428 posts
  • 31 / 43
 by moklerman
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:Sorry, but I’m not letting him off the hook that easy.
As is often the case with Goff, it's the inconsistency. Looked really good at times but ultimately cost the Rams 10 points with the pick-6 and the intentional grounding.

Hopefully he grows out of it next year.

by snackdaddy
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   9661  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Yeah, Goff made a big mistake throwing it without even looking to see if he was covered. But it doesn't matter. If he doesn't throw that pick, they woulda just found another way to lose it.

by bremillard
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   625  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Veteran

Dick84 wrote:Sorry, but I’m not letting him off the hook that easy.

Because of the way he played all season. One step up and 2 back. A lot of this failed season is on him.

by bremillard
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   625  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Veteran

snackdaddy wrote:Yeah, Goff made a big mistake throwing it without even looking to see if he was covered. But it doesn't matter. If he doesn't throw that pick, they woulda just found another way to lose it.

Unfortunately...you are probably right.

by ramsrams
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   1176  
Canada   Mississauga, ON
Pro Bowl

CanuckRightWinger wrote:On the phone with ramsrams for the game (as is our Great Canadian Tradition) and I scream out "Holy Fook, we intercept the ball on Niner 25 yard line and end up missing a 52 yard FG!!! How did we do THAT!!??" :x :arrow2: :evil2:

ramsrams in his priceless montone: "Don't overthink it my friend....

IT'S JUST THE WORLD ACCORDING TO GOFF!!" :shock2:

CLASSIC!!!!! :lol2:

John Irving became a Canadian citizen this week.

by /zn/
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   6764  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

The pick 6 was not why they lost, though obviously it didn't help. In the 2nd half they fought back and tied the game. That's on the road against the 2nd ranked defense (1st against the pass). Without a running game (72 yards on 24 carries). All they had on offense was the passing game. Yet they fought back and tied it.

SF allowed only one other 300+ yard passing game all season, and that was against New Orleans.

I am with those who recognize they lost because of the 2 3rd and 16s the Rams D allowed SF to convert, and one of those was a flat-out blown coverage on a rookie mistake by Rapp.

by moklerman
4 years 4 months ago
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:The pick 6 was not why they lost, though obviously it didn't help. In the 2nd half they fought back and tied the game. That's on the road against the 2nd ranked defense (1st against the pass). Without a running game (72 yards on 24 carries). All they had on offense was the passing game. Yet they fought back and tied it.

SF allowed only one other 300+ yard passing game all season, and that was against New Orleans.

I am with those who recognize they lost because of the 2 3rd and 16s the Rams D allowed SF to convert, and one of those was a flat-out blown coverage on a rookie mistake by Rapp.
It's a circular argument since a whole game can't be reduced to one play but I don't think the 10 point hole they had to dig out of was any less significant than the mistakes on the final drive. The Rams D had 6 sacks, 2 INT's and held SF to 334 total yards.

The rushing game wasn't dominant but it was there. Which was well done by McVay IMO. On a day when they weren't producing giant holes for Gurley, they still stuck with it and kept the threat of the run viable. Not to mention punching in a couple of red zone rushing TD's. The o-line also didn't give up any sacks. Only the 2nd time this year that the 49ers didn't have a sack.

So, it may be unfair to ask Goff to play a turnover free game but against the 49ers you just can't give them points or take yourself out of FG range. Goff didn't play bad overall but his lapse in decision making was critical.

by /zn/
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   6764  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:It's a circular argument since a whole game can't be reduced to one play but I don't think the 10 point hole they had to dig out of was any less significant than the mistakes on the final drive. The Rams D had 6 sacks, 2 INT's and held SF to 334 total yards.

The rushing game wasn't dominant but it was there. Which was well done by McVay IMO. On a day when they weren't producing giant holes for Gurley, they still stuck with it and kept the threat of the run viable. Not to mention punching in a couple of red zone rushing TD's. The o-line also didn't give up any sacks. Only the 2nd time this year that the 49ers didn't have a sack.

So, it may be unfair to ask Goff to play a turnover free game but against the 49ers you just can't give them points or take yourself out of FG range. Goff didn't play bad overall but his lapse in decision making was critical.

They had no offense at all without the passing game. There was nothing but that. Ignore that all you want but it's significant. And in terms of mistake free games, the opposing qb was picked twice but they still won.

And I have no idea how you're using the concept of a "circular argument." What you're trying to say doesn't seem to fit that notion.

You also assumed I was going down the "blame" path, which means, in your mind, you must defend the entire defense and point out their contribution. That has nothing to do with anything I said. Yet I also notice that you have this whole catalog of what the defense accomplished, which presumably balances the Rapp busted coverage which let SF win, but then in your post there's no equivalent for Goff--your apparent version of it is, he just had this pick 6, and the 323 yards and related facts just disappear.

I wasn't "blaming" the defense and so no need to defend them. It is true Rapp as an individual player made a crucial and decisive mistake in the final minute which erased the tie and allowed SF to win, against the odds (ie. the odds against converting 2 3rd and 16s. Actually in fact, according to one source that has only happened in one other NFL game going back 40 years.) That's not even "blaming" Rapp either, it's just a description of what happened (ie. I just assume he made a mistake and am not trying to summarize him as a player based on that one thing.)

In spite of everything that had gone before, they had a tie at that point and Rapp's mistake allowed that to be erased, with no time left for the Rams to answer on offense with another score.

by moklerman
4 years 4 months ago
Hall of Fame

They had no offense at all without the passing game. There was nothing but that. Ignore that all you want but it's significant. And in terms of mistake free games, the opposing qb was picked twice but they still won.
That isn't true at all. It wasn't a dominant rushing game but it was important. Two rushing TD's is more than nothing.
You also assumed I was going down the "blame" path,
Seems like more than an assumption when you write:
I am with those who recognize they lost because of the 2 3rd and 16s the Rams D allowed SF to convert

The 49ers defense has been good overall but they haven't been particularly good about forcing interceptions so it isn't like Goff was facing insurmountable odds. The previous 7 consecutive games they gave up 16TD/1INT and in the last 3 games, 8TD/0INT. Asking Goff to just not throw a pick-6 against them isn't too much of a criticism IMO.

by dieterbrock
4 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

So I guess it was Warner’s fault they lost the SB then?
It was a mistake, shit happens. Despite that, Goff had them back on top in 4Q.
They lost the game with lousy play calling on that drive that found them unable to convert a 3rd and 1 (for like the millionth time this season).
They had their foot on the 9ers throat there and let them off the hook.
Goff played a great game, faced that pass rush, stepped up in pocket with Bosa bearing down on him, ran bootlegs, threw that unreal Td to Cooks etc.
All the while doing this with little running game.

• 31 / 43
428 posts Apr 24 2024