27 posts
  • 3 / 3
 by aeneas1
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:Florida is great THIS time of year.

ha ha, no doubt... pops worked for a company that transferred us around quite a bit when i was growing up (san fran, new york, mexico city, puerto rico, connecticut, etc.), spent my high school years in san juan puerto rico, very similar climate to coastal florida, 90+ degrees with a 150% humidity in the summer, ha ha, not sure how much i would embrace that at this point in my life, altho folks that i spoke with on my trip, no doubt trying to convince themselves, told me that it's barely noticeable given everything is air conditioned, homes, cars, restaurants, shopping centers, etc... hard to ac a golf course tho, i've played in that kind of weather, absolutely brutal!

by snackdaddy
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Hey A1, what's the name of your restaurant? What city are you in? The Mrs. and I were thinking about taking a scenic drive this summer along Pacific Coast Highway 1 north of the Bay Area. If you're not to far we might check out your restaurant. We did drive that years ago from Eureka to Bodega Bay and the scenery was beautiful. The drive was pretty long though with all the winding roads. We spent the night in Fort Ross. Where they filmed that movie "I Know What You Did Last Summer".

by Hacksaw
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

snackdaddy wrote:Hey A1, what's the name of your restaurant? What city are you in? The Mrs. and I were thinking about taking a scenic drive this summer along Pacific Coast Highway 1 north of the Bay Area. If you're not to far we might check out your restaurant. We did drive that years ago from Eureka to Bodega Bay and the scenery was beautiful. The drive was pretty long though with all the winding roads. We spent the night in Fort Ross. Where they filmed that movie "I Know What You Did Last Summer".

I think he's on Point Reyes off Route 1 between Bodega and Stinson. I want to get up that way this summer too.
Watch out A-1, RFU is coming to town.

by snackdaddy
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:I think he's on Point Reyes off Route 1 between Bodega and Stinson. I want to get up that way this summer too.
Watch out A-1, RFU is coming to town.

The drive on Highway 1 to the north is beautiful. Nice scenery for a long ways. But don't be in any hurry. We went about 200 miles and it took 8 hours. constant winding roads where you're only going around 30 mph because of the curves. We actually got to tired of the driving we stopped at a nice little town population 70. Fort Ross. Although I don't know where those 70 people were. All we saw was the inn and the little store. Nice place. Cottage style rooms with a view of the ocean. Was definitely the highlight of the trip.

by PARAM
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   12244  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:Florida is great THIS time of year.
Just don't go inland past the 95 or attempt to drive on it without a helmet.. lol
Being there in the summer / hurricane season can be brutal..

But beside the bugs, gators, iguanas and New Yorkers (Mawrie, take me to Flawrida) it's awesome. Especially this time of year.

My plans now include Decembers in Hawaii and Januarys in Florida / Bahamas.

I dig Islamorada and Key West too but the 'Treasure Coast' (where you were) is stunning from Miami to Jupiter and beyond.

I like the West Coast (being a senior). Below Tampa, It's more like the Keys.....small islands, small towns, laid back and slower paced. The East Coast is for the younger crowd. :D

by Hacksaw
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

PARAM wrote:I like the West Coast (being a senior). Below Tampa, It's more like the Keys.....small islands, small towns, laid back and slower paced. The East Coast is for the younger crowd. :D

Yeah Clearwater, Treasure Island, all the way down to Naples has beautiful locations and beaches. No waves :( but very nice.
I especially like the little town of Anna Maria on the south end of the Tampa Bay. Super laid back and beachy.
I always feel more at home on the west side as the sun sets over the Gulf which reminds me of home here in Laguna where the sun sets on the Pacific. Also south is left with the land at my back.

Still no hills though. Flat as a pancake. Sometimes I catch myself squinting at clouds on the horizon and pretending they're snow capped mountains in the distance. 8-)

by aeneas1
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:I like the West Coast (being a senior). Below Tampa, It's more like the Keys.....small islands, small towns, laid back and slower paced. The East Coast is for the younger crowd. :D

younger crowds? then the average age on the west coast must be around 90, ha ha... i'm in my late 50s and felt like a teen tooling around west plam, vero, port st. lucie, etc... hell, a 60-year-old dude could make a living tuning tricks as a young gigolo where i was on the east coast! anyway, will make it a point to spend more time in florida on my next visit, and check out miami, orlando and maybe the west coast.

• 3 / 3
27 posts Apr 19 2024