CLOSE
27 posts
  • 3 / 3
 by CanuckRightWinger
2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   1196  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Pro Bowl

Worst? ....we've got a few to choose from! :?

Tommy Prothro's stint with the Rams lasted all of 28 games, thank goodness. Former UCLA Bruin HC and an alleged chessmaster, Prothro would stand on the Ram sideline, in his suit, tie and fedora, chain-smoking Pall Malls. :roll2: The guy looked like he could've been cast as a villian in a James Bond movie of the day....Goldfinger had nuthin' on Prothro in my view. :P One guy who was glad to see Prothro cashiered? Jack Mr.Ram Youngblood! :idea2: Prothro drafted JY in the First Round of the 1971 Draft....but per Jack, "Prothro hated me....but the vet players told me not to worry, because he wouldn't be around very long." More Prothro muffs:
Lance Rentzel was with the Vikings. He exposed himself to a pre-teen girl. There was police involvement, and Rentzel was spirited-off to the Dallas Cowboys, under the radar. The Minnesota story only came out because Rentzel did it again in Dallas.....only this time to a daughter of a very prominent Dallas surgeon who, IIRC correctly, knew the Cowboys owner of the day (Murchison?). Anyway the flashing-stories became public because the Doc demanded justice.....so the story went public in Dallas....and this time, where does FlashPants Rentzel end up? With the Rams. :oops2: :arrow2: :x Yeah, that's the kind of guy you want as a teamate eh! :roll2:
Thanks Prothro!

...as bad as Prothro was, I still remember Torry Holt trying to towel-whip Scott Flounder LInehan's noggin on the Ram sidelines in December 2007....anybody else remember that national embarrassment on Thursday Night Football? Talk about "losing the team" :shock2:

....I remember under Interim HC Jim TooManyHitsToTheCoconut Haslett and ungloriously being down 0-40 to the Jets at Halftime. :oops2:

BUT....my nominee for worst Rams HC is Steve LittleNapoleon Spagnuolo who took down all the photos of past Ram stars at Rams Park, went 10-38 for a scintillating .208 winning mark :o ....to see how really awful .208 is, FYI Rich NFLPunchLineGuy Kotite went 40-56 for .417 :idea2:

.....but, I gotta give Steve Captain Queeg Spagnuolo credit for solving the Missing Sport Socks mystery when he fired longtime Ram Equipment Manager Todd Hewitt....clearly Spags' lowlight during his Ram stay. Small wonder Rams legends like Jim Hanifan held a well-publicized party in St. Louis when Spags was fired! 8-)

So, my WORST RAM HC nominee is Steve 4PillarsOfPulp Spagnuolo

For Best Ram Coach....lots of candidates
John Robinson won alot of games....but was a one-trick pony with ED....but JR was not so hot with QBs eh?.....I mean...Deiter Brock??!! Jeff Kemp? :?
Ray Malavasi took us to our first SuperBowl and was leading the media-darling Steelers 19-17 early in the 4th Quarter. His speaking style was slightly different :lol2: than our present day Head Coach wunderkind Sean McVay, who looks to have a good future and also has a SB appearance on his resume like Malavasi and like another BEST HC candidate Mike TheMadScientist Martz.

What might've Martz been able to accomplish if he hadn't had that House of Borgia Head Office of Shaw and Zymunt eh?? I liked Mike NotTheBestDrafter! Martz alot, especially for how he revolutionized the NFL passing game with his GSOT, and helped my favorite nominee DICK VERMIEL win Los Ramos our one and only SuperBowl!! 8-)

Just like the folks in Canton....I gotta give big throwing-weight to SB wins eh.....so...

My nominee for BEST RAM HC....Dick GraciousWinner! Vermiel. 8-)

by TomSlick
2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   2130  
Italy   2 years to register a car with DMV then they typo the wrong model year on the pink slip. Son-of-a..
Pro Bowl

Knox of the 70s will always be one of my favorites. Beating the niners on a regular basis, the Youngbloods, Hacksaw, McCutcheon, Bertelsen, Bryant and winning the division on a regular basis was so gratifying. Now the post season during those years were mind numbingly difficult to comprehend...losing in every which way possible. However, the regular season sure was fun during those years.

Worst: Linny and Spags.
Best: Vermeil, thanks to Martz. The RAMS were going nowhere until Martz and some key pickups came along. Prior to that the team was borderline mutiny with Vermeil's workouts.
Best upside, as in may eventually be the best RAM HC of all time: McVay

by Rams1PlateSince1976
2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   1376  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

Slick: Yes, couldn't believe how we could lose some of those playoff games with Knox. We had the team that could have had 3, maybe 4 superbowl wins in the 70's under Knox.

by PARAM
2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   4305  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Superstar

TomSlick wrote:Now the post season during those years were mind numbingly difficult to comprehend...losing in every which way possible. However, the regular season sure was fun during those years.

Not mention mind numbingly dumb too. It wasn't set up so the best team got the home game. The 73 Rams were 12-2 but had to go to Dallas in the first round to play the 10-4 Cowboys. The 74 Rams were 10-4 and after beating wild card Washington in L.A. had to go to Minnesota to play the 10-4 Vikings.....who they beat in the regular season 20-17. In today's structure both of those would have been home games. But of course when they did get a home game in 75 the 12-2 Rams got clobbered by the 10-4 Cowboys, 37-7, so there's that.

by CanuckRightWinger
2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   1196  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Pro Bowl

....and more Knoxian Snake Bites:
1976 in Minnesota, zebras miss the fact Ram WR Ron Jessie had actually scored a TD, so Ground Chuck lines up for a Tom Dempsey chipshot for a 3-0 Rams anticipated early lead.....but FGA blocked and Bobby Bryant races 90+ yards to the Rams EndZone and the Vikes never relinquished the lead! :(

1977 and we get the Vikes AT HOME finally.....only it was raining so hard the week before....how hard you ask?.....raining so hard, the animals were starting to pair-up......anyhoo, Knox snake-bitten luck continues and the Pat Haden led Rams lose 14-7 in the Mud Bowl......
"mud" which Jack Youngblood said taste like shyte! :?

Knox was cashiered by Caroll Rosenbloom and in came George Allen, until the team revolted in 1978 PreSeason and it became Ray Malavasi's team until 1982...and John Robinson era started in 1983.

Poor Chuck Knox....if he didn't have BAD Ram playoff luck, he never wudda had ANY luck at all! :cry2:

....but per TomSlick....Knox was absolutely stellar in Regular Seasons as he won 5 NFC West Division titles in a row 1973-1977 for Ramsnation. 8-)

by rams74
1 week ago
 Total posts:   826  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Veteran

PARAM wrote:But of course when they did get a home game in 75 the 12-2 Rams got clobbered by the 10-4 Cowboys, 37-7, so there's that.

I still haven't gotten over that game. This is the game that inspired my lifelong hatred of the Cowboys.

by SpeedRacer
1 week ago
 Total posts:   308  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Starter

John Robinson.

He was so hamstrung by The Witch. Eddie D was paying out all sorts of cash to players in SF while The Witch made sure she got her lifestyle cut off the top of the team operating income.

I still believe the Rams could have won a Supe with Robinson as coach with a better structure. A front office striving to win.

John was able to get the Rams to the NFCC with Eric Dickerson & Dieter Brock. But also with Greg Bell & Jim Everett.

And if I recall correctly they had him hold the press conference announcing he was being sacked. What a joke.

Go Rams!

• 3 / 3
27 posts Feb 28 2020