32 posts
  • 1 / 4
 by AvengerRam
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

It appears that Brandin Cooks may miss this week's game, and perhaps more, due to his second concussion of the year (third in the last 24 months, I believe).

Its times like this that I'm glad that Josh Reynolds is on the roster.

While Reynolds is not the player that Cooks is (just as he couldn't fully replace Cooper Kupp last year), his production when utilized in "starters minutes" is favorable.

Here are Reynolds per game averages in games in which he's received 7 or more targets:

4 receptions, 59.4 yards, 14.9 avg., .57 TDs
That equates to 64 receptions, 950 yards and 9 TDs over a full season.

By comparison, Cook's per game averages as a Ram (all games, regardless of number of targets) are 4.46 receptions, 66.9 yards, 15.0 avg., .25 TDs.

To be fair, Cooks has a much higher catch percentage (66% vs. 50%), but the bottom line is that when Reynolds has been called upon to take on a bigger role, the dropoff in production has not been too severe.

Hopefully, we'll get Cooks back soon. Until then, well... I just added Reynolds to my fantasy team!

by moklerman
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

I always forget that Cooks isn't a slot receiver. When thinking about Reynolds replacing Kupp last year, I wasn't that thrilled with him. He was okay but he really didn't have that special something that great slot receivers have. As an outside replacement, he may be much better suited. Being the third option across from Kupp and Woods should be a decent spot for Reynolds.

He may even be better suited for what the Rams are doing on offense "right now". Cooks' main role is to threaten the defense as a deep threat but Reynolds is relatively slow with a 4.52 40. But, since the Rams aren't really able to attempt too many long developing plays anyway, Reynolds' size as a weak side option may actually work out well.

by AvengerRam
4 years 5 months ago
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:I always forget that Cooks isn't a slot receiver. When thinking about Reynolds replacing Kupp last year, I wasn't that thrilled with him. He was okay but he really didn't have that special something that great slot receivers have. As an outside replacement, he may be much better suited. Being the third option across from Kupp and Woods should be a decent spot for Reynolds.

He may even be better suited for what the Rams are doing on offense "right now". Cooks' main role is to threaten the defense as a deep threat but Reynolds is relatively slow with a 4.52 40. But, since the Rams aren't really able to attempt too many long developing plays anyway, Reynolds' size as a weak side option may actually work out well.

The one advantage Reynolds clearly has over Cooks is a larger catch radius. As you noted, when plays need to develop more quickly, that can be an important quality.

I want to make it clearly that I'm a big Brandin Cooks fan. However, I'm genuinely concerned about the guy. If sitting is what is best for him from a health standpoint, I want him to sit - even if that weakens the Rams' attack or results in unproductive cap expenditures.

My hope is that with Reynolds acting as a capable understudy, Cooks will take the time he needs and then return to us.

by 69RamFan
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   3176  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

My only dislike with Reynolds,

For some reason, this kid needs to learn how to use his head and body...

Many of times he turns his head to get view of the throw, but doesn't know how to flip and turn his head and body the other way if the ball is throw to the other side...

So he does this 360 turn to try and make the catch.... and if the throw is further away, then he is not in position at all to make the catch....

From what I've watch of him,,,, he likes to turn and view from his right side most of the time...

by actionjack
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   3963  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

moklerman wrote:I always forget that Cooks isn't a slot receiver. When thinking about Reynolds replacing Kupp last year, I wasn't that thrilled with him. He was okay but he really didn't have that special something that great slot receivers have. As an outside replacement, he may be much better suited. Being the third option across from Kupp and Woods should be a decent spot for Reynolds.

Imo Woods would have to be used more of as the deep threat, to make up for the loss of Cooks. Wood does have the very good speed. Reynolds is a much bigger target, easier to get the ball to than Cooks. I like what he does down the field and in the redzone.

by moklerman
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

actionjack wrote:Imo Woods would have to be used more of as the deep threat, to make up for the loss of Cooks. Wood does have the very good speed. Reynolds is a much bigger target, easier to get the ball to than Cooks. I like what he does down the field and in the redzone.
Woods definitely has more speed but I don't know if the Rams can even bother to threaten with deep routes right now. The pass pro hasn't been able to hold up long enough for there to be a deep threat so I think they'll just forego long developing routes and work within defenses playing with their safeties "up".

McVay is going to have to flex his creative muscles and focus more on mismatches IMO. Everett and the RB's getting favorable matchups would be nice to exploit and I think teams are going to focus on Woods and Kupp so Reynolds should get some opportunities.

My impression of him is that his hands are inconsistent though and I'm not sure if his early start jitters are sticking out in my mind or if he actually does have iffy hands. I hope it doesn't become an issue.

by dieterbrock
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Would love to eat my words on this, but Reynolds is completely unimpressive and not sure why he gets held in high regard. He's had a couple brain farts, drops and overall seems not aware of his position on the field.
His catch rate is deplorable, in his career he's only caught 53 passes in 113 targets (reg season and playoffs) for a 46.9% catch rate.
Cant even put this one on Fisher since he's been around since McVay came aboard.
Again, would love to eat my words on this, but am not afraid I will have to do so.

by aeneas1
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:Would love to eat my words on this, but Reynolds is completely unimpressive and not sure why he gets held in high regard. He's had a couple brain farts, drops and overall seems not aware of his position on the field.
His catch rate is deplorable, in his career he's only caught 53 passes in 113 targets (reg season and playoffs) for a 46.9% catch rate.
Cant even put this one on Fisher since he's been around since McVay came aboard.
Again, would love to eat my words on this, but am not afraid I will have to do so.

yeah, still waiting for reynolds to erase his super bowl effort, yikes, he got his ass absolutely drilled twice on the opening drive, which seemed to set the tone for the rest of the game... this year he only has 5 catches on 18 targets for a very bleak 28% catch rate, and he's 0 of 4 targets in the redzone, the only rams receiver targeted in the rz this year who doesn't have a catch... the steelers game would be a nice time to see him start to break out.

by actionjack
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   3963  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

Well the kid did have a nice touchdown last week :D , and IMO stepped it pretty well when Kupp went down. Certainly didnt replace him, but made some nice contested catches. Again I like his size, Goff doesnt have to be so pinpoint with him.

by AvengerRam
4 years 5 months ago
Hall of Fame

I would also note that, if Cooks does miss time, Gerald Everett could also pick up some of the slack. He's shown signs of becoming a more consistent weapon, and definitely creates mismatches.

All hands on deck!

• 1 / 4
32 posts Apr 25 2024