32 posts
  • 1 / 4
 by SolarRam
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   140  
United States of America   San Diego, CA
Practice Squad

I like the guy, I really do...but he needs to take a long look in the mirror and figure some things out and figure it out FAST! He's acting like a young coach and acting his age. He isn't doing what mature adults do, and that's reflect on whats going on, speak honestly, and use truth to motivate his team. He simply repeats the same coach speak: "I need to put my players in a better position to succeed."

The problem is that he isn't listening to his own words. He's in the middle of losing this team...and it's pissing me off. Can someone older and wiser shake him and wake him up? So frustrating to watch. The game plans are from 2017 and 2018.

Take a look at what he admires:
https://www.totalprosports.com/2019/02/ ... ted-video/

Ray Lewis was right, on Inside the NFL after the Super Bowl...this is the moment the Rams lost the game. Why would you say that to your opponent BEFORE the game.

Gurley is treating McVay exactly how he treated Fisher when he knew it was a middle school offense. Gurley knows that McVay calling the same plays over and over again is never going to work. There's too much tape and he knows his coach isn't evolving. Is Gurley also hampered? Yes...but for crying out loud, use a different formation. Use the power run game instead of the zone blocking that everyone knows is coming. Look what happens when they run it 7 times in a row to open up the Niners game. Totally unexpected. Why did the line do so well during that drive? Cause they didn't know that was coming....

Another example of what McVay does: Take a look at the 3 plays with Kupp in the Bengals game where they ran the deep crossing route...over and over again. Its like McVay is OCD. Why execute that play 3 times on that drive, why not use it sporadically? Why not use it when you're offense is stalled later in the game.

Now go back to when Gurley was yelling at him a few weeks back on the goal line. Gurley knows that the OCD play calling is transparent as hell. He's over it and he doesn't care.

Its not the Oline guys...its his transparent play calling that's making the Oline look crappy and play worse than they are. A good coach would change his route tree to shorter less time consuming routes. A good coach would get the heck out of all that 11-personnel. A good coach would call 1 slant on every drive for the next 8 games. A good coach would game plan differently 1 week to see what effect it had on the moral of his team. A great coach would become unpredictable by running the ball more than passing.

Run different plays week to week. Its so easy to tell when its a run and a pass. If its easy for us to see it, imagine what it looks like to an opposing D lineman. The genius card is turning into a Josh McDaniels card....Hubris. And you know what that gets you? A lost locker room and star running back that doesn't care one bit.

Obviously the staff isn't what it used to be. So frustrated! Someone wake up our coach!!!! Wade, drop some wisdom on this young adult!!!! Maybe having Matt LaFleur was more important than we realized. Maybe he was the yin to McVays yang.

by norcalramfan
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   321  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Starter

It's all about the play of the OL. They're old (Whitworth), and too young and inexperienced (Noteboom, Allen, Edwars etc) and not as stout as they should be. Goff has not forgotten how to pass, nor has TG forgotten how to run. Brown and Henderson didn't have much more success than TG. It's all about the OL.

The OL doesn't hold the point of attack, they are back peddling and being pushed into Goff on every passing down. He has no time to to go through the route tree progression and he is a pocket passer. McVay took this team over from the depths of an NFL also-ran and won the division two years in a row and got the team to the SB in year two.

Shanahan had the Niners playing like he was an absolute mistake of a hiring in years 1 and 2 and now has them playing quite well. He didn't become a genius in year 3 anymore than you suggest the opposite in McVay and that he's regressed in year 3.

It's all about the OL and their inability to create time for Goff and running lanes for the RB's. I would suggest the problem is less McVay and more Kroemer. His fingerprints are all over this shit show from talent evaluation and expected player ascension possibilities (Noteboom and Allen-were not ready and Demby is nothing more than a PS player).

by Haden
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   2135  
United States of America   Spokane, WA
RFU Survivor Champ

SolarRam wrote:I like the guy, I really do...but he needs to take a long look in the mirror and figure some things out and figure it out FAST! He's acting like a young coach and acting his age. He isn't doing what mature adults do, and that's reflect on whats going on, speak honestly, and use truth to motivate his team. He simply repeats the same coach speak: "I need to put my players in a better position to succeed."

The problem is that he isn't listening to his own words. He's in the middle of losing this team...and it's pissing me off. Can someone older and wiser shake him and wake him up? So frustrating to watch. The game plans are from 2017 and 2018.

Take a look at what he admires:
https://www.totalprosports.com/2019/02/ ... ted-video/

Ray Lewis was right, on Inside the NFL after the Super Bowl...this is the moment the Rams lost the game. Why would you say that to your opponent BEFORE the game.

Gurley is treating McVay exactly how he treated Fisher when he knew it was a middle school offense. Gurley knows that McVay calling the same plays over and over again is never going to work. There's too much tape and he knows his coach isn't evolving. Is Gurley also hampered? Yes...but for crying out loud, use a different formation. Use the power run game instead of the zone blocking that everyone knows is coming. Look what happens when they run it 7 times in a row to open up the Niners game. Totally unexpected. Why did the line do so well during that drive? Cause they didn't know that was coming....

Another example of what McVay does: Take a look at the 3 plays with Kupp in the Bengals game where they ran the deep crossing route...over and over again. Its like McVay is OCD. Why execute that play 3 times on that drive, why not use it sporadically? Why not use it when you're offense is stalled later in the game.

Now go back to when Gurley was yelling at him a few weeks back on the goal line. Gurley knows that the OCD play calling is transparent as hell. He's over it and he doesn't care.

Its not the Oline guys...its his transparent play calling that's making the Oline look crappy and play worse than they are. A good coach would change his route tree to shorter less time consuming routes. A good coach would get the heck out of all that 11-personnel. A good coach would call 1 slant on every drive for the next 8 games. A good coach would game plan differently 1 week to see what effect it had on the moral of his team. A great coach would become unpredictable by running the ball more than passing.

Run different plays week to week. Its so easy to tell when its a run and a pass. If its easy for us to see it, imagine what it looks like to an opposing D lineman. The genius card is turning into a Josh McDaniels card....Hubris. And you know what that gets you? A lost locker room and star running back that doesn't care one bit.

Obviously the staff isn't what it used to be. So frustrated! Someone wake up our coach!!!! Wade, drop some wisdom on this young adult!!!! Maybe having Matt LaFleur was more important than we realized. Maybe he was the yin to McVays yang.

Excellent analysis. Couldn’t agree more

by Haden
4 years 5 months ago
RFU Survivor Champ

When you look at the offense last year with LaFleur and see how Green Bay has improved with LaFleur, he may be the answer to all the questions

by SolarRam
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   140  
United States of America   San Diego, CA
Practice Squad

@norcalramfan if the line can't in pass pro, then play calling needs to change in order to accommodate. McVay is ignoring his weaknesses and choosing to continue anyways...that's a sign of bad and immature coaching. If Noteboom and Allen were not ready, then adjustment is a must...which is exactly what we're not seeing from McVay. The buck stops with him because he's the head coach. We can't blame the Oline here. Its on McVay.

by St. Loser Fan
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   10515  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

How do we know McVay “is about to lose the locker room”? Not every downturn means a player revolt.

by moklerman
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

St. Loser Fan wrote:How do we know McVay “is about to lose the locker room”? Not every downturn means a player revolt.
I agree and those suggesting that McVay needs to start calling players out or calling it like it is, would be careful of what they wish for. If he did that, then he would lose the locker room.

by St. Loser Fan
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   10515  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:I agree and those suggesting that McVay needs to start calling players out or calling it like it is, would be careful of what they wish for. If he did that, then he would lose the locker room.

Has anyone called for a closed door players-only meeting? I mean one different call by the refs and the Rams could have won and been 6-3.

Let's stop acting like we're the Bengals or the Dolphins.

by Haden
4 years 5 months ago
RFU Survivor Champ

St. Loser Fan wrote:Has anyone called for a closed door players-only meeting? I mean one different call by the refs and the Rams could have won and been 6-3.

Let's stop acting like we're the Bengals or the Dolphins.

Right now, we might lose to the Dolphins

by moklerman
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

I still think that McVay and Goff are just going through growing pains. The league caught up to that style of offense and even guys like Cousins and Rodgers, who had much more experience to fall back on, struggled through some anemic performances figuring out new ways to be productive. Rodgers is still sporadic this year under McVay's protege'.

• 1 / 4
32 posts Apr 24 2024