28 posts
  • 1 / 3
 by AvengerRam
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

I'll admit it...

Part of me wouldn't mind seeing Todd Gurley sit and, in his place, Darrell Henderson come in and have a big day running the ball.

Why do I feel that way? After all, I'm a big Todd Gurley fan.

Have I finally been beaten down by all those who are convinced that Gurley's physical condition is chronic and irreparable? Maybe a little... but I don't think that's it entirely.

Am I just showing my team loyalty above loyalty to a single player? Maybe. Is that a bad thing?

Is it just impatience? Probably to a degree.

Still, what if a younger guy who may, at this point, be quicker and more explosive than Gurley... no... I don't believe that...

Or do I?

by aeneas1
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

thing is, has brown done anything? did cj do anything after the cowboys game? both guys did very well pre 2017 saints game, then not so much, is it just a bizarre coincidence that no rams running back has been consistently effective since the rams started facing these 6-1 fronts, these double a-gap blitzes? is there any reason to think henderson would fare any better?

gurley has looked fine to me, looked fine blasting through the line for the two strong td runs against the hags, looked fine doing his post td goal post layup, but what hasn't looked fine is rams running backs with nowhere to run far too often, because mcvay is still stumped by crowded fronts.

but at the end of the day we're all fan-atics, and if henderson plays a lot for a quad-challenged gurley this weekend and lights it up, most will be asking gurley who? of course this will last until the first bad game henderson has, then it will be we want gurley, we want gurley!

in other news, through week 5 the rams rank 6th in most runs for a loss and 17th in most runs of 10+ yards (as a % of total attempts).

by Haden
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   2134  
United States of America   Spokane, WA
RFU Survivor Champ

I'm starting to guess that his bad quad=bad knee. I don't blame you for being antsy about him. Something is not quite right. As attorneys would say, "It doesn't pass the smell test."

by AvengerRam
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

Haden wrote:I'm starting to guess that his bad quad=bad knee. I don't blame you for being antsy about him. Something is not quite right. As attorneys would say, "It doesn't pass the smell test."

I guess my prevailing feeling is that I just don't want to worry about the RB position any more. If Henderson suddenly became the second coming of Alvin Kamara (I think he's more similar to Maurice Jones-Drew, but Kamara was the analogue mentioned when he was drafted), while Gurley continues to show up on injury reports, I guess part of me would be relieved that we wouldn't have to worry about it any more.

Call it Gurleythritis Fatigue Syndrome.

by rams74
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   1469  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

AvengerRam wrote:I guess my prevailing feeling is that I just don't want to worry about the RB position any more. If Henderson suddenly became the second coming of Alvin Kamara (I think he's more similar to Maurice Jones-Drew, but Kamara was the analogue mentioned when he was drafted), while Gurley continues to show up on injury reports, I guess part of me would be relieved that we wouldn't have to worry about it any more.

Call it Gurleythritis Fatigue Syndrome.

"Dreams are nothing more than wishes, and a wish is just a dream you wish to come true."
-- Harry Nilsson

by Haden
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   2134  
United States of America   Spokane, WA
RFU Survivor Champ

aeneas1 wrote:why?

I don't think the Rams are being candid about his knee. Of course, this is just my speculation but after claiming he was good to go and then seeing the NO/SB performances last playoffs, I started getting the feeling that the Rams were hiding things. Thus, when I hear claims that his leg is hurt, I am already thinking it is really the knee.

by aeneas1
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

Haden wrote:I don't think the Rams are being candid about his knee. Of course, this is just my speculation but after claiming he was good to go and then seeing the NO/SB performances last playoffs, I started getting the feeling that the Rams were hiding things. Thus, when I hear claims that his leg is hurt, I am already thinking it is really the knee.

so to be clear, you think the rams front office, coaches, gurley, gurley's trainer, and gurley's teammates have intentionally lied about gurley? both to the media and the league (injury reports)?

if not, what would being candid look like?

by ramsman34
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   8522  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

aeneas1 wrote:thing is, has brown done anything? did cj do anything after the cowboys game? both guys did very well pre 2017 saints game, then not so much, is it just a bizarre coincidence that no rams running back has been consistently effective since the rams started facing these 6-1 fronts, these double a-gap blitzes? is there any reason to think henderson would fare any better?

gurley has looked fine to me, looked fine blasting through the line for the two strong td runs against the hags, looked fine doing his post td goal post layup, but what hasn't looked fine is rams running backs with nowhere to run far too often, because mcvay is still stumped by crowded fronts.

but at the end of the day we're all fan-atics, and if henderson plays a lot for a quad-challenged gurley this weekend and lights it up, most will be asking gurley who? of course this will last until the first bad game henderson has, then it will be we want gurley, we want gurley!

in other news, through week 5 the rams rank 6th in most runs for a loss and 17th in most runs of 10+ yards (as a % of total attempts).

It sure has been feast or famine for our running “attack”. I think it’s a combo of the o line, play calling, and what options Goff has to get out of a bad play at the LOS. Defenses are holding their hand pre-snap a lot more and shifting near the end of the play clock. It seems to be problematic for McVay and Goff. Post snap adaptations have been suspect in the run game and even a bit in the pass game. The o line has been inconsistent if not a down right weak link in most all areas.

More quick passes and use of TEs might help the run game and then the play action game. But I don’t really know what the answer is.

• 1 / 3
28 posts Apr 18 2024