21 posts
  • 1 / 3
 by Will0120
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   1172  
Canada   Vancouver, Canada
Commissioner

Most topics and issues have been discussed on the board regarding the TNF game and frankly beat to death. However, one thing that I have not seen anyone mention is Russell Freaking Wilson.

I don't know how it looked on TV but Russell Wilson was freaking unstoppable that game. Any normal QB would have been sacked 5+ times in that game but Russell was in a zone.

Yes, I know people are griping about our defense's supposed soft zone coverage, but let me assure you, there is NO COVERAGE in the world that will cover the improvisation that Russell Wilson did on TNF. The defense typically had the first couple looks covered well, they were only starting to breakdown once RW started running around like a mad man.

I can't believe that we missed the kick but I came out of the game feeling better about our team.

p.s.: You guys have no idea how incredulous the Seahag fans were at how we were able to move the ball so easily on them. You think we are not happy with McVay/Wade? You thought we made poor coaching decisions? You should listen to the comments from their fans I heard at the game. They know full damn well that they got away with one. They won't get away with one next time, count on it.

by Elvis
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   38452  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Don't know if anyone caught coach Barry on Jim Hill this weekend but he also talked about all the sack opportunities they had...

by Hacksaw
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Thanks for sharing @Will0120 .
RW was as much a freak on TV from where I was watching. So frustrating to watch our D blow up play after play only to have Mr Wilson go Tarkenton on us.

And Jimmy G isnt RW.

by AvengerRam
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

With most QBs, pass rushers try to get close to the QB, then lunge to make the hit. With Wilson, you can't do that... he'll duck, dodge and escape if you do. You have to stay on your feet and run through him... but if you do, he has that much more time to find a guy.

We've had success against him at times in the past, but last Sunday he played lights out.

And we still should have won! :x

by aeneas1
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

so great that you were there, just wish the rams could have rewarded your effort with a win!

re wilson, the guy is a stud, no ifs ands or buts, and he's been underrated for far too long, but i'm just not buying into the narrative that it's understandable that the rams defense coughed up 30 offensive points because, after all, it was wilson and he was in a zone (btw i'm not singling you out, this take has been floated in other posts as well).

the rams defense got their asses handed to them the week before as winston, winston, threw for 4 tds and a 120.5 qb rating, and wilson did the same... moreover all of wilson's previous opponents this year managed to hold him and the seakhawks to less than 30, and they also managed to hold wilson to fewer pass tds and lower qb ratings, but we're supposed to pretend that the rams defense actually didn't play that badly vs wilson & company?

the seahawks had 10 drives and only punted 3 times, if not for a fumble they spotted the rams and a missed field goal they would have scored even more - the bucs had 11 drives and only punted twice... all told, we're looking at just 5 forced punts in 21 drives as the bad guys hung a whopping 78 offensive points on the rams defense.

had the defense held these guys to less than 30 (apparently a herculean task), the rams would sitting at 5-0 instead of 3-2... wade and his charges have to do a lot better going forward.

by CanuckRightWinger
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

Like I've been posting for a while now, my feeling is that Wade LowEnergy Phillips NO LONGER possesses those legendary Defensive GamePlans and adjustment skills, like he did in Denver and before. I mean, the guy is 72. :?

ME: Time to pass the torch Wade! Your PPG allowed numbers are now worse than Jeff APariahNow! Fisher's were as Rams HC and de facto DC. :oops2: True story....look it up! :idea2:

by Will0120
4 years 6 months ago
Commissioner

aeneas1 wrote:so great that you were there, just wish the rams could have rewarded your effort with a win!

re wilson, the guy is a stud, no ifs ands or buts, and he's been underrated for far too long, but i'm just not buying into the narrative that it's understandable that the rams defense coughed up 30 offensive points because, after all, it was wilson and he was in a zone (btw i'm not singling you out, this take has been floated in other posts as well).

the rams defense got their asses handed to them the week before as winston, winston, threw for 4 tds and a 120.5 qb rating, and wilson did the same... moreover all of wilson's previous opponents this year managed to hold him and the seakhawks to less than 30, and they also managed to hold wilson to fewer pass tds and lower qb ratings, but we're supposed to pretend that the rams defense actually didn't play that badly vs wilson & company?

the seahawks had 10 drives and only punted 3 times, if not for a fumble they spotted the rams and a missed field goal they would have scored even more - the bucs had 11 drives and only punted twice... all told, we're looking at just 5 forced punts in 21 drives as the bad guys hung a whopping 78 offensive points on the rams defense.

had the defense held these guys to less than 30 (apparently a herculean task), the rams would sitting at 5-0 instead of 3-2... wade and his charges have to do a lot better going forward.

I don't think I am really saying that we have to "pretend" that our defense played that badly. I am more saying that I "understand" the challenges that our defense faced when Wilson was straight up in superman/beast mode. My observation of our defense also was just for the TNF game and bears no correlation to the previous games.

The one TD that really irked me was obviously the play action TD pass to Metcalf. From what I can see in real time, I would guess J. Johnson is the culprit in which he jumped the medium route rather than playing the deep zone but we obviously won't know for sure without knowing the actual play call. If Peters was supposed to be one on one with Metcalf with no help, then he f'd up majorly.

All in all, I think it's fair to say that we have all seen QB's that are just in the zone on a given day and there is absolutely nothing you can do right to stop them. This was one of those from what I can tell. I think our defense played OK overall (I'd give it a 6.75~7 out of 10 if we must put it on a scale).

If we however continue make every QB we face look like they are in beast mode, then we definitely have a f*ing issue on our hand.

p.s.: I can't see what video you've linked since I am on the dreaded company network...

by Will0120
4 years 6 months ago
Commissioner

Btw @aeneas1, RW is on quite a tear this year so far...

On pace for:

- Just over 4500 yards
- Nearly 40 TD's
- 0 INT's so far
- 126.3 QBR

I'd say he's worth every penny that the Seahags are paying them for so far...

by dieterbrock
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

That TD pass he threw to Lockett was just out of this word. (and the catch was amazing too)
Goff throws a similarly amazing pass to Woods that <justmisses>
Them the brakes
Wilson is an amazing player and I feel under rated. O-line is average and WR core is typically mediocre at best

by aeneas1
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

Will0120 wrote:[color=#000080]I don't think I am really saying that we have to "pretend" that our defense played that badly. I am more saying that I "understand" the challenges that our defense faced when Wilson was straight up in superman/beast mode.

and i get that, and i'm not shooting down your great post, but 4 other teams have faced wilson this year, faced the same challenge, and they all did better than the rams, in fact had the rams held wilson and the seahawks to what everyone else did the rams would have won.

dieterbrock wrote:That TD pass he threw to Lockett was just out of this word. (and the catch was amazing too)
Goff throws a similarly amazing pass to Woods that <justmisses>
Them the brakes
Wilson is an amazing player and I feel under rated. O-line is average and WR core is typically mediocre at best

yeah, that pass/catch was a thing of beauty, but it was set up by the previous play shown in the vid i posted, when the rams let dissly run completely free downfield, wilson could have hit him at any time he wanted, but waited until disly had gone 40 yards, good grief.

• 1 / 3
21 posts Apr 18 2024