23 posts
  • 2 / 3
 by /zn/
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   6764  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:Just showing one example.

I think Fowler’s been fine, but I’m not sure what “fine” gets in free agency.

The last 3/4 OLB I know about who came up for a starters 2nd contract was Za'Darius Smith. He signed last off-season for 16.5 M a year. Naturally since 2nd contracts go up every year it would be reasonable to expect anyone signing this coming year would get more.

Smith's best year before this was 2018, and so his deal was based on 2018...when he got 8.5 sacks. He only started 8 games, though he saw the field in the other games. In 2018 he played 690 defensive snaps in 16 games. So far in 12 games this year, Fowler has played 666 defensive snaps.

This year so far Smith has 10 sacks.

by Neil039
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   2664  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

IMO layman fan opinion....move on from Fowler and use those resource dollars on the Oline. Specifically center and Tackle. But hey I don’t have only in the front offices ear.

by R4L
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   1301  
United States of America   Dayton, Ohio
Pro Bowl

We haven't seen Obo play extensively enough to draw a conclusion imo.

Fowler will probably have double digit sacks but not sure how much that makes him worth. He's still a liability in the run game along with Matthews as teams continue to run right at them.

by safer
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   1275  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

Canuck,
I agree with your letting Brockers go too. I think Joseph-Day would be just fine replacing him next year. Very similar type of players, to me.
I realize that the sample size is pretty puny on OBO, but that is NOT as risky as paying Fowler, Jr. an elite salary without the results to back it.
The BIGGEST reason I don't want us to re-sign Fowler? It isn't as much about him as it is A) quality, comparable depth behind him (not as much drop-off in talent), and B) greater needs signing Cory, Ramsey and a much improved Oline.

by dieterbrock
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Sadly I believe we will see what Brockers true value is/was if he is indeed let go.
Cant pay everyone and he is looking at his last shot at big $$$
If there was a choice between he and Fowler, I'd take Brock all day. Reality says we let both go.

by Haden
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   2135  
United States of America   Spokane, WA
RFU Survivor Champ

Neil039 wrote:IMO layman fan opinion....move on from Fowler and use those resource dollars on the Oline. Specifically center and Tackle. But hey I don’t have only in the front offices ear.

I totally agree

by CanuckRightWinger
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

As ralphdieterbrock accurately opines "reality" (IE. Salary Cap reality) will dictate that neither Fowler nor Brockers are re-signed by Los Ramos for 2020. :idea2:

BUT....for Fowler's ER spot, we still have the services on one Clay Mathews, who lest we forget, prior to having his jaw broken in Seattle, was more productive than the more expensive Fowler in the SACKS department. :idea2:

Mathews, whose NFL uncle and dad played nearly into their 40's, seems to still have some ample gas in the tank....and he is also under contract with the Rams for 2020 8-) ......so Clay Mathews, Obo, Ebukam, and Natrez Patrick are under contract for 2020....looks like some starting talent there, plus some depth :idea2:
.....and besides the OLB/ER youthful PS yutes of Jachai Polite & Landis Durham, we also have Justin Lawler and Josh Carraway coming back off IR for 2020......

....so our OLB/ER cupboard is hardly bare just because we have to jettison one Dante Fowler due to sound cost-management. Moreover we will probably net a nice 3rd Round Compensatory Pick for Les Snead to play with in the 2021 NFL Draft eh!!! ;) :arrow2: 8-)

by snackdaddy
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   9661  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:Just showing one example.

I think Fowler’s been fine, but I’m not sure what “fine” gets in free agency.

Fine probably gets more than we can afford. Quarterbacks, edge rushers and corners get paid in this league. And they don't have to be elite to get a 5 year 50 mil or better contract.

by CanuckRightWinger
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

To expand on SnackDaddy's smart & accurate take on Free Agency...a little history:

Trumaine Johnson was "fine" with us.
He got a monster contract from the NY Jets.
Los Ramos got a nice Compensatory Pick for TruJo.

....and today, the NY Jets rue the day they signed that "fine" player, Trumaine Johnson to the point where they benched him earlier this season! :idea2:

Point being "fine" is not "elite".....and therefore not worth "elite" money!
TruJo was fine, but not elite. Yet he got elite money.
Fowler is fine, but not elite. Yet Fowler will get elite money in 2020 from some team with an anemic pass rush.

As always, JMO.

by Hacksaw
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Dick84 wrote:Gonna be some move that surprises people.

I think this post will prove to be prophetic !

• 2 / 3
23 posts Apr 25 2024