15 posts
  • 2 / 2
 by AvengerRam
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:the last 3 super bowls the pats won they ranked 17th, 24th and 30th in rush yards per attempt, don't remember too many lamenting the shortcomings of their oline during those years?

You’re just cherry-picking one of several points I made.

Let’s make this simple...play calling aside, do you think our OL is adequate or not?

I find it difficult to believe that anyone thinks it is right now.

by aeneas1
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:You’re just cherry-picking one of several points I made.

i (and dieter) responded to your first point, yards per carry, and then i moved on, didn't realize i (we?) were "cherry-picking"? but we could talk about your other points as well.

for example yards per play, which of course is the product of combined pass and run yards, consequently pass/run ratio comes into play... the pats have run the ball 30% more than the rams this season, they haven't needed to pass as much, which has driven down their ypp - if the pats had the same pass/run ratio as the rams through week 6, at their current ypc and ypa averages, they would rank 4th in yards per play.

re brady, the guy's a master, at everything, reading defenses pre and post snap, going through his progressions, i think that's pretty cear, but brady also gets x & o help in the form of rb targets, i.e. high percentage targets, safety/outlet targets... 1 in 3 of his passes have been thrown to a rb this season, his second most targeted guy is a rb (white) - goff? 1 in 10 of his passes have been thrown to a rb, he gets virtually no help underneath.

speaking x's and o's, and speaking of the points you made, i noticed that you didn't seem to include belichick, mcdaniels or scarnecchia?

AvengerRam wrote:Let’s make this simple...play calling aside, do you think our OL is adequate or not?

adequate for what?

adequate enough to keep a defense from holding the offense to 14 net passing yards through 3 quarters of play, at home no less? to keep a defense from holding the offense to 48 net passing yards on the day, to 99 total yards after an opening drive, from negative yards on 5 of 11 drives?

yeah, i think it's adequate enough for that.

as i've mentioned before, blythe and havenstein are playing well below last year's level, and so is whitworth - why? i also mentioned that i didn't think the oline, talent wise, was any great shakes in 2017 and 2018, yet they played well together - why?

me? i think the play-calling has been a much bigger issue than the oline personnel this year, just like i think the play-calling helped the oline personnel tremendously in 2017 and 2018.

by aeneas1
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

speaking of the pats, here's a look at how many of their offensive players from last year's super bowl team played for them in 2014 when they also won the super bowl - i mean what the fuck? we lose a stiff center and a guard who, before mcvay came to town, no one noticed unless he was hurt yet again, and in one season our offensive ship is sinking? again, wtf?

01.png

by AvengerRam
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

I, unlike you, believe that it’s MORE of a case of poor OL play hindering the play calling, as opposed to vice versa.

Nothing about the Patriots’ success (which may be in spite of, rather than because of, their OL) convinces me otherwise.

So I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Functionally...it really does not matter. I’m hoping the play calling will improve, and I’m sure you would like to see better personnel (or, for now, better performances by the guys we have) on the OL.

by Hacksaw
4 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

/zn/ wrote:Maybe McVay and Goff should learn that trick--the quick passing game--but as for the Patz, it's not all just Dante Scarenecchia. A lot of that is Brady....

Agreed. Comparing O-lines when Brady is behind one of them would make for a false conclusion. The AFCE doesn't hurt their annual chances/results either.
Now can Goff get it out that quickly?

• 2 / 2
15 posts Apr 15 2024