RFU Pick 5

RFU Fantasy Football (Set Your Lineup)
CLOSE
28 posts
  • 2 / 3
 by Mr. Sparkle
2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   387  
United States of America   Orange County Ca.
Starter

I guess I am in the minority on my thinking. A chain archaic? How can something be any better? It’s so simple. Why complicate things all the time? I work with a guy that was all in on his phones new measuring system years ago. After a couple weeks he was back to using a “archaic” tape measure again almost every time.
So the goal posts light up... then it’s “when did the refs whistle the play dead? When was forward momentum stopped? When did his knee touch down? Etc...”. It would just slow down and add yet another layer of fodder.
Frankly, I think we should go back to what replays were SUPOSE to be originally and be for the most obvious blown calls. To do that, I would make a rule that reviews are allowed to be 30 seconds max. That way, only the worst calls would be checked and we wouldn’t be all looking at TVs in 4K in super slow mo.
The number 1 concern with all sports is pace of play and replays just kill all the momentum and fun for me.
Even when it’s a bad call against the Rams, anyone that watches the game with me knows I am always saying “move on a play the damn game!” Get ‘em next play”

But that’s just me. 🤘

by Elvis
2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   24195  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

As gareth has pointed out before, a chip is great but they're still gonna have to basically guess at exactly when a player is down in a lot of these situations...

by Hacksaw
2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   16465  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

I won't be surprised when the Patriots figure out a way to reverse engineer the 'chip' to control the ball in flight. To make it curve around defenders hands and only be caught by the Patriots intended receivers. Or at least to jam other field cameras so 1st down and goal line reviews would be inconclusive if not in their favor. ;)

by dieterbrock
2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   11367  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Mr. Sparkle wrote:I guess I am in the minority on my thinking. A chain archaic? How can something be any better? It’s so simple. Why complicate things all the time? I work with a guy that was all in on his phones new measuring system years ago. After a couple weeks he was back to using a “archaic” tape measure again almost every time.
So the goal posts light up... then it’s “when did the refs whistle the play dead? When was forward momentum stopped? When did his knee touch down? Etc...”. It would just slow down and add yet another layer of fodder.
Frankly, I think we should go back to what replays were SUPOSE to be originally and be for the most obvious blown calls. To do that, I would make a rule that reviews are allowed to be 30 seconds max. That way, only the worst calls would be checked and we wouldn’t be all looking at TVs in 4K in super slow mo.
The number 1 concern with all sports is pace of play and replays just kill all the momentum and fun for me.
Even when it’s a bad call against the Rams, anyone that watches the game with me knows I am always saying “move on a play the damn game!” Get ‘em next play”

But that’s just me. 🤘

The method of measurement isn’t the problem. 10 yards is 10 yards. Relying on eye-balling where the 10 yards begins is completely archaic. And a waste of time.
But I get it, there were people who thought the pager was here to stay too

by Elvis
2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   24195  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

They bring out the chains a lot less than they used to so there's that. There is some pageantry and drama to it that maybe they want to keep?

As for the chip, not sure how far along the technology is but if the chip knows where it is in the ball and how it's oriented at all times, it can tell you where every part of the ball is...

by snackdaddy
2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   6281  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:My bet is Saints fans aren't worried about a chip in the ball but think Sean Payton ought to figure out a way not to lose in the postseason on the final play of the game!!! Maybe they'll get a reprieve in 2020 and the Saints will fail to make the playoffs, sparing fans from a fourth consecutive loss on the final play.

Lol, what if its the final play of the regular season that eliminates them? Would they try to sue the league again? If you can't win on the field maybe you can win in court. :lol2:

by Kid Charlamagne
2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   351  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Starter

Sounds good but is it practical? Sure you can put sensors in the ball but are you going to somehow use video to spot the ball? Otherwise the entire field has to be sensored, and who thinks this technology can be counted on %100 of the time? As we’ve seen with replay, there’s no such thing as perfect technology.
In tennis there’s a max of 4 people on the court at any one time and not very many lines to judge. Compare that to football. Video is the only way to do it that doesn’t cost a boatload if money, so that leaves video, but in tennis the cameras that they use only have one function and they never move. They aren’t trying to call the lines with the cameras broadcasting the game.
Sounds good, kinda like flying cars, we have the technology but the reality of it is way more complex.

by Mr. Sparkle
2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   387  
United States of America   Orange County Ca.
Starter

dieterbrock wrote:The method of measurement isn’t the problem. 10 yards is 10 yards. Relying on eye-balling where the 10 yards begins is completely archaic. And a waste of time.
But I get it, there were people who thought the pager was here to stay too

Let’s not get carried away. Next you’ll be saying my fax machine isn’t long for this world. Don’t know what my doctors and government offices would do!

by Zen_Ronin
2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   1253  
Canada   Edmonton, AB
Pro Bowl

St. Loser Fan wrote:That's why I said they'll probably have multiple chips.

The article is behind The Athletic paywall, but the NHL showed off their puck and player tracking at the All Star Game recently. I want to say the puck had 12 chips.

Yeah, but the problem with how the NHL demo'd it was that they simply showed player names and positions, player and puck speed, and that stupid comet tail animation for the puck which was ridiculed out of use 20 years ago. They did NOT use it for offsides or the puck crossing the goal line which are the 2 things they absolutely SHOULD be using the tech for. Maybe they'll expand to that, but it should have been the first thing they did.

• 2 / 3
28 posts Feb 28 2020