158 posts
  • 10 / 16
 by dieterbrock
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

St. Loser Fan wrote:A couple of NHL teams. Norm Green with the Dallas Stars and the Checketts Group with the St. Louis Blues.

And wasn’t that how the Expos ended up getting moved to Washington DC?

Checketts lost his biggest investor, and had to sell because he didn't have the capital. The league didn't force him to sell. The Expos were taken over by MLB because the owner was broke and couldn't secure financing, then were allocated to Washington.
Not seeing where the league forced any of these owners to sell

by sloramfan
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   1581  
United States of America   cen coast cal
Pro Bowl

los angeles clippers were sold..

nba forced..

go rams

slo

by St. Loser Fan
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   10521  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

sloramfan wrote:los angeles clippers were sold..

nba forced..

go rams

slo

We're talking about an owner being forced to sell a pro sports team because they're just bad at business/stupid.

by St. Loser Fan
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   10521  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:Checketts lost his biggest investor, and had to sell because he didn't have the capital. The league didn't force him to sell.

There's some other back of house stuff that never made it wide. Like Checketts taking the cash up front for the arena concessions contract and leaving the Blues without that revenue source for 20 years.

dieterbrock wrote:Not seeing where the league forced any of these owners to sell

You're right in that nobody has truly been forced to sell for something not related to conduct. We can stretch the definition a bit and and reach for examples. Other stuff like the Cleveland Barrons being folded into the North Stars or how Mario Lemieux ended up owning the Penguins...But I think we're in uncharted territory with the ongoing failures of the Spanos family.

by dieterbrock
4 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

St. Loser Fan wrote:There's some other back of house stuff that never made it wide. Like Checketts taking the cash up front for the arena concessions contract and leaving the Blues without that revenue source for 20 years.

You're right in that nobody has truly been forced to sell for something not related to conduct. We can stretch the definition a bit and and reach for examples. Other stuff like the Cleveland Barrons being folded into the North Stars or how Mario Lemieux ended up owning the Penguins...But I think we're in uncharted territory with the ongoing failures of the Spanos family.

The more I thought about it, Checketts is a snake oil salesman. He had that private equity firm wrapped up in his BS and they pulled out when they figured him out. So, maybe the league didn't kick him out, but surely he got kicked out over stupidity.
So I guess I have to give that one to you
If Mark Davis didn't get kicked out over being dumb, I don't know how Spanos will.

by dieterbrock
4 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

sloramfan wrote:los angeles clippers were sold..

nba forced..

go rams

slo

Hence the "Outside of for legal/ethical reasons" caveat

by dieterbrock
4 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:Again, Frank McCourt?

I guess we have to assume Spanos will go thru a crippling divorce too?

• 10 / 16
158 posts Apr 29 2024