Pro Bowl

In the Dallas game, same play like Goff was incomplete

by JackPMiller
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   2729  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/1 ... aXYKoEbCQE

NFL rules analyst Gene Steratore says Jared Goff's fumble should've been incomplete
Cameron DaSilva
1 hour ago

One of the biggest plays in Sunday’s game between the Rams and Steelers came just before halftime when Jared Goff fumbled the ball and it was returned 43 yards by Minkah Fitzpatrick for a touchdown. That gave Pittsburgh a 14-7 lead with 1:44 left in the first half, taking any sort of momentum away from the Rams. The Steelers would hold on to the lead and go on to win 17-12.

The play was reviewed, as all touchdowns are, and the ruling on the field stood as called. Well, after watching the replay several times, many fans and analysts came away wondering if Goff actually fumbled it.

It could’ve very easily been called a forward pass and incomplete, but that’s not how the officials on the field saw it. Former NFL official and CBS analyst Gene Steratore disagreed with the ruling and shared his thoughts on the play on Twitter.

He believes Goff’s arm was coming forward when the ball came out, which would’ve made it incomplete.

After the game, Goff was asked whether it felt like a pass instead of a fumble.

“It did. I haven’t seen a replay though. So I don’t know,” he said. “Once I see a replay, I’ll let you know, but it felt like I threw it, but who knows. I haven’t seen it.”

This will probably do nothing to help the way fans feel about Sunday’s game, but a former official with 15 years of experience views this play differently than those who were on the field Sunday.

Had the play been called incomplete right away, it likely would’ve stood if the Steelers challenged it. However, since it was deemed a fumble, the officials decided there wasn’t enough evidence to overturn it.

by ramsfan1977
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   1319  
United States of America   New Jersey
Pro Bowl

Truth be told, there snap over the head beginning of the game and Goff's controversial fumble evens out. One bad call should not cost us a game...What are we the Saints?? LOL

by rather
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   349  
Starter

BobCarl wrote:Huh? If Goff was wearing a Tom Brady jersey the play would have been called an incomplete pass.

and it looked liked an incomplete pass to me ...

Hush, you're not allowed to suggest such completely accurate notions, why what next Mr Tinfoil Hat why don't you lecture us about chem-trails, Good Grief!

by bremillard
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   625  
Veteran

ramsfan1977 wrote:Truth be told, there snap over the head beginning of the game and Goff's controversial fumble evens out. One bad call should not cost us a game...What are we the Saints?? LOL

I agree. The call was bad but that doesn't automatically take 7 points off of the final score. There was a lot of football played after that play was reconciled. The Rams had their chances. Scoring 3 offensive points is going to win VERY FEW games.

by Hacksaw
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Goff got hit by a guy moving south. His arm was hit by the guys hand moving south.
Goff's hand started moving north and when the ball left his fingertips it flew north. How do the refs and replay miss that?

And how did they miss the PI in the endzone on Reynolds.

We weren't very good yesterday but the officials were way worse. :twisted2:

by Elvis
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   38457  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

It's like Joe Curley tweeted, they've decided to let these plays go so they can check them via review and then they don't overturn it because there wasn't enough visual evidence so they stick with the call on the field? That's messed up and pretty clearly was an incomplete pass in this case.

I'll disagree with the Joe in that the game was decided by a lot of stuff, including this terrible call...

by ramsfan1977
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   1319  
United States of America   New Jersey
Pro Bowl

Refs had no balls to call DPI against Reynolds on 4th and 10.

by Hacksaw
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

ramsfan1977 wrote:Truth be told, there snap over the head beginning of the game and Goff's controversial fumble evens out. One bad call should not cost us a game...What are we the Saints?? LOL

Not Saints but not sinners for calling out the scoring plays that should have been ruled differently.
That forward pass (ball flew forward) and missed PI in the endzone were mistakes by the refs. The snap over the Steeler QBs head was their centers mistake.
Lucky? yes. Not apples to apples though.

by Elvis
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   38457  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

ramsfan1977 wrote:Refs had no balls to call DPI against Reynolds on 4th and 10.

The could've at least shown us the courtesy of a booth review and then let the play stand.

On the flip side, Donald got away with a hands to the helmet against Rudolph...

• 2 / 4
34 posts Apr 19 2024