12 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by AvengerRam
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

The field at the Coliseum seemed to be in pretty raggedy shape on Sunday night. What was up with the surface? Neither USC nor UCLA played on Saturday. Had it been raining?

This also made me wonder... what is the new surface going to be at Stanadu? With the glass canopy, I suppose they could still grow real grass (?), but I'm guessing its going to be field turf. Anyone know?

by Gareth
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   1207  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

No rain in the area at all. In fact it has been unseasonably warm.

The new stadium will be some kind of artificial turf.

FYI UCLA plays at the rose bowl, not the Coliseum.

by St. Loser Fan
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   10511  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

The roof with be plastic and they said that the material filters out wavelengths on sunlight that grass needs to grow well. I can't find the quote but they explored the idea of doing grass and were talked out of it. The only way to have a grass field would have been to put it on a movable "tray" like Arizona which adds cost and takes up valuable real estate.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Unive ... 12.2625593
(Zoom in and you can see the field outside the stadium.)

by AvengerRam
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

Gareth wrote:No rain in the area at all. In fact it has been unseasonably warm.

Guess the groundskeepers have not been doing their job then. The field looked like a herd of bison had trampled it, and players were slipping all night.

by rams74
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   1469  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

AvengerRam wrote:Guess the groundskeepers have not been doing their job then. The field looked like a herd of bison had trampled it, and players were slipping all night.

It seems like the Coliseum turf is always a mess late in the season. But maybe it's just me.

by St. Loser Fan
4 years 4 months ago
Hall of Fame

rams74 wrote:It seems like the Coliseum turf is always a mess late in the season. But maybe it's just me.

It's not just you.

Plus not being able to put the turf down until late July and a dry fall isn't helping. There hasn't been a good growing season yet for the turf to really take root.

by Hacksaw
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

St. Loser Fan wrote:It's not just you.

Plus not being able to put the turf down until late July and a dry fall isn't helping. There hasn't been a good growing season yet for the turf to really take root.

Also, frequently playing 2 games a weekend probably didn't help those turf conditions.

by St. Loser Fan
4 years 4 months ago
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:Also, frequently playing 2 games a weekend probably didn't help those turf conditions.

True. Hopefully USC will have a nicer surface to play on next year. Give it 7 or 8 months more time to grow.

by Hacksaw
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

St. Loser Fan wrote:True. Hopefully USC will have a nicer surface to play on next year. Give it 7 or 8 months more time to grow.

Yeah, roots are good.

• 1 / 2
12 posts Apr 16 2024