211 posts
  • 1 / 22
 by PARAM
4 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   12243  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Yeah we missed out this year. We went 9-7 in the toughest division in the NFL. And it's because of our in-division performance that we missed out. Sure those were inexcusable losses to Tampa and Dallas but we didn't make it because we couldn't win a 4th division game. Either one of the SF games would have done the trick or that loss to Seattle when we had the game on the tip of GZ's toe. 10-6, 8-4 in the conference. Enough to win a tiebreaker over the Vikings. But I'm over it. So can we talk about the playoffs?

The way I see it I think the Titans beat the unbeatable-at-home Patriots. Belichick is going to game plan to stop Derrick Henry and Tannehill should have the game of his life. Fitting as we all know, eventually, the Patriots will cease being "that team". And it looks like this year may be the first step towards sayonara. Tennessee 26 - 20.

Buffalo will beat the Texans. I like Watson but they haven't been consistent all year. Buffalo has been. Bills 20 - 19.

As much as I'd like to see Wentz fall flat on his face in the postseason, I think he'll get his first win. Seattle just hasn't looked all that strong and sooner or later the law of averages catch up with everybody. 7 wins by 6 points or less, including 2 overtime victories, is remarkable. So when they lose a close one it'll still be a terrific record in tight games. Their defense is suspect IMHO. Philly 27 - 20

The Saints. Oh how we hate those whining Saints and their fans. But I dislike the Vikings more, particularly Cousins and Zimmer. I don't see another miracle finish for them especially with Cousins record in prime time and against winning teams. But that law of averages could come into play. I just see the Saints fans being led along a bit further. When they get beat in a bad weather game at Green Bay, the lawsuits will soon follow, particularly one that challenges the no challenge rule with under 2 minutes in the game (the reason they will be on the road; that no-call PI in the SF/Seattle game). And I will welcome it for two reasons. Saints fans will once again have something to cry about and the rule is stupid. Anyway, New Orleans 29 - 16

Back to the 2 minute challenge rule. Why can't you challenge a call with under 2 minutes in a game if you have timeouts? Why should it be left up to New York? Because it's a crucial time of the game and they don't want unnecessary delays? Half the time a team is out of timeouts by then. But even if they have them, they'll lose one if they lose the challenge. And being the crucial time of the game, all the more reason to allow a challenge. Besides, what's one more stoppage? It takes 20 minutes to play the last 2 or 3 minutes of a game anyway.

Well that's how I see the first round. Probably dead wrong but who cares? It's fun to get prognosticate. And while I'm prognosticating, I see the Rams in the playoffs much more often than not, while McVay and Goff are together. :D

by snackdaddy
4 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

The AFC games are Saturday. The NFC is Sunday. First game Bills at Texans. That is a hard one to predict. Watson can be a frustrating quarterback for defenses. But sometimes he just doesn't get it done. I think I go with the Bills on that one.

I know the Patriots have a chink in their armor now. Tannehill has done some good things for the Titans. Another tough one. But I think the Patriots at home gives them an edge. Don't be surprised to see them benefit from a few timely penalties in crucial situations. It always seems to happen for them. Legit or not.

In the NFC, I wouldn't be surprised to see New Orleans run the Vikings out of the building. I think they beat them soundly. Something like 35-17.

Seattle had a nice run. Not many expected them to be 11-3 going into the final two games. But the loss of their running backs is huge. Its all going to be on Russell Wilson's shoulders. He might be able to pull this one off. But I don't see it happening the following week.

by aeneas1
4 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

hard to argue the ravens at #1, but the niners at #3 seems to be a reflection of how they finished the season, squeaking out wins... fwiw the afc has won 5 of the last 7 super bowls, of course the patriots account for 3 of those wins.

so who are you guys/gals pulling for?

me? i'd love to see the patriots win it again, just to pile onto the insanity of their 20 years of nfl dominance, would be good for a chuckle, plus it would smoke out the tin foil hat fringe and their claim that the win was further proof the nfl was fixed, which is always good for a chuckle.

as far as the nfc is concerned, would like to see either the seahawks or vikes get to the big show, seattle because it would help wilson land the mvp which i think he deserves (despite mccaffrey's incredible season), and the vikes because it would put my twin bro on cloud nine.

01.png

by aeneas1
4 years 3 months ago
Hall of Fame

brees and tannehill turned the saints and titans offensive fortunes around, and the chiefs found a defense.

here's a look at where the playoff teams ranked in offensive scoring and offensive points allowed for the year - also included is where they ranked for the first 10 games of the season and the last 6 games.

getting brees back and tannehill certainly changed the offensive fortunes for the saints and titans - the saints jumped from a 17th ranking in offensive scoring through the first 10 games, to a 1st ranking over the last 6, while the titans jumped from a 23rd ranking in offensive scoring through the first 10 games, to a 2nd ranking over the last 6... the chiefs also turned their defense around, they ranked 21st in offensive points allowed through the first 10 games, to league best over the final 6 games.

01.png

by Elvis
4 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   38452  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Wild card weekend:

Houston (home) -2.5 vs. Buffalo
New England (home) -5 vs. Tennessee

New Orleans (home) -7.5 vs. Minnesota
Philidelphia (home) +1.5 vs. Seattle

Who do you like?

by Haden
4 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   2134  
United States of America   Spokane, WA
RFU Survivor Champ

Never, ever count Belichek out in the playoffs, where he shows schemes he's held back all year. (As much as I would love him to fail). Patriots win.

Buffalo's offense sucks. Houston wins.

New Orleans will roll Minny with ease.

Philly primarily beat the shitty teams in its division. The get beat soundly by the Hawks who play well on the road these days.

There are my predictions.

by aeneas1
4 years 3 months ago
Hall of Fame

hey mods, didn't see pa's playoff thread, can you merge this with his, thanks!

by aeneas1
4 years 3 months ago
Hall of Fame

only 3 defenses that ranked in the top 10 in fewest offensive points allowed didn't make the postseason:

#4 steelers, their offense ranked 31st in scoring.
#6 broncos, their offense ranked 27th in scoring.
#7 bears, their offense ranked 29th in scoring.

only two offenses that ranked in the top 10 in scoring didn't make the postseason:

#4 cowboys, their defense ranked 12th in offensive points allowed.
#6 bucs, their defense ranked 26th in offensive points allowed.

by CanuckRightWinger
4 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

I am with my Cascadian neighbor Haden where my head says that Seattle's Russell Wilson heroics will propel the Seahawks into the next Round past a floundering AND UNDESERVING Eagles team.
My heart? My heart wants Carson EasternMediaDarling Wentz to throw 3 picks, cough up 2 fumbles, have a QB Rating of 12, and look like Joe Pisarchek next Sunday. Fook Philly, fook the horse they rode in on, and fook their classless fans!!! :x :arrow2: :evil2:

With Buffalo at Houston, whilst I agree in my head that the Buffalo Offense is no juggernaut, I think the Bills D fold up Texans RBs Carlos Hyde and Duke Johnson, put them in envelopes and mail them back to Ohio and FLA respectively. The Texans QB Deshaun AnotherMediaDarling Watson is overrated IMO, and I hope he stinks up the joint on Saturday.
My heart reminds me that I grew up just across the Niagara River from Buffalo....my first underaged beer was a Genesee....great memories for me on the other side of the Peace Bridge. I was at the Official Opening of Orchard Park Stadium in 1974, home on military leave, when George Allen's Redskins were in Buffalo for a PreSeason Game....and before that I watched my first ever Rams game live, at old War Memorial Stadium (aka "The Old RockPile" to native Buffalonians like Ron Jaworski) in 1970 when George Allen's Fearsome Foursome & Co shutout the Bills 19-0. So yeah, I want to see Bill ArrogantAss O'Brien's team humbled by the small-market underdog Bills! :idea2:

In New England my head says Bill Belichick will find a way at home to beat the upstart Titans. My heart favors Rodger Saffold I guess, but I'm not too invested in this one. Meh!

Finally my head says it is VERY VERY tough to win in New Orleans, so it's doubtful the Vikings overcome that 7.5 points Las Vegas has locked in. My heart wants the whiney New Orleans crowd to go home pizzed-off, playing that Victimitis Game they love so much. I hate Bud Grant's old Vikings teams that upset Los Ramos FOUR FOOKING TIMES (thrice on Minny tundra & once in the LA MudBowl!!)…..but I do not hate Mike KindlyFatherlyType Zimmer at all. I thought he was great that time draftnik Mike Mayhack calls him live to draft that German Beer League WR kid on the air.....and he did it! Pretty cool!! 8-)

My question from the OP:
Hey PA, why are you scape-goating Mike NiceGuy Zimmer huh?? ;) :arrow2: :lol2:

by PARAM
4 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   12243  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

CanuckRightWinger wrote:My question from the OP:
Hey PA, why are you scape-goating Mike NiceGuy Zimmer huh?? ;) :arrow2: :lol2:

LOL!!! Because his defenses, where ever he was DC or HC, allowed 24+ PPG (on average) in the postseason. His personal postseason record in those two positions is 1-8. I'll take the over Sunday!!!

• 1 / 22
211 posts Apr 18 2024