211 posts
  • 7 / 22
 by moklerman
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

I admit, I'm a little behind as to why/how Kromer gets no credit for the really good rushing attacks the Rams had in '17-'18 but needs to be fired now?

Hard for me to blame him too much when a) the Rams chose not to run the ball for much of the season and b) the defense gave up...how many 40+ point games was it?

by R4L
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   1301  
United States of America   Dayton, Ohio
Pro Bowl

moklerman wrote:I admit, I'm a little behind as to why/how Kromer gets no credit for the really good rushing attacks the Rams had in '17-'18 but needs to be fired now?

Hard for me to blame him too much when a) the Rams chose not to run the ball for much of the season and b) the defense gave up...how many 40+ point games was it?

The Rams had no run game because the line sucked. I think the point people are making, at least I am, is Kromer signed off on Noteboom and Allen being legit starters and they weren't.

by moklerman
4 years 2 months ago
Hall of Fame

R4L wrote:The Rams had no run game because the line sucked. I think the point people are making, at least I am, is Kromer signed off on Noteboom and Allen being legit starters and they weren't.
So what's the argument? That Kromer has to nail every personnel choice? That seems a bit of a lofty standard. And that assumes that his "choice" was to move forward with those guys as "plan A".

It seems just as likely to me that he was asked to work with less talent because of salary cap issues. I find it very difficult to assume that Kromer is dictating anything in terms of personnel.

I doubt very much that a run game coordinator was in favor of moving on from Saffold. One may be a great poker player but that doesn't mean you can consistently win with a pair of 2's.

by R4L
4 years 2 months ago
Pro Bowl

moklerman wrote:So what's the argument? That Kromer has to nail every personnel choice? That seems a bit of a lofty standard. And that assumes that his "choice" was to move forward with those guys as "plan A".

It seems just as likely to me that he was asked to work with less talent because of salary cap issues. I find it very difficult to assume that Kromer is dictating anything in terms of personnel.

I doubt very much that a run game coordinator was in favor of moving on from Saffold. One may be a great poker player but that doesn't mean you can consistently win with a pair of 2's.

You're right, he worked with what he had. But so did SF and they are in the SB with guys off the street starting on their OL. I just think Kromers best days are behind him and think the Rams should have moved on from him.

by /zn/
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:Considering the Rams hired an offensive coordinator, there's a fair chance Waldron and Kromer will lose their coordinating duties, or not, guess we'll have to wait for the announcements...

IMO neither Waldron nor Kromer were the coordinator in 2019, nor was it split between them. The coordinator was McV, though he probably drew on the 2 run/pass game coordinators in gameplanning etc.

Actually it is not at all rare for a team to have an official offensive coordinator, AND a run game coordinator or a pass game coordinator or both.

Shanahan did it the McV way in 2019. He was essentially the offensive architect but he also had both a run game coordinator and a pass game coordinator.

Those particular titles are pretty open ended. It's common, for example, for the OL coach to design or contribute to designing the run game, since the RB and blockers have to work in so closely in sync for a run play to work. That's whether or not an OL coach has an official "run game coordinator" title. In fact, Hanifan played that role for Martz, without the title.

by Hacksaw
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

R4L wrote:You're right, he worked with what he had. But so did SF and they are in the SB with guys off the street starting on their OL. I just think Kromers best days are behind him and think the Rams should have moved on from him.

Could be, , , or their 'off the street' guys are more talented than our draft selections, aging vets and f/a's.

by moklerman
4 years 2 months ago
Hall of Fame

R4L wrote:You're right, he worked with what he had. But so did SF and they are in the SB with guys off the street starting on their OL. I just think Kromers best days are behind him and think the Rams should have moved on from him.
I think it's important to remember that we can't look at the running game in a vacuum. You mention SF and their o-line performing better while still dealing with adversity but a big part of that was their commitment to the running game and even more importantly, their dominating defense.

The Rams were lacking in both of those areas. The running game wasn't as dominant when they used it but they(McVay?) all too often just abandoned it. Sometimes that was due to circumstance and the inconsistent defense and sometimes that was an apparent preference to lean on the passing game.

by PARAM
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   12244  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:I think it's important to remember that we can't look at the running game in a vacuum. You mention SF and their o-line performing better while still dealing with adversity but a big part of that was their commitment to the running game and even more importantly, their dominating defense.

The Rams were lacking in both of those areas. The running game wasn't as dominant when they used it but they(McVay?) all too often just abandoned it. Sometimes that was due to circumstance and the inconsistent defense and sometimes that was an apparent preference to lean on the passing game.

Like I said in an earlier post, it's over reaction. The D sucked, fire the DC. The line sucked, fire the OL. The offense sucked, fire the OC.....oh now wait a minute....can't do that, he's the head coach. Like I said "over reaction".

As far as Noteboom and Allen not being legit NFL lineman, we're going to have to wait and see. They'll be back in 2020 and probably starting so forgive me if I excuse that clusterfuck of an offense right down to the OL play. I thought Evans, Edwards (sans the false starts and holding calls) and Corbett acquitted themselves (and Kromer) quite well.

by R4L
4 years 2 months ago
Pro Bowl

PARAM wrote:Like I said in an earlier post, it's over reaction. The D sucked, fire the DC. The line sucked, fire the OL. The offense sucked, fire the OC.....oh now wait a minute....can't do that, he's the head coach. Like I said "over reaction".

As far as Noteboom and Allen not being legit NFL lineman, we're going to have to wait and see. They'll be back in 2020 and probably starting so forgive me if I excuse that clusterfuck of an offense right down to the OL play. I thought Evans, Edwards (sans the false starts and holding calls) and Corbett acquitted themselves (and Kromer) quite well.

I know you're pro Kromer and that's cool with me. We all have our opinions.

We agree the line played like shit right? That's got to fall on someone. It's probably a combination of Kromer, McVay and Snead and they came to that conclusion together.

They didn't make Kromer the scapegoat. But this is probably a prove it year for him. The Rams won't continue letting him get by on name recognition alone.

I agree with you on Noteboom, he may have a future at LT but he's a big unknown because of injury.

Allen to me is a backup at best. He gets manhandled and blown off the line way too often to be a starter, imo.

I agree on Corbett, Evans and Edwards. The Rams don't need many pieces just 5 guys that play well together.

by dieterbrock
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:I think it's important to remember that we can't look at the running game in a vacuum. You mention SF and their o-line performing better while still dealing with adversity but a big part of that was their commitment to the running game and even more importantly, their dominating defense.

And looking at the 49ers dominant running game, who the eff are these backs? Talk about guys off the street. It’s akin to the Rams picking up the right guy for the scheme in CJ Anderson last year. They just happened across a bunch of whothefuckishe players.
Meanwhile the Rams dont have a single back over 3.9 ypc while last year the top runners were all over 4.9 ypc

• 7 / 22
211 posts Apr 19 2024