76 posts
  • 4 / 8
 by PARAM
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   12242  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

I would think it takes more than a good "YPC" average to make a good OL. This 3.7 keeps being brought up as if it's some magic formula for OL success. Maybe it is. Let's look around the league.

Cleveland had a 4.8 ypc average so I guess their O line, anchored by that great first round pick GRob, is awesome!!! The Giants had a 4.7 ypc average and allowed 43 sacks. Washington had a 4.4 average and 50 sacks. Awesome lines all, according to Canuck's YPC-is-everything stat. Right?????

Oh wait, those last two teams had rookie QBs starting, so the sacks are on them, not the O line. It couldn't possibly be those OLs with those great YPC numbers!!! It couldn't be defenses were playing the pass and allowing them a good YPC average? NO, what am I saying? YPC is THE stat that determines a good OL.

I feel bad for the poor PIttsburgh Steelers with those scrubs named Villanueva, DeCastro, Pouncey and Foster. A 3.7 average (actually 3.66 which was worse than the Rams!!!!). Now they have to go out and find a bunch of O lineman!!! Or the New England Patriots with their 3.8 average. They would have fired Dante Scarnecchi if he hadn't retired!!!! He had been considered one of the best OL coaches in the business up until the Pats posted that horrific 3.8 average in 2019!!!! Yup, the Rams O line sucked BECAUSE they only had a 3.7 ypc average. Aaron Kromer sucked because the Rams only had a 3.7 ypc average. Totally sucked!!!

You show me a team with a sub 4.0 average per rush attempt and I'll show you a bunch of scrub O lineman coached by a A-hole OL coach!!!! And let's not even bring PFF into the equation. I mean they know EVERYTHING!!!!! I think it was a great move by McVay, Snead and Co. to only spend one day at the combine and one at the Senior Bowl. They recently subscribed to PFF!!!

by CanuckRightWinger
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

Well, your "OL sucked" could be interchanged for my "OL were a definite problem" I guess.... ;)

but like I posted above, I might be in the minority on disliking Kromer...
but I am not alone in recognizing the ineffectiveness & low NFL standing of the 2019 Ram OL. :idea2:

Lots of football fans & sites (like PFF) share that opinion with me.

by R4L
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   1301  
United States of America   Dayton, Ohio
Pro Bowl

CanuckRightWinger wrote:Well, your "OL sucked" could be interchanged for my "OL were a definite problem" I guess.... ;)

but I am not alone in recognizing the ineffectiveness & low NFL standing of the 2019 Ram OL. :idea2:

I do as well.

by PARAM
4 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

CanuckRightWinger wrote:Well, your "OL sucked" could be interchanged for my "OL were a definite problem" I guess.... ;)

Sure. And they practically all said the young O lineman lacked talent and Kromer was a suckassed O line coach!!

My god man, is there no end to your inability to fathom it might have been no more than inexperience and injuries? But you gotta blame somebody.....so you blame Kromer. It couldn't have been Snead & McVay wanted to go with the young guys they drafted the previous year. And they probably should have played in preseason to be sure. But that was also on Kromer and not Snead & McVay. And the first man up early in the year was Demby....another Snead/McVay draft pick. But it was Kromer!!! Man that god damned Kromer. Can't wait to see the new uniforms and if I don't like them.......I'll know who to blame!!!!

by PARAM
4 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:The problem is that you think the stats back up your argument that Kromer did a bad job coaching them.

They don't. They're a *possible* result.. but the Rams action, as an organization, clearly show that they DO NOT BELIEVE that Kromer was the problem.

So.. your stats simply reinforce something we all know.. that the Rams had oline problems last year. What they don't do, at all, is show *why* the Rams had oline problems last year.

*Reasonable* people would suggest that the problems were from... ahem.. a combination of problems, including coaching. But.. some people can't be that complex.

There have been at least 3 or 4 responses that lay it all out like that. It doesn't help. Some people have to have somebody to blame because simply saying "it was a bad year with a lot of things gone wrong" isn't enough. They pay good money for gear and tickets and TV, have done so for sometimes 4 decades, so when their team doesn't make it to the postseason, heads have to roll. "It's my hard earned money dammit and I'm heavily invested!!! I remember Claude Crabb and Jon Arnett!!! If you're not going to reimburse me, they fire somebody at least!!!!".....as if someone made them spend that time and cash!!! And here's the kicker.....if you're one of those fans who don't pound the table or open a window and pull a Peter Finch, then you are satisfied with mediocrity and failure. You are a loser, who accepts losing.

Everybody and their brother have said the O line had problems this year. Practically everybody and their brother said the inexperience and injuries played a part in those problems. Some even said it was poor coaching. So we wait for the next season to begin and root for our boys once again. Some will piss and moan and whine and complain about this or that for the next 7 months really not really knowing exactly what went wrong where or why. Oh, they'll have their stats....3.7 ypc, PFF rankings (Wopner at 5, Wopner at 5)....and they actually believe they've got it figured out because it has to be something dammit!!!

Here's the way I like to look at it. This team, led by this coach went 24-8 in 2017 and 2018. Mainly because of the offense. Well the offense wasn't it's usual self this year and it exposed a terrible defense. So they changed up things a bit and hired a new guy......on defense. They've kept basically all of the offensive coaches except the RB coach. Hmmmm. What might that mean? They didn't keep the RB coach and fire the OL coach. :idea2: :arrow2: They hired a guy familiar with Gurley. :idea2: What could that mean? The O line coach sucked? Crazy eh? I'd like to think McVay and Snead are smarter than the average GM and HC combo.

by dieterbrock
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

So whats the end game here fellas? Not going to be happy until @CanuckRightWinger agrees with you? Maybe start another thread on it?
Jeesh…

by /zn/
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:So whats the end game here fellas? Not going to be happy until @CanuckRightWinger agrees with you? Maybe start another thread on it?
Jeesh…

The very selectively applied "rule" is that a single poster is not supposed to obsessively repeat themselves on a topic. Like most "rules" I guess it sometimes gets down to who you agree with, though that's probably not the best way to do it.

There's no such thing as a final word on something like this, and everyone involved--all of us, including those we agree with--can at any time say "let's agree to disagree" or "let's wait to see what happens with this." That's presumably the principle at stake, and, it's better when it's not selectively applied.

by R4L
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   1301  
United States of America   Dayton, Ohio
Pro Bowl

dieterbrock wrote:So whats the end game here fellas? Not going to be happy until @CanuckRightWinger agrees with you? Maybe start another thread on it?
Jeesh…

Yeah the replies are getting repeated over and over. Someone has to be right. Right?

by rams74
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   1471  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

Based on my experience, there is no middle ground for fans on O-line coaches. They're either the best that every lived, or they're responsible for all the world's ills, from pestilence and plague to global warming. Most fall into the latter category. I've been guilty of this, too.

I just can't get excited anymore about hyper-criticism of an O-line coach. Position coaches do what they can, but it's the players who play the game. We tend to blame O-line coaches for not "coaching up" players that are either deficient (for whatever reason) or just inexperienced.

The reality is that usually it's on the player(s), and there's only so much improvement a coach can be expected to get out of a guy (or 5 guys) within a given season.

by Elvis
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   38452  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Obviously the players matter but i put a ton on coaching and scheme. After all you see a huge variety of types of oline personnel combinations succeeding and failing in the NFL...

• 4 / 8
76 posts Apr 18 2024