18 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by /zn/
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

I can't find it now. Anyone have ideas on where this can be found?

Anyway if I recall right, Goff was ranked in the top 3 for NFL qbs throwing the ball away.

by AvengerRam
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

Would not surprise me, given that he was frequently pressured but rarely sacked.

by /zn/
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:Would not surprise me, given that he was frequently pressured but rarely sacked.

Exactly.

by LARams_1963
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   1191  
United States of America   North Port, FL
Pro Bowl

It's a great point. When you see his sack numbers, and then the pressures, it goes to show the growth and maturity of knowing when to throw the ball away. I'm not sure what the powers that be consider a throw away but he had a LOT of passes thrown at feet that to me were throw away's.

by snackdaddy
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Sometimes sacks don't tell the whole story. Throwing the ball away is better than a sack, but no gain makes it tougher on the next down(s). Especially if its second and 8 or longer. I don't know what the stats are, but my failing memory seems to recall far too many times we were faced with 3rd and long. Whatever the case, you want the lack of sacks on your quarterback to be because the line was doing its job. Not because he had to throw it away a bunch.

by dieterbrock
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Well, if pressures are a measurable stat, and sacks are a measurable stat, I would think that pressures-sacks= throwaways?
I suppose there could be a handful of rushes in there, but either way that would seem to be a stat worth looking at.
Of course the “pressure” stat is in itself a little interpretive but still

by AltiTude Ram
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   2178  
United States of America   Denver
Pro Bowl

https://www.footballperspective.com/tom ... ggressive/

On the other side of the ledger, we have much-maligned Jared Goff. He may be having a rough year, but this is one area where he shines. Goff throws a pass to a receiver on all but 5% of his passes: he has taken a sack on just 4.0% of his dropbacks and thrown the ball away on only 1.3% of his pass plays. We therefore would say that Goff has not thrown a targeted pass — his No Throw% — on only 5.3% of pass plays, the best rate in the league. The full data set below.

There is a nice table but I'm not smart enough to post it.

by AltiTude Ram
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   2178  
United States of America   Denver
Pro Bowl

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... d_accuracy

Here's a link with Throw aways in the accuracy category. Goff seems to be middle of the pack as far as total number of throw aways.

by BobCarl
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   4296  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

snackdaddy wrote:Whatever the case, you want the lack of sacks on your quarterback to be because the line was doing its job. .
I agree with you 110% But I think there were at least four other problems causing the throw-aways.

1. McVay became too predictable. Enough film study enabled the defense to know the routes that the Rams were going to run .... based on the personnel packages and sets/motion-sets.

2. Even with enough time to throw and the routes were all jumped, there were no secondary routes (at least it looked that way to me).

3. Quite a bit of pre-snap "coverages" in the NFL these days are disguises for something else. It wasn't late into the season that the TE's understand the post-snap middle of the field sight adjustments needed in their routes. With coverage A, the open spot on the field will be different than coverage B or C. I'm glad to see that the TEs finally get this. Henderson hasn't figured this out yet, and when he does he will become a household name in the NFL, he's got juice for big after-the-catch plays.

4. Because of #3 above, Gurley could be spied on for nearly every play, thus he was rendered useless for a lot of plays out of the backfield.

I totally get the "Where's the Beef" requests for our O-Line. This unit is like a McDonald's cheese burger, every year they put smaller patties in the sandwich.

There was plenty of beef on the sandwich in last year's Super Bowl....was there not?

To get to next year's Super Bowl, (in addition to increasing the beef), #1, #2, and #3 above needs be taken care of. I'm very confident that it will be.

NFC Championship game in the new stadium is a real possibility.

And the year after that? Imagine the excitement if on Feb 6, 2022 the Rams are playing in their home stadium for the Lombardi.

by PARAM
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   12241  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:Sometimes sacks don't tell the whole story. Throwing the ball away is better than a sack, but no gain makes it tougher on the next down(s). Especially if its second and 8 or longer. I don't know what the stats are, but my failing memory seems to recall far too many times we were faced with 3rd and long. Whatever the case, you want the lack of sacks on your quarterback to be because the line was doing its job. Not because he had to throw it away a bunch.

Yes but getting sacked holding onto the ball too long makes a second and 8 a third and 14 rather than a 3rd and 8 after a throw away. I think we may be over thinking the whole thing.

Was McVay's offense and tendancies figured out?
Was the offense hindered by OL injuries and subsequently young OL play?
Was the offense hindered because Goff's pick percentage went up by 1/2 a % and his production dropped?
Was the offense hindered because Gurley wasn't the TG3 from 2017 and 2018?
Was the offense hindered from losing Cooks and Everett for some games?
Was the offense hindered from some pretty lousy games by the defense?
Was it all of the above?
A combination of some of the above?
Was it just an off year in many ways that resulted in a lousy 9-7 record? 8-)

If management picked every facet of our game and fired assistant coaches and/or released players because of perceived poor poor coaching or poor play, we'd have half of our staff gone and half of our roster released.

• 1 / 2
18 posts Apr 18 2024