91 posts
  • 1 / 10
 by max
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

Not sure what to make of this. Here are the worst rush averages for backs with at least 20 carries in PS. How much is attributable to poor OL play?

Darrell Henderson LA 23/57 2.48
Aca'Cedric Ware IND 26/64 2.46
Tra Carson GB 23 56 2.43
Benjamin Snell PIT 20/42 2.10

Kelly is 2.94.

by /zn/
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   6765  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

max wrote:Not sure what to make of this. Here are the worst rush averages for backs with at least 20 carries in PS. How much is attributable to poor OL play?

Darrell Henderson LA 23/57 2.48
Aca'Cedric Ware IND 26/64 2.46
Tra Carson GB 23 56 2.43
Benjamin Snell PIT 20/42 2.10

Kelly is 2.94.

They're starting a whole unit of inexperienced, mostly rookie linemen, who are almost all mastering new techniques while also switching positions. That cannot help but look bad. Plus of course they're also assessing these guys, which means several are playing now who soon won;t be in the league.

Kromer talked about this:
“You’re going to stink for a couple of months. You’re not going to be good,” Kromer said when asked to explain his initial message to his young linemen to The Athletic. “But don’t worry about getting beat. Just worry about trying the technique. Work the technique. Work the play. Understand the play. And do that more than worrying about how many you won or lost right now because that’s not what it’s all about. It’s about getting better.”

There are several advantages to doing it this way, but, for the time being it will just not look very good.

And it indicates nothing about how the starting OL will look during the regular season.

by Elvis
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   38509  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

I've said it before and i'm sure i'll say it many more times, preseason analysis like this is utter folly. I mean i get it, what else are we gonna do but seriously, there's nothing to be learned or surmised here...

by R4L
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   1301  
United States of America   Dayton, Ohio
Pro Bowl

Elvis wrote:I've said it before and i'm sure i'll say it many more times, preseason analysis like this is utter folly. I mean i get it, what else are we gonna do but seriously, there's nothing to be learned or surmised here...

Yeah it's the preseason. I learned a long time ago that you can't get too excited when players do well or vice versa. Good post

by moklerman
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:I've said it before and i'm sure i'll say it many more times, preseason analysis like this is utter folly. I mean i get it, what else are we gonna do but seriously, there's nothing to be learned or surmised here...
On top of that, it's McVay's version of preseason. I wouldn't go so far as to say there is nothing to be gleaned from what the guys on the field are doing but I don't think the fans have any chance of identifying what those things are.

McVay and Co. are looking at and for things but it's a good bet that those things won't show up in YPA stats.

When you don't play your starters, don't gameplan, don't scheme, don't know the play calls and/or the assignments and don't run most of your playbook, there's not much left to view from the armchair.

by max
4 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

I get that, but I like to be careful that we don’t ignore when stuff looks bad but get excited when stuff looks good in PS.

by AvengerRam
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

You can derive the answer to the question, “what does this mean,” by applying the formula:

A x B = what this means

A = diddly
B = squat

by azramsfan93
4 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   1492  
United States of America   Chandler, Arizona
Pro Bowl

I completely agree. Unless we know exactly what the coaches want to learn from analyzing the game tape, we cannot know if the game was a success or failure. For all we know, the Rams offensive coaches might think Henderson has done EXACTLY what they wanted him to do this preseason.

by max
4 years 7 months ago
Hall of Fame

azramsfan93 wrote:For all we know, the Rams offensive coaches might think Henderson has done EXACTLY what they wanted him to do this preseason.

I highly doubt that. My guess is that if Henderson has done EXACTLY what they wanted him to do this preseason he wouldn’t have played so much. He wasn’t as good as Kelly, a guy who was on the bubble.

I think he’s a work in progress. We are just gonna have to wait until the season starts to see how far he’s come.

• 1 / 10
91 posts Apr 25 2024