21 posts
  • 2 / 3
 by snackdaddy
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

As well as Wilson played, and he played one of the best games I've seen a quarterback play this year, the Rams were a chip shot field goal away from winning. I think had GZ made that field goal the narrative would quite different. I know we could look at the moral victory when it looked like all was lost and they almost pulled it out. But It seems like we're not making the plays we need to win games like we were last year. From defense to offense to special teams. Across the board we fell short the last two games.

by actionjack
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   3945  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

Will0120 wrote:
Most topics and issues have been discussed on the board regarding the TNF game and frankly beat to death. However, one thing that I have not seen anyone mention is Russell Freaking Wilson.

I don't know how it looked on TV but Russell Wilson was freaking unstoppable that game. Any normal QB would have been sacked 5+ times in that game but Russell was in a zone.

Yes, I know people are griping about our defense's supposed soft zone coverage, but let me assure you, there is NO COVERAGE in the world that will cover the improvisation that Russell Wilson did on TNF. The defense typically had the first couple looks covered well, they were only starting to breakdown once RW started running around like a mad man.

I can't believe that we missed the kick but I came out of the game feeling better about our team.

p.s.: You guys have no idea how incredulous the Seahag fans were at how we were able to move the ball so easily on them. You think we are not happy with McVay/Wade? You thought we made poor coaching decisions? You should listen to the comments from their fans I heard at the game. They know full damn well that they got away with one. They won't get away with one next time, count on it.

Great post, I also came away feeling much better about our team, particularly on offense. it nice to know live that the Rams jsut ran into a buzzsaw with Wilson's play. My only question is in the past (even dating back to Fisher days), the Rams have always done a good job bottling Wilson. He would make one or two big plays with his arm, but generally we had success getting tons of sacks. I am wondering did the Rams just do a poor job of closing in on him, maybe being to aggressive or was Wilson just out of is mind. Probably a little bit of both.

No we jsut have to go beat an over confident niners team, this is the game we must have.

by actionjack
4 years 6 months ago
Superstar

Will0120 wrote:I don't think I am really saying that we have to "pretend" that our defense played that badly. I am more saying that I "understand" the challenges that our defense faced when Wilson was straight up in superman/beast mode. My observation of our defense also was just for the TNF game and bears no correlation to the previous games.

The one TD that really irked me was obviously the play action TD pass to Metcalf. From what I can see in real time, I would guess J. Johnson is the culprit in which he jumped the medium route rather than playing the deep zone but we obviously won't know for sure without knowing the actual play call. If Peters was supposed to be one on one with Metcalf with no help, then he f'd up majorly.

All in all, I think it's fair to say that we have all seen QB's that are just in the zone on a given day and there is absolutely nothing you can do right to stop them. This was one of those from what I can tell. I think our defense played OK overall (I'd give it a 6.75~7 out of 10 if we must put it on a scale).

Weddle fell on the sword for the play you reference, he said so in interviews.

If we however continue make every QB we face look like they are in beast mode, then we definitely have a f*ing issue on our hand.

p.s.: I can't see what video you've linked since I am on the dreaded company network...

by aeneas1
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:As well as Wilson played, and he played one of the best games I've seen a quarterback play this year, the Rams were a chip shot field goal away from winning.

not only a chip shot away from winning, but had gurley not fumbled the ball away at seattle's 17 the rams could have realistically hung 40 on the hags.

by actionjack
4 years 6 months ago
Superstar

snackdaddy wrote:As well as Wilson played, and he played one of the best games I've seen a quarterback play this year, the Rams were a chip shot field goal away from winning. I think had GZ made that field goal the narrative would quite different. I know we could look at the moral victory when it looked like all was lost and they almost pulled it out. But It seems like we're not making the plays we need to win games like we were last year. From defense to offense to special teams. Across the board we fell short the last two games.

Speaking of special teams, they havent been special. Natson has been meh in the return game.

by AltiTude Ram
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   2178  
United States of America   Denver
Pro Bowl

This was a good listen as well. J. B. Long said the Rams would've had 10 sacks if it was anybody else playing QB.

Coach McVay show

http://m.espn.com/general/play?id=27796248

by aeneas1
4 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

AltiTude Ram wrote:J. B. Long said the Rams would've had 10 sacks if it was anybody else playing QB.

the bengals, steelers and cards each sacked him 4 times this season, the rams? once, but almost 10 times!

by AltiTude Ram
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   2178  
United States of America   Denver
Pro Bowl

aeneas1 wrote:the bengals, steelers and cards each sacked him 4 times this season, the rams? once, but almost 10 times!

Don't shoot the messenger!

Oh and Btw it was DeMarco Farr that said it not J. B. Long. McVay did kind of agree with him in that Wilson had a great game.

by aeneas1
4 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

AltiTude Ram wrote:Don't shoot the messenger!

Oh and Btw it was DeMarco Farr that said it not J. B. Long. McVay did kind of agree with him in that Wilson had a great game.

ha ha, when i hit submit it ocurred to me that it might come across that way, shooting the messenger, which wasn't my intention!!

Dick84 wrote:Sorry, Aeneas, I disagree with you on the *Russell Wilson* issue. He went nuclear. It happens.

Now.. I saw the Bucs beat the Rams up and down the field consistently without the Rams making adjustments. *That* has me worried for this weekend, because Shanahan will exploit that kind of thing. Arians found his vulnerable spots and Shanny will too. Seahawks didn't scheme the Rams into a loss.. Russell saved them.

seems that rw has a knack for going nuclear on the rams lately, here's what he's done the last 3 times the teams have met, it's a testament to the rams offense that wilson and the seahawks managed just a 1-2 record in the 3 games:

03.png

anyway, i guess i would be more open to a fluke, or a what can you do it happens when you face one of the best, if the rams defense looked formidable more often than not, if it didn't look so pedestrian at best so often, especially against the pass.. honestly, if it weren't for the tremendous effort wade and the guys turned in during last year's postseason i would be writing wade off completely right now, but that stretch gave me hope.

as it stands, every defense wilson has faced this season has done better against him than the rams, they've held him to fewer points and to lower qb ratings, some seemingly want to look at the rams/hags game as an aberration, because wilson was in a zone, but to me the game looked much more like the norm when looking at the the last 3 meetings.

whatever the case, i would love to see wade and the defense return to postseason form, and start by shutting down garoppolo who i think is very overrated... moreover, i'm hoping the rams surprising decent run defense will show up as well, because it will be put to the test.

by Hacksaw
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

CanuckRightWinger wrote:Like I've been posting for a while now, my feeling is that Wade LowEnergy Phillips NO LONGER possesses those legendary Defensive GamePlans and adjustment skills, like he did in Denver and before. I mean, the guy is 72. :?

ME: Time to pass the torch Wade! Your PPG allowed numbers are now worse than Jeff APariahNow! Fisher's were as Rams HC and de facto DC. :oops2: True story....look it up! :idea2:

Or Phillip's had a better skill set in Den.

• 2 / 3
21 posts Apr 18 2024