22 posts
  • 1 / 3
 by ramsrams
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   1176  
Canada   Mississauga, ON
Pro Bowl

Does it seem the special teams aren’t clicking like in years past?

Whether it be a Leg miss, a punt block, or a Hekker shank, it seems like it is always something. Every game. These guys are elite, gotta clean that up.

Really like what I have seen from Obo so far. Got both the long strides and some quick twitch. He gets there in a hurry. Teach him how to play the run next year, and if he can handle that, sure, easier said than done, the Rams have a player.

by moklerman
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

ramsrams wrote:Does it seem the special teams aren’t clicking like in years past?

Whether it be a Leg miss, a punt block, or a Hekker shank, it seems like it is always something. Every game. These guys are elite, gotta clean that up.

Really like what I have seen from Obo so far. Got both the long strides and some quick twitch. He gets there in a hurry. Teach him how to play the run next year, and if he can handle that, sure, easier said than done, the Rams have a player.
I'd say that part of it is lack of repetition. At least when we're talking about going back to Fisher. His teams seemed to be predicated on depending on the special teams while McVay's aren't. I'd much rather the focus and success being geared toward the offense and defense if it's just a matter of time spent in practice.

Do the Rams punt and attempt FG's at (much)lower rate than before McVay? It sure seems like we see Hekker a lot less than we used to. Zeurlein too.

by ramsman34
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   8545  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

moklerman wrote:I'd say that part of it is lack of repetition. At least when we're talking about going back to Fisher. His teams seemed to be predicated on depending on the special teams while McVay's aren't. I'd much rather the focus and success being geared toward the offense and defense if it's just a matter of time spent in practice.

Do the Rams punt and attempt FG's at (much)lower rate than before McVay? It sure seems like we see Hekker a lot less than we used to. Zeurlein too.

You are probably right, never thought of that really. I only notice when we have to kick FGs instead of getting TDs.

by Haden
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   2135  
United States of America   Spokane, WA
RFU Survivor Champ

Yes, it does seem that way. I don’t trust that zurlein will come through. He lost us the Seattle and Pitt games

by R4L
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   1301  
United States of America   Dayton, Ohio
Pro Bowl

Haden wrote:Yes, it does seem that way. I don’t trust that zurlein will come through. He lost us the Seattle and Pitt games

Yeah for sure. I know he made the huge kick to get us to the Super bowl, but i would move on from him this offseason since he's a free agent. He's become a liability imo

by dieterbrock
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Zuerline is kicking more now than he ever did with Fisher. By a mile. And much more effectively
In 78 games from 2012-2016 Z made
143/146 xp (1.87 att per game) 98%
112/141 FG (1.81 att per game) 79.4%
With McVay in 38 games
112/115 xp (3.03 att per game) 97%
87/100 FG (2.63 att per game) 87%
And this doesn’t even discount the fact that XP in McVay era are virtually FG compared to the old chip shot.

Hekker for sure has seen his punts per game down (from a whopping 5.4 per game to 3.5) but his punt avg from 2012-2016 was 46.8 and in McVay era is 47.3

by Rams1PlateSince1976
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   2084  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

I certainly wouldn't label him a liability ((who would you replace him with?)) but special teams have not had the success this year as in the past two. Would be a nice time for teams to pick up the pace.

by dieterbrock
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Rams1PlateSince1976 wrote:I certainly wouldn't label him a liability ((who would you replace him with?)) but special teams have not had the success this year as in the past two. Would be a nice time for teams to pick up the pace.

Agreed. And there have been some tragically awful kickers this year in Indy, Tampa, New England, Dallas and Tennessee just to name a few. So it’s a good year to be a UFA pro-bowl type kicker

by R4L
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   1301  
United States of America   Dayton, Ohio
Pro Bowl

dieterbrock wrote:Agreed. And there have been some tragically awful kickers this year in Indy, Tampa, New England, Dallas and Tennessee just to name a few. So it’s a good year to be a UFA pro-bowl type kicker

Don't get me wrong, i like Zuerlein. But he seems to have been missing big kicks this year more than in the past. I'm getting divorced so i guess I'm in the move on to the next one mood :lol2:

by Hacksaw
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

R4L wrote:Yeah for sure. I know he made the huge kick to get us to the Super bowl, but i would move on from him this offseason since he's a free agent. He's become a liability imo

Who's better you'd rather have,, especially from 50+ ?

• 1 / 3
22 posts Apr 25 2024