17 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by aeneas1
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

the defense came to play, held the niners to just 20 points (below the league average), to just 4.4 yards per play (well below the league average), despite defending a short field on over half of their drives (niners 40 or closer), despite being out there all day because the offense couldn't get a single thing going... the defense did more than enough, did their job in spades, the offense just failed miserably, epically, it was the super bowl all over again.

by Hacksaw
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Eye test compared to SF's D, they weren't that great.

by ramsman34
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   8523  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

Hacksaw wrote:Eye test compared to SF's D, they weren't that great.

Agreed. It when it mattered most. But, I also see A1’s stat supported take. The D wasnt the issue. But they could have played better in some key situations. That’s pretty normal.

The o line is just fuckin dreadful. There is not denying it nor fixing it, so it seems.

by aeneas1
4 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:Eye test compared to SF's D, they weren't that great.

the rams d wasn't as good as the league's 3rd ranked defense in offensive points allowed? i think that's pretty clear, it was the case headed into this game and it remains the case... but when your defense can hold he bad guys to below the league average in points, especially when it's been on the field all day defending short fields because of a completely inept offense, they've done their job, and then some, imo.

by ramsman34
4 years 6 months ago

aeneas1 wrote:the rams d wasn't as good as the league's 3rd ranked defense in offensive points allowed? i think that's pretty clear, it was the case headed into this game and it remains the case... but when your defense can hold he bad guys to below the league average in points, especially when it's been on the field all day defending short fields because of a completely inept offense, they've done their job, and then some, imo.

I don’t think anyone is blaming the D for the loss. But, in a loss, everything gets scrutinized. The D is decent to pretty good. To save this season with this o line/play calling, they have to be out of their minds great. Don’t see that happening.

by CanuckRightWinger
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

Some question from me for Wade Phillips:
You knew Shanny today (like every NFL OC) was going to double&triple team Aaron Donald....
knowing that, how come you cannot devise plans to get consistent pressure on the opposing QB, huh?? I mean, the 49ers OL were missing BOTH starting OTs for Krypes sakes!!! :oops2:

You knew George Kittle was SF's major pass receiving threat.
Whatever KillKittle plan you had, didn't fooking work!!! :? HOW COME???
KITTLE #'s TODAY: 8 Targets//8 Catches//103 Yards//12.9 YPC//long of 45 yds :roll2:

About that "Only 20 points allowed" deal:
Lest we forget, SF RB Coleman missed sure TD at one yard line....wide open. :idea2: :arrow2: :!2:
Also, Marcus Peters pick, again with SF knocking at the door saved another 7 points...….so holding them to 20 points was great, but the reality is the Niners left 14 points on the field (even 6 if they had gone for two FGs)…...AND THE 49ER TIME OF POSSESSION ADVANTAGE WAS CLOSE TO 39 TO 21 MINUTES, BECAUSE THE 49ER DEPLETED OL CONTROLLED THE LOS.

A hard-hitting physical game to be sure :idea2: .....
but who controlled both sides of the LOS....and the clock???? :?2:
Answer: Not us!! :cry2:

by Hacksaw
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

The defense started out well, as the game wore on, not so much. SF adjusted. But they are not why we lost.
The beef up front wasn't beefy enough. How do you fix that line?
I don't see it happening either.

by aeneas1
4 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

ramsman34 wrote:I don’t think anyone is blaming the D for the loss. But, in a loss, everything gets scrutinized. The D is decent to pretty good. To save this season with this o line/play calling, they have to be out of their minds great. Don’t see that happening.

i'm not at all impressed with the rams defense, have been critical of it dating back to the start of last season, their herculean effort during the postseason gave me some hope heading into this season, but it's been a big disappointment so far, altho i believe in giving credit where credit is due, they did their job today, i'll take allowing 20 offensive points per game, every day of the week and twice on sundays, especially against a team that's been putting up a lot of points, if they could swing that over the course of a season they would be a top 8 defense in offensive points allowed.

by ramsman34
4 years 6 months ago

aeneas1 wrote:i'm not at all impressed with the rams defense, have been critical of it dating back to the start of last season, their herculean effort during the postseason gave me some hope heading into this season, but it's been a big disappointment so far, altho i believe in giving credit where credit is due, they did their job today, i'll take allowing 20 offensive points per game, every day of the week and twice on sundays, especially against a team that's been putting up a lot of points, if they could swing that over the course of a season they would be a top 8 defense in offensive points allowed.

And I don’t disagree. However, it’s the concert, the harmony of all three phases that gets a team deep into the post season. That was our last 2 seasons. One unit can carry a heavier load - from time to time.

Right now, the o line and the offensive play calling/scheme - which work hand in hand - are flat killing this team. Maybe we DO need an OC after all and let McVay be the master motivator and the checks and balances for this team.

I don’t like the 3-4 scheme. Never Really have. I don’t like soft deep zones either - not without serious and consistent 4-5 man pressure. And we don’t have that consistently.

by SoCalRam78
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   1086  
United States of America   SoCal
Pro Bowl

Last 1.5 quarters niners essentially ran up the gut knowing Jared Goff and co couldn’t move the ball on them. I’m pretty confident if the game was close they’d have moved the ball at will on us. They had 200 yards at half time.

• 1 / 2
17 posts Apr 19 2024