86 posts
  • 1 / 9
 by aeneas1
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

we love our rams, arguably blindly at times, in fact my guess would be that all of us are guilty of visiting homerville at one time or another, i know i have, ha ha... so let's play an anti-homer game, let's point out what we don't like about our rams, what we don't like about a favorite player, coach, exec, the owner, etc., i'll go first.

goff - i wish he was more athletic and built differently, watching him take off with the ball can look painful at times, watching him slide can often be cringe worthy, i wish he was more of a threat as a runner, a scrambler, more of a natural... i'm also not crazy about his physical appearance, his build, and i don't like the way his helmet fits, there, i said it.

mcvay - three years in i wish he had a better track record game-planning against the better defenses, both pre-game and in-game, top defenses have absolutely shut down his game-plan far too often - to be clear my expectation isn't to see mcvay light up every defense he faces, even the top defenses, but there have been too may times when the offense has been completely and utterly stymied by the top defenses.

whitworth - he's been a holding machine since he arrived but has somehow, like other top left tackles, been able to get a way with it, but not in 2019, he finished the year ranked 2nd in the league in most offensive holding flags with 10 - in 2019 whitworth also led all rams players in total penalties with 14, that's grob territory (who was flagged 14, 15 and 16 times in his 3 years with the rams)... blame it on the loss of saffold? i can't.

gurley - watching pre-game clips of gurley it's pretty much impossible to claim that his head wasn't in the game, the guy was always fired up and often led rabid pre-game motivation chants, but during the game he just seemed detached far too often, and it really showed when his number was called as a receiver, he booked the lowest catch rate of his career by far in 2019, a lowly 65%, and often looked lost trying to corral the ball, often looked like he just wasn't on the same page on passing plays.

donald - yeah, right, as if.

by DirtyFacedKid
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   973  
United States of America   San Clemente
Veteran

McVay - I wish he were a better game planner. He seemingly lacks the ability to adjust on the fly. It's as if it takes multiple losses before he finally comes out with something different (TE play, for instance). He should be packaging up offensive/defensive hybrids of his base playbook custom tailored for each of his opponents. Belichick does this. He should too. He should also be running Gurley until his knees fall off. This "saving him"/"snap count" crap is stupid. Get what you can out of him NOW.

by snackdaddy
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   9655  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Goff-I wish he would shorten his windup on the throws. Seems like it takes too long to crank it up allowing defenders to get a hand on his arm/hand/ball sometimes.

McVay-I wish he'd hire Veronika as his get back coach.

After Veronika I can't think of anything else. Sorry.

by AvengerRam
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

I do think that McVay needs to be better at adjusting on the fly. At his core, he's a control freak. He wants to script game plans and then execute to perfection. An admirable goal, but you need to be able to make in-game changes when things don't go as planned.

I think McVay's tendencies hold back Goff sometimes. Goff is a much better improvisational QB than some realize. He has made some impressive plays out of the pocket. I think that sometimes a QB needs to get out of his own head and just play a bit of sandlot style. I'd like to see McVay give Goff more freedom to do that.

by snackdaddy
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   9655  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:I do think that McVay needs to be better at adjusting on the fly. At his core, he's a control freak. He wants to script game plans and then execute to perfection. An admirable goal, but you need to be able to make in-game changes when things don't go as planned.

I think McVay's tendencies hold back Goff sometimes. Goff is a much better improvisational QB than some realize. He has made some impressive plays out of the pocket. I think that sometimes a QB needs to get out of his own head and just play a bit of sandlot style. I'd like to see McVay give Goff more freedom to do that.

Hopefully McVay learns to evolve. Some things I've heard make me think he can. I heard he wants his defense to be more flexible. Able switch things around and adjust to what offenses are doing. Wade was not as flexible as McVay wanted him to be.

So I naturally would assume he wants his offense to be the same. No doubt they have plenty of talent. Especially at the skill positions. He's smart enough to adapt when defenses figure out his 11 personnel. I think this past season was another learning lesson for him.

by AvengerRam
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:Hopefully McVay learns to evolve. Some things I've heard make me think he can.

Absolutely. I've always regarded him as having confidence, but not a stubborn ego (like, say... Mike Martz had).

I don't think we've seen the best of McVay yet.

(Guess I went back to full-on homer there. 8-) )

by ziggy
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   595  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Veteran

Yup, I can't help it (anti-homer)...

I think McVay was overwhelmed in '19. He lost a lot of coaching talent and thought he could do it all himself. I bet he had a lot of say in the new staff. So I think good things are coming.

It was a tough season for Goff. I think he did try to improvise and got picked-- a lot. He needs to work out better safety-net throws to the outside and through the back of the end-zone. I know he has a lot of success in the middle crossing lanes; but I bet that's where he's getting either picked or hands/blocked, etc. I believe in the young man and I think he's gonna work on safer throws this off season.

by Elvis
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   38436  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

I don't have anything specific but i'd love to get back to out smarting opponents, doing stuff they simply don't have an answer for, lost a lot of that in 2019 and it's primarily on McVay...

by safer
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   1275  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

Our 2nd game vs. the Niners, McVay had Jared rolling out on almost every play action call. That really helped to protect him and we gave up zero sacks in that game. I hope we do a lot more of that going forward.
What impresses me the most about McVay is his willingness to accept his own faults and his objectivity in improving upon them. Case and point? It had to be VERY difficult for him to tell Wade that his gig was up with us. It was the right move, and it shows his conviction to "we", not "me".

• 1 / 9
86 posts Apr 16 2024