts:   16735  
 Joined:  Apr 15 2015
United States of America   AT THE BEACH
Moderator

snackdaddy wrote:Yup, it already happened. Where have you been? Its 2021 now. With the Kobe thing and COVID-19 we decided to skip 2020.

Just when I had a feeling 20 was going to be a good year.

I hope the Who (band not world health org) got it right.
Sans the '19' part of course.


  • 9 / 9
  • 1
  • 9
90 posts Mar 28 2020