28 posts
  • 2 / 3
 by ramsrams
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   1176  
Canada   Mississauga, ON
Pro Bowl

It was just like they came out of the bye, not talking defense here, and said “What, me worry?” Alfred Neuman stuff.

Kinda gettin tired of that. No TD’s, not even close lately. Bad OL play is one thing, but incompetence is another. You could have marched down that field at the end of the game throwing nothing but dinks and dunks. No worries about the OL. What was it, on the thirty with so much time on the clock?

Easy win, and the Rams blew it. Very pissed off.

by SoCalRam78
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   1086  
United States of America   SoCal
Pro Bowl

I’m going to tell you why. Rams want to run 15-20 yard dig routes with a terrible offensive line. They get nothing cheap. Dump it off for 5 yards is sometimes key.

by /zn/
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

This offense has sputtered since the bye last year every single time it has faced a top DL and/or front 7. That's Detroit, Chicago, Phil, the Patz, SF, and now Pitt.

Last year the OL was eroding and this year it was young and without established continuity.

And injured on top of it.

This is where the OL stood by the end of the game:

J.B. Long@JB_Long
Here’s how the #LARams finished Week 10 up front…

LT: Whitworth

LG: Corbett (LA debut; acquired 3 weeks ago)

C: Blythe (started at LG)

RG: Shelton (LA debut; former undrafted; claimed off waivers)

RT: Edwards (rookie 5th Rd; made 3rd career start, at RG, today)

by Zen_Ronin
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   2038  
Canada   Edmonton, AB
Pro Bowl

SoCalRam78 wrote:I’m going to tell you why. Rams want to run 15-20 yard dig routes with a terrible offensive line. They get nothing cheap. Dump it off for 5 yards is sometimes key.

The problem with this is Goff's processing speed is painfully slow for a pro QB. I love the dude, and he's got a great arm, best deep ball accuracy in the league 2nd to maybe Rodgers imo, but he NEEDS time to read the field. Too much time!

I've been saying this since his rookie year and it hasn't changed. If he doesn't have an o-line that can hold a solid pocket for 5+ seconds he's not nearly as effective, and 5 seconds is an eternity and a lot to ask.

With our current o-line that's just not going to happen, even against mediocre defenses.

by phoenixrising
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   816  
United States of America   Arroyo Grande, CA
Veteran

Zen_Ronin wrote:The problem with this is Goff's processing speed is painfully slow for a pro QB. I love the dude, and he's got a great arm, best deep ball accuracy in the league 2nd to maybe Rodgers imo, but he NEEDS time to read the field. Too much time!

I've been saying this since his rookie year and it hasn't changed. If he doesn't have an o-line that can hold a solid pocket for 5+ seconds he's not nearly as effective, and 5 seconds is an eternity and a lot to ask.

With our current o-line that's just not going to happen, even against mediocre defenses.

I agree about the processing speed, but I see it a little differently. Goff's processing speed is fine when he has decent protection, but when he's under pressure his processing speed slows down when it needs to speed up. He's been disappointing, heck at times he looks likes he's regressed back to his rookie year.

by moklerman
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

phoenixrising wrote:I agree about the processing speed, but I see it a little differently. Goff's processing speed is fine when he has decent protection, but when he's under pressure his processing speed slows down when it needs to speed up. He's been disappointing, heck at times he looks likes he's regressed back to his rookie year.
It's hard not to be worried at this point but there is still hope that he's just going through growing pains. I look at Cousins as a source of hope. He went through something similar after having a few years of success so maybe Goff can find his way through the struggles too?

He's a mess right now but it isn't impossible that it's a darkest before the dawn situation. I think they would best be served by focusing more on the short game and taking what defenses will give at this point. Now is a perfect opportunity to just start completing passes and letting the playmakers make some plays.

by dieterbrock
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Zen_Ronin wrote:The problem with this is Goff's processing speed is painfully slow for a pro QB. I love the dude, and he's got a great arm, best deep ball accuracy in the league 2nd to maybe Rodgers imo, but he NEEDS time to read the field. Too much time!

The problem though is in the route tree. If all the routes are downfield, slow developing, how can his processing speed up??
That said, and mind you I only saw portions of the game on red zone, my concern is when I saw Goff actually have a clean pocket (yes it did happen) he ended up throwing a wtf was that pass.

On a separate topic....
All I know is that regardless of how the season progresses, Robert Woods is the best and most consistent offensive player we have. He is just amazing.
Every week

by gmansrams
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   44  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Undrafted Free Agent

aeneas1 wrote:but imo it just doesn't square with the level of complete and utter offensive ineptness the rams have shown in some of their recent outings.... in their last 10 games, dating back to the super bowl, they've played 3 games (pats, niners, steelers) in which they've scored a total of just 2 field goals and 1 offensive td on a combined 38 offensive drives, how is that even possible?

hell, the hoyer-led colts hung 22 offensive points on the steelers, the fitz-led friggin' dolphins hung 14 on them - mcvay's goff-led rams? 3... again, how is this even possible?

i'm not remotely close to giving up on mcvay, goff or most of the other offensive players for that matter, but in 3 of their last 10 games the rams offense has looked beyond bad, i'd venture to say they've even looked foolish, just completely lost and overmatched, it's really been hard to watch, or understand.

I signed on to start a thread about yesterday's loss when I read this post that pretty much summed up the points I was going to make. The Rams are being beat at their own game and it is hard to understand why.

The Rams had success with the running attack yesterday but only ran the ball 23 times. Gurley did not touch the ball in quarter 4, despite averaging over 6 yards per carry. He rushed the ball 12 times for 73 yards, why did he only have 12 attempts?

The defense shut down the Steelers running attack only allowing them 1.6 yards per carry however it was the Steelers not the Rams who had a drive for 8 minutes in quarter 4?

Goff completed 22 passes on 41 attempts for 242 yards but had 2 interceptions and 3 fumbles. ( is Goff now the highest paid qb in the league?)

Mason Rudolph let me repeat this, Mason Rudolph completed 22 passes on 38 attempts with on TD, 0 interceptions, 0 fumbles.

The Oline is struggling in pass pro however they did run block well yesterday. Not uncommon for an offensive line starting one rookie and one second year player starting for the first time.

Football 101 running the football on the road is the recipe for producing a W.

The Rams offense has been unbalanced all season. Does McVay even mention this as he did last season during losses that he needs to be more patient and call more runs?

It appears both McVay and Goff are frustrated the offense cannot produce explosive plays at will or move the ball at will as they did last season and are forcing the issue. McVay refuses to turn to the running attack and win a defensive battle and Goff refuses to take what he defense is giving, never hits the hot receiver or take the underneath route and instead forces the ball downfield resulting in an interception at crucial junctures every loss. Opposing defenses know exactly where Goff is going with the ball. Does Goff even look Gurley's way on passing routes?

Last season the Rams would of run all over the Steelers in the second half, they would of been the team producing the clock eating drives etc..

Teams take different identities every season. Currently this team LACKS an identity. This team needs to rally behind the defense this season, the defense is up to the challenge. Field position, time of possession, winning the turnover battle are parts of the game this team is in need of being reminded of.

The identity offensively this season should be an offense who is nasty in the trenches with a dynamic, three headed running attack with 35 to 40 rushing attempts per game. If they decide to implement this philosophy offensively I believe they will find the explosive plays return to air attack.

So hard to understand, yes. No way Sean McVay has forgotten the importance of the running attack in this league. Teams without one lose, period. End of discussion. You cannot keep an opposing defense honest without the threat of a dynamic running attack.

Go RAMS!

by AvengerRam
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

1. Bad OL play = bad offense against quality defense.

2. Play calling doesn’t change point No. 1.

by dieterbrock
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:1. Bad OL play = bad offense against quality defense.

2. Play calling doesn’t change point No. 1.

Disagree.
When the playcalling/scheme is reliant on quality oline play there is a serious disconnect here.

• 2 / 3
28 posts Apr 19 2024