130 posts
  • 6 / 13
 by norcalramfan
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   321  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Starter

It appears to me that Big Whit and his agent have had some discussions with Snead and there is a mutual interest in getting a one-year deal done. Whit seems to love the LA area, just bought a very large house and his kids are active in youth sporting activities. Not that he can't relocate, but it just seems he wants to give it one more year and is confident he can get a deal done with the Rams.

I think he should be brought back so the Rams can continue the development of Noteboom and he can help the OL continue developing.

by Hacksaw
4 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

I agree if the price is right. Some guys can last longer than others. He is no longer at the top of his game though so they shouldn't rely on him to be 'the man'. More talented beef need to be injected.

by Hacksaw
4 years 2 months ago

Rams 2020 free agency preview: Can Greg Zuerlein bounce back?

1.jpg

Cameron DaSilva
February 15, 2020 11:38 am ET

There were a lot of reasons the Los Angeles Rams came up short of the playoffs in 2020, and while it’s unfair to blame one single factor, Greg Zuerlein’s struggles played a role in the team’s 9-7 records. He had his worst season since 2015, and arguably the second-worst campaign of his career.

He made only 72.7% of his field goal attempts, making just five of his 11 attempts from the all-important range of 40-49 yards. His miss from 44 yards in Week 5 against the Seahawks in the final seconds cost the Rams a win, also missing a 52-yarder against the 49ers in Week 16, which wound up as a three-point loss.

Zuerlein has been with the Rams for nine years, but will they keep him around for the future after a down season?

2019 stats: 24-for-33 FGs (72.7%), 42-for-42 PATs

Analysis

Zuerlein was one of the best kickers in football in 2017 and 2018. He was even named a first-team All-Pro in 2017, making 38 of 40 field goal attempts and 44 of 46 PATs. His field goal percentage dropped to 87.1% in 2018, but he was still clutch for the Rams and helped land them in the Super Bowl with game-tying and game-winning kicks in the NFC championship game.

For whatever reason, Zuerlein’s accuracy fell off in 2019. He was returning from a foot injury that he suffered in the playoffs and he had a minor quad injury late in the 2019 season, but those are unlikely to have affected his performance.

Positional need: Medium

Kicker isn’t always the most prioritized position on a team, but as we saw with the Rams last season, the performance of Zuerlein played a role in their absence from the playoffs. The problem is, finding a reliable kicker is easier said than done.

The Rams don’t have another option on the roster and there aren’t any good one available in free agency. So if they do move on from Zuerlein and let him leave this March, they’ll likely need to find a rookie in the draft or as a priority free agent.

Prediction: Signs three-year, $12 million deal with the Rams.

2.jpg

The Rams know Zuerlein well, and they’re aware of how good he can be. He showed excellent accuracy in 2017 and 2018 and there’s reason to believe he can bounce back with another great year in 2020.

They should attempt to re-sign him for at least one more season, hoping he can regain his past form. Yes, he’s 33 years old, but kickers can play well into their late 30s. A three-year deal with an easy out after two seasons would work for the Rams, loading it with incentives and not a lot guaranteed.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2020/0 ... -analysis/

by AvengerRam
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

I fail to see how a 32 year old kicker can be deemed past the point of bouncing back. There have been many PKs who played well late into their 30s. GZ had an off year. Unless his contract demands are outrageous, I want him back.

by Hacksaw
4 years 1 month ago

AvengerRam wrote:I fail to see how a 32 year old kicker can be deemed past the point of bouncing back. There have been many PKs who played well late into their 30s. GZ had an off year. Unless his contract demands are outrageous, I want him back.

I'll add a possible chronic back problem as another concern. Hoping that is not the case...

by BobCarl
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   4296  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

Prediction: Signs three-year, $12 million deal with the Rams.

Something tells me that a 3-yr $12 mill contract won't happen. i'd like to see him play for 5 years or more, but another team will prolly pay him more

by Hacksaw
4 years 1 month ago

I really hate getting poached !!!

Still GZ seems to still have an amazing leg but just maybe, something structurally seems to be breaking downward ...

by dieterbrock
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

My prediction is that the Colts offer Zuerlein a solid deal, much more than what the Rams can afford. Its the perfect storm, kick in a dome, mid west town, tons of cap room....
Heck he'll be a baby at 32 compared to Vinateri's 47 years

by AvengerRam
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

FWIW, here are the top PK prospects, according the CBSSports:

Rodrigo Blankenship Georgia Sr K 1 6-1 191
Dominik Eberle Utah St. Sr K 2 6-2 190
Tyler Bass Ga. Southern Sr K 3 5-10 185
JJ Molson UCLA Sr K 4 6-1 197
Cooper Rothe Wyoming Sr K 5 5-11 178