27 posts
  • 2 / 3
 by Elvis
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   38458  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Best? Has to go to Vermeil. He won a SB. But i give a ton of credit to Martz, as does Vermeil. Martz is probably still my favorite but with McVay coming up fast.

Worst, tough call between Linehan and Spags but i'll go with Spags because he not only was terribly innefectual, he also shit on Rams history in the process with some of his tactics and methods.

I'll give Spags credit for one thing, he sure made hiring Fisher feel good, something i never would have thought possible...

by AvengerRam
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

As the founder of SLOP (Scott Linehan Opposition Party) my vote for worst should be obvious.

Knox and Robinson get a mention (along with Vermiel) on the “best” list.

by /zn/
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:Let's save our thumbs and agree to disagree here.

Cool.

by R4L
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   1301  
United States of America   Dayton, Ohio
Pro Bowl

Rams1PlateSince1976 wrote:Not sure about best coach, but going to say Robinson my favorite coach.

He made the playoffs six of the nine years he was coach and made it to 2 championship games. I'd say he was one of the best.

by Hacksaw
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Certainly had some of the best results, , , despite GF's meddling.

by snackdaddy
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Best coach? I gotta go wit George Allen. Maybe because I'm a little nostalgic. I don't know.

Worst coach? Its a tough call between Linehan and Spags. I gotta give a very slight edge to Linehan.

Fisher should get some kind of award for being so bad in 2016 it allowed us to find McVay. 8-)

by rams74
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   1472  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

/zn/ wrote:(Spags is in the running except his entire team was carpet bombed with injuries in 2011, including things like starting 10 different CBs, and also having what Football Outsiders identified as the single most injured up offense since 2002. Why 2002? That's as far back as they looked. I don't think he was ready to be a head coach but 2011 gutted the team, so I give him a pass for that.)

I agree. If not for all those injuries, Spags might have won 3 games in 2011.

Admittedly there are some really bad coaches on the worst list. But Spags was the worst of the worst.

As for best, I always liked Vermeil. But I think I'll go with George Allen.

by /zn/
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

rams74 wrote:I agree. If not for all those injuries, Spags might have won 3 games in 2011.

Admittedly there are some really bad coaches on the worst list. But Spags was the worst of the worst.

As for best, I always liked Vermeil. But I think I'll go with George Allen.

Spags rebuilt from scratch. Even while rebuilding they did manage to go 7-9 in 2010 (so much for the 3 wins argument). But as a result of injuries hitting in 2011 he did not have a team. No one wins with injuries like that. So we just view that one differently--anyway he does not make my bottom 2 list.

Linehan inherited a team. He was hit by injuries too...mostly massive OL injuries...but he inherited a lot more to start with and was not in full rebuild mold the way the Rams were in 97 and 2009. Either way the team quit on him during the 2008 season---IMO, because that's how bad he was.

• 2 / 3
27 posts Apr 19 2024