42 posts
  • 2 / 5
 by moklerman
4 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:You’ve said as much. “Use a 3rd round pick”... guess what, Mannion is a 3rd round pick.

Oh.. suggesting that Goff’s body of work doesn’t make ED’s comment irrelevant is stupid and trolling.
But I didn't say EVERY 3rd rd QB, now did I? The quote you're taking out of context is from a conversation specifically about Cousins.

Mannion has a grand total of 2 starts in his whole career so anyone saying they know what he is is just blowing smoke. And both of those starts were with backups in meaningless games.

The Goff complex around here is getting ridiculous. It's pretty silly that this thread was even created.

by Elvis
4 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   38611  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

5 years in the NFL and no one thinks he’s starter material and in fact he had to compete for his backup job, not an impressive resume, maybe not conclusive but pretty telling...

by moklerman
4 years 3 months ago
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:5 years in the NFL and no one thinks he’s starter material and in fact he had to compete for his backup job, not an impressive resume, maybe not conclusive but pretty telling...
Correct. NOT conclusive. Are we really going to assume he had any kind of realistic shot at overtaking Goff or Cousins? At those costs?

by Elvis
4 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   38611  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

moklerman wrote:Correct. NOT conclusive. Are we really going to assume he had any kind of realistic shot at overtaking Goff or Cousins? At those costs?

This really is stupid. He's been in the league 5 years, barely beat out Sloter for the backup job in Minny. May not be conclusive but it's pretty telling...

by moklerman
4 years 3 months ago
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:This really is stupid. He's been in the league 5 years, barely beat out Sloter for the backup job in Minny. May not be conclusive but it's pretty telling...
It probably is. I was never a Mannion fan. But to conclude that a mop-up game proves anything and to go to the trouble of bragging about it seems like trolling to me.

by dieterbrock
4 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:Correct. NOT conclusive. Are we really going to assume he had any kind of realistic shot at overtaking Goff or Cousins? At those costs?

You mean like the way Cousins overtook RGIII?
It’s truly amazing how defensive you get for any/every QB not named Goff.

by moklerman
4 years 3 months ago
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:You mean like the way Cousins overtook RGIII?
It’s truly amazing how defensive you get for any/every QB not named Goff.
Do you honestly think they were the same situations? Wilson overtaking Flynn is a lot better exception to the rule but generally speaking, a backup isn't going to overtake a high-priced acquisition.

by moklerman
4 years 3 months ago
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:Especially if they're not very good. Like Mannion.
I think it's important to remember what and WHEN Dickerson said what he said:
He said Friday on Fox Sports 1: "My guy that I would start the season with would be Sean Mannion. I've been saying that since last year. Give him a shot."
This was coming off Goff's less than productive rookie season and he suggests "giving him a shot". The only reason it's remotely controversial is because of how much the Rams spent on Goff. Goff looked as bad as Leaf or Russell and was potentially a bust. Well, Mannion never got his shot in the QB friendly, advantageous situation that Goff got from '17-'18 so no one will ever know.

by Hacksaw
4 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Dick84 wrote:Especially if they're not very good. Like Mannion.

Haha, Exactly! Dude never impressed.

by dieterbrock
4 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:Do you honestly think they were the same situations? Wilson overtaking Flynn is a lot better exception to the rule but generally speaking, a backup isn't going to overtake a high-priced acquisition.

Cousins took over for an ineffective Griffin after being impressive in spot duty.
Mannion has sucked in his spot starts, his handful of game plays and most of pre-season.
Because he’s not very good.

Mannion career stats:
45/74 384 yards 3 INT, 2 fumbles lost, 57.5 passer rating and only 1 TD pass.
Unfortunately the TD pass was to the other teams defense

• 2 / 5
42 posts Apr 29 2024