by snackdaddy
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:McVay? Yes.
Goff? Yes.
Gurley? That's the topic.

Personally, I think we're stuck with Gurley. All we can do is try and make the best of it. Use him when we can. We're going to be overpaying a guy who is no longer reliable as far as health. So how do we overcome that? I have no answers. Apparently, McVay doesn't either.

by ramsman34
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   8521  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

With all due respect, you “offer a hypothetical that will never really happen”. And you want the rams to spend recourses on building the line in the future. People are pointing out that they agree that this will never happen based on TG’s perceived health and his contract. The latter speaks to limiting the recourses you want to allot toward fixing the line.

I would make that deal in a second as it addresses o line quality AND frees up recourses to do more, is and in the future. I also concur that right now, the combo of Brown and Henderson would be good enough, but not elite like Gurley (was). Elite Gurley was instrumental in the play action game being so lethal. If the line was fixed, would Gurley or the Brown/Henderson be better at restoring the power of play action? Without play action, McVay has a much weaker offense. Goff has not really shown he can dominate without play action - yet maybe that inconsistency again falls on the shitty pass protection.

by AvengerRam
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

ramsman34 wrote:With all due respect, you “offer a hypothetical that will never really happen”. And you want the rams to spend recourses on building the line in the future. People are pointing out that they agree that this will never happen based on TG’s perceived health and his contract. The latter speaks to limiting the recourses you want to allot toward fixing the line.

Not at all. We'll have draft choices next year and going forward. We'll have cap room next year (Whitworth, Talib, Brockers and possibly Fowler come off the books). The point is, we need to refocus these resources on the trenches, primarily the OL.

If the line was fixed, would Gurley or the Brown/Henderson be better at restoring the power of play action?

If Gurley is healthy, Gurley would, but at a much higher price point. As some have noted (including me, if you read my first post), we're pretty much stuck with Gurley, so hopefully he'll get right. I do believe, however, that we could be effective with guys like Brown/Henderson with a better OL.

by dieterbrock
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Since we all agree that Gurley is untradeable, why not suggest what Washington could be interested in? Its crazy that he is still out there

by AvengerRam
4 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

I have no idea what Washington would take, but I would certainly offer them a package in the neighborhood of a 3rd and a 5th round pick.

by ramsman34
4 years 6 months ago

AvengerRam wrote:Not at all. We'll have draft choices next year and going forward. We'll have cap room next year (Whitworth, Talib, Brockers and possibly Fowler come off the books). The point is, we need to refocus these resources on the trenches, primarily the OL.

True, but that doesn’t help this season. Whereas acquitting Williams would. And, without TGs contract, we would have $ for veteran help, not rookies.

If Gurley is healthy, Gurley would, but at a much higher price point. As some have noted (including me, if you read my first post), we're pretty much stuck with Gurley, so hopefully he'll get right. I do believe, however, that we could be effective with guys like Brown/Henderson with a better OL.

I agree, so what is the point of your hypothetical if it has no realistic chance of happening? We have the same draft capital, regardless.

by AvengerRam
4 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

ramsman34 wrote:I agree, so what is the point of your hypothetical if it has no realistic chance of happening? We have the same draft capital, regardless.

It wasn't a hypothetical. I was emphasizing the need to reallocate resources by acknowledging an error of the past that I hope we don't make in the future.

by ramsman34
4 years 6 months ago

AvengerRam wrote:It wasn't a hypothetical. I was emphasizing the need to reallocate resources by acknowledging an error of the past that I hope we don't make in the future.

Ah.

Well, I would do that trade in a second. For obvious reasons.

My other response ended up inside your quote. Oops. Lol

• 2 / 3
25 posts Apr 17 2024