8 posts
  • 1 / 1
 by aeneas1
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

here's a look at how the 2019 rams run game compares to their 2018 run game in terms of directional yards per carry rankings - for example the 2018 rams ranked 3rd in overall ypc, 2nd in ypc towards the left tackle (lt), and 5th in ypc towards the middle (m), etc. whereas the 2019 rams rank 16th, 17th and 19th respectively.

the "summary" columns summarize these directions, ls = left side and includes lt and le, m = middle and includes lg, m, and rg, etc.... the columns to the far right show frequency per direction in terms of percentage, i.e. the 2018 rams ran towards the left (le) 9.8% of the time while the 2019 rams have done so 14.8% of the time through week 5:

01.png

all teams, 2019, through week 5:

02.png

all teams, 2018:

03.png

by Neil039
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   2664  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

They defiant run up the middle with Allen at Center. If anything comes out of this season it’s the need for better interior O-line.

by /zn/
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Football Outsiders ranks the 2019 Rams as being 7th in the league on yards up the middle, and as running to the middle 41% of the time.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol/2019

by ramsman34
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   8528  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

/zn/ wrote:Football Outsiders ranks the 2019 Rams as being 7th in the league on yards up the middle, and as running to the middle 41% of the time.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol/2019

My eyes see that as well - inside zone working more effectively than outside stretch. The key is motion and shifts to create leverage for the o line right at the snap, I believe. Henderson should have opportunities to shine there.

I wonder if McVay can/is designing plays that “look” the same but are different in actuality for TH and for DH. Inside and outside zone looking really similar If not identical. at the snap. That would be effin brilliant if so. It might not be so easy, however.

by Kid Charlamagne
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   533  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Veteran

So, what if we get a healthy dose of Brown and or Henderson and the run game flourishes. What does that mean about TG if anything? Clearly this offense works better centered around the run but defenses seem to have figured that out too.

by snackdaddy
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

With Gurley out do we see the same 6 man fronts? Are teams using that for Gurley or for McVay's bread and butter play action? Brown is the right guy if they want to start running up the middle. I can see him getting 20 carries for close to 100 yards. Unless the defense is off again and they fall behind early. If that happens, expect another 50 passes.

by LARams_1963
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   1191  
United States of America   North Port, FL
Pro Bowl

I think as long as we aren't playing catch up we will find out if the run game issue is TG or not. If it's the same ratio run/pass as we've seen all season then TG is not the issue. If we see more balance or significantly more running I think it's very telling.

by ramsman34
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   8528  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

LARams_1963 wrote:I think as long as we aren't playing catch up we will find out if the run game issue is TG or not. If it's the same ratio run/pass as we've seen all season then TG is not the issue. If we see more balance or significantly more running I think it's very telling.

Clairvoyant much. lol. Nailed it

• 1 / 1
8 posts Apr 19 2024