158 posts
  • 11 / 16
 by Elvis
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   38436  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

dieterbrock wrote:I guess we have to assume Spanos will go thru a crippling divorce too?

You said outside legal or ethical reasons, McCourt fits the bill.

But i don't think the NFL is gonna make Spanos sell his team. He's one of them. He's in L.A. because the other owners made sure he had the option at the league meeting in Houston. They would not have allowed Kroenke to move to L.A. if there wasn't also something in it for Spanos.

Now maybe they've soured on Spanos so much since then that they want to force him out but i kind of doubt it...

by dieterbrock
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:You said outside legal or ethical reasons, McCourt fits the bill.

But i don't think the NFL is gonna make Spanos sell his team. He's one of them. He's in L.A. because the other owners made sure he had the option at the league meeting in Houston. They would not have allowed Kroenke to move to L.A. if there wasn't also something in it for Spanos.

Now maybe they've soured on Spanos so much since then that they want to force him out but i kind of doubt it...

Well, the conversation is headed in to semantics-ville, where the point is that no owner was forced to sell the team because they're an idiot. McCourt was in financial dire straits, largely due to his crippling divorce. Spanos is just an idiot who is supporting the claim that an NFL owner makes a fortune even if the team isn't successful whether on the field or fan base wise.
The landscape has changed, the Rams are proof of that. I think its far more likely that some player buys the Chargers and invests in the brand heavily as opposed to the "the league" coming in and forcing him out.
Because from what I understand, "the league" is too busy planning out who gets to win or lose every week. Must be exhausting :D

by St. Loser Fan
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   10511  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

We won't know until SoFi opens next season and see how Chargers games are actually attended. If it's 15,000 Chargers fans 25,000 visiting fans and 40,000 empty seats; what happens?

by 69RamFan
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   3169  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

15,OOO Charger fans?... where are you getting that number?

There last game against the Broncos,,, there were about 5,000 Charger fans and 20,000 Denver fans...

The max this year has been 25k of sold seats at the soccer field with more opposing fans,,, :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

If they can't sell out a 28,OOO seating soccer field, what makes you think they are going to get close to 40k? :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

by Mr. Sparkle
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   952  
United States of America   Orange County Ca.
Veteran

SoFi stadium will probably be at least a little nicer than Stubhub/homedepot/whatever soccer field they play at now.

by snackdaddy
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   9656  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Seems like he's one of the old guard. His family has been in the NFL a long time. The other owners feel they have to be loyal to him. The Raiders would have made much more sense. But its a Davis and the Raiders. They're not gonna be loyal to them.

Question is, at some point will the money take precedent over loyalty? Spanos has got to be costing them money. If he stayed in San Diego they woulda been playing in a crappy stadium, but there woulda been a lot more fans in the seats.

by St. Loser Fan
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   10511  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

69RamFan wrote:15,OOO Charger fans?... where are you getting that number?

There last game against the Broncos,,, there were about 5,000 Charger fans and 20,000 Denver fans...

The max this year has been 25k of sold seats at the soccer field with more opposing fans,,, :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

If they can't sell out a 28,OOO seating soccer field, what makes you think they are going to get close to 40k? :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I was assuming more Chargers fans because of lower prices for parking and tickets plus curiosity to see the new stadium. Either way if it's only 5 Chargers fans, 5,000 or 15,000: how long does the NFL accept the optics of a half filled crown jewel stadium?

by Elvis
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   38436  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jayparis/2 ... 55a4116f5b

Strangers In A Strange Land Best Describes The Chargers’ LA Experience

Jay Paris
SportsMoney
I cover the Chargers and Rams

The Los Angeles Chargers might have reached a new low over the weekend, and that’s in addition to losing to the previously winless Denver Broncos.

The Chargers did a faceplant on numerous fronts before a “home” crowd that came strangely dressed in orange.

Denver beat L.A. 20-13 as a lackadaisical Chargers bunch turned the ball over three times (twice in goal-to-go situations) and rushed for only 35 yards despite the return of two-time Pro Bowl running back Melvin Gordon.

“We play like that and we won’t beat anybody,’’ Chargers coach Anthony Lynn.

But it was the gathering that the Bolts were performing in front of that has to jolt the team’s bean counters and the NFL suits on Park Avenue.

“It was two-thirds Broncos fans at the game,’’ a Chargers fan who wanted to remain nameless grumbled. “And the same was true for tailgate areas. Everywhere you looked it was a sea of orange.’’

There was no tsunami of customers at the box office, which is never a good sign when selling a product that has considerable competition in a region known as the entertainment capital of the world.

That same fan mentioned above secured his ticket as if he was going to the movies. He just walked up to the window and bought it, for $129, with the employee asking if he needed more.

He didn’t, just like the prevailing evidence that the Chargers move to L.A. after 56 years in San Diego remains a bust.

CBS, which is among NFL’s broadcasting partners, was among those piling on as the Chargers’ L.A. game-day experience, now in its third season, presents the team with few benefits.

When the Chargers approached the line of scrimmage faced with a third-and-2, inside the Broncos 40-yard-line, the commentary was cringe-worthy.

“How about this? You’re at a Chargers home game and you can hear the roar, you can hear the chant, ‘defense,’’’ CBS’ Jim Nantz said.

Nantz’s partner, Tony Romo, chuckled at a situation which is no laughing matter if you’re peddling Chargers football.

“The Chargers...you don’t get any home-field advantage,’’ Romo said.

Nantz concurred, mentioning that often the Chargers deploy a silent count to get a play off in the not-so-friendly confines of Carson’s Dignity Health Sports Park.

“It’s a different atmosphere,’’ Broncos quarterback Joe Flacco said. “You don’t know who’s cheering for who sometimes.’’

That the Chargers are struggling to gain a following in L.A. is hardly breaking news. The same is true of other teams’ boosters dominating a stadium that was built for soccer and has an NFL team as a tenant.

It’s one that kicked its one-time loyal fan base – the one in San Diego – right in the teeth.

“It’s kind of a cool place, honestly,’’ Flacco added. “It’s not too dissimilar from a really nice Double-A (baseball) stadium, and it’s cool to see a lot of orange jerseys in the stands.’’

It’s green that counts, of course, in the NFL. According to Forbes, the Chargers’ franchise is worth $2.5 billion, which is an increase of 11 percent over the past year. That figure will continue to escalate when the Chargers move into the $5 billion entertainment complex, with the L.A. Rams, for the 2020 season.

But the optics of a team’s fan base in the nation’s second-largest city being easily eclipsed but that of its rivals’ followers - in addition to tickets being available at kickoff in a venue which tops out at under 26,000 – wasn’t what the NFL envisioned in its return to L.A.

That the apathy comes on the heels of a squad which went 12-4 last year, with a playoff win, has to be disheartening.

There was a collection of Chargers fans gathered around a car waiting for the post-game traffic to ease. Blaring from the speakers was the chorus from the team fight song that spoke of days gone by, when those attending on Sundays wore the Chargers’ colors in abundance.

“San Diego Super Chargers, San Diego Chargers! San Diego Super Chargers, San Diego Chargers! Charge!”

The diddy with a disco beat was on repeat, coming through loud and clear, as if serving as a reminder of how strong the brand was when it was located some 100 miles south.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozania ... a08f18665a

Los Angeles Chargers’ Revenue Could Take Hard Hit From Low PSL Sales

Mike Ozanian
SportsMoney
Traffic cop at the intersection of money and sports

The Los Angeles Chargers are still a season away from moving into a new football stadium in Inglewood, California, but there is an indication that revenue for the NFL team may not be as rosy as has been projected.

To help finance SoFi Stadium, the Chargers, who will be co-tenants with the Los Angeles Rams, are expected to kick in $400 million from the sale of personal seat licenses. PSLs give their owners the right to buy season tickets. But the Chargers are reportedly currently $300 million short of that projection.

Where will the team find the money to cover the shortfall and pay for its share of the stadium? A source familiar with the agreement between the Chargers and the Rams says there is a predetermined formula that will be used to calculate how much of the shortfall in PSL revenue will be made up by each team. Based on the formula, the Chargers will make up their end of the difference from their share of stadium revenue.

The more that revenue from the sale of PSLs falls below the Chargers’ $400 million target, the more the split between the Chargers and the Rams evens out. The less the Chargers fall under $400 million, the more the Chargers will pay relative to the Rams.

The Rams—who will control the stadium’s operations and whose owner, Stan Kroenke, is financing the bulk of the stadium—have had no such trouble selling PSLs, from which they could rake in north of $500 million.

The Rams’ control of the new stadium’s economics, as well as the ability to generate more money from the stadium, were big reasons Forbes recently pegged the value of the Rams at $3.8 billion, versus $2.5 billion for the Chargers.

If the Chargers’ struggle to sell PSLs portends a trend for future ticket sales, the spread in value between the two teams will widen.

by Mr. Sparkle
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   952  
United States of America   Orange County Ca.
Veteran

I just don't see the Chargers gaining much ground in the new stadium. A little for sure but not too much. Will they gain popularity? Sure, but it will probably take an entire generation, maybe 20 years before things really start to turn as young fans get older. I do not think the other owners will not want to wait that long. It's hard to gain traction when you are alone too. If you are a new fan and bring your family to the game and you are outnumbered and being heckled, it makes it uncomfortable for most people. As much as everyone loved bashing on the Rams the last few years, I or my family have been to every game but one and it has never approached what the Chargers are going through. I do feel bad for their fans that stayed loyal as its got to be heartbreaking watching your team go through this. Strange situation when Billionaires are all bickering.

by 69RamFan
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   3169  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

St. Loser Fan wrote:I was assuming more Chargers fans because of lower prices for parking and tickets plus curiosity to see the new stadium. Either way if it's only 5 Chargers fans, 5,000 or 15,000: how long does the NFL accept the optics of a half filled crown jewel stadium?

Trust me,,,

From what I've been hearing,,,
The Owners were complaining last season behind close doors...

Because they got a lesser cut from the Chargers percentage of shared revenue,
based in what they were averaging when the Chargers were in S.D.

The Owners are not happen because Spano team Value went up, while the Chargers percentage of shared revenues went down...

There must be something going on behind close doors,,,
Since this story has leaked out...
and Kroenke is not happen...

• 11 / 16
158 posts Apr 16 2024