7 posts
  • 1 / 1
 by Rams43
4 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   64  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Practice Squad

In terms of gems in Rams depth calculations, anyway.

Unlike the Raider game, this Cowboy game revealed maybe a dozen kids that look like they have a possible NFL future, some as potential starters.

It seems certain that the Rams will have excruciating cuts at the following positions:

OLB
ILB
CB
S

I’ll bet that Wade can’t stop smiling today. The only fly in his ointment seems to be JFM and Joseph-Day underwhelming. Gaines is looking quite promising and will probably look more so once playing next to AD.

The O has fewer new gems, but there will be excruciating cuts at WR. The 4th RB is still tbd. Edwards is the lone bright spot on OL depth chart so far, leaving me both mildly surprised and disappointed since I had expected more from Kromer’s boys. The TE backups have been underwhelming so far, to put it mildly.

My personal biggest surprises through two preseason games?

Pleasant surprise is a tie between OLB and ILB candidates among the youngsters. A solid handful of youngsters that are looking like gems, tbh.

Disappointing surprise is another tie between OL (except for Edwards, of course) and the TE kids. I really, really expected a lot more in both areas and I’m sure that the problem isn’t the coaching.

All in all, I’m feeling pretty darned good about Ram prospects for ‘19.

by /zn/
4 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Rams43 wrote:Edwards is the lone bright spot on OL depth chart so far, leaving me both mildly surprised and disappointed since I had expected more from Kromer’s boys.

I like a lot of things you say and agree wholeheartedly about the defensive depth, which is just unbelievable.

On the OL though I have to respectfully disagree. We're catching them in the middle of a process...this is HOW these guys are being developed. These are mostly rookies starting out (early in the game) against defensive 1s. They are being coached up through trial by fire. You just can't expect a young inexperienced, learning on the job OL to impress you. The fact that one rookie stands out (Edwards) is already more than we have a right to expect. In fact it speaks really well of this draft (a 5th round solid looking LOT prospect? Wake me I'm dreaming.)

And during the season, whoever sticks will be subbing in on a more veteran and cohesive line, not lining up with 4 other rookies. And whoever it is, will be better for the experience they're getting now.

I say 4 other rookies. Neary and Demby are more than that but they're still inexperienced. Plus they're overtaxing Demby by asking him to do too much (remember the summer of 2017 when Kromer had Hav at guard and Brown at tackle. For a while anyway. He likes to experiment in the pre-season.)

by CanuckRightWinger
4 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

Nice that Rams43 started a postgame assessment thread like this....even if it is only Game 2 of Preseason, as some might caution. Still and all, this is a forum for talking up our favorite NFL Franchise, so here are some of my thoughts:

There is no substitute for experience.
Wade TheOldMan&TheDee Phillips has a lot of NFL experience. and IMO he seems to have told Snead & McVay, "Hey kids, don't spend too much Draft capital on LBs....we can find them (and good ones at that) late in the Draft or even as UDFAs". :idea2:

Last night, the play of UDFAs Natrez Patrick, Landis Durham, even Troy Reeder (who got ejected UNFAIRLY IMHO for pasting that backup Cowboy QB who doesn't slide till the last nanosecond) and 2018 UDFA Travin Howard was very encouraging to me. Moreover late Round picks like Dakota Allen (7th Rd) and Obo (5th Rd in 2018) looked tough and solid to me...…….heck even waiver wire pickup LB Josh Carroway had some jump. The ONLY guys playing LB for Los Ramos last night who looked ordinary were Micah Kizer and Bryce Hager. :?

Agree 100% with Rams43 about the 2's at OL so far......indeed, except for stellar David Edwards who looks like a young Havenstein ex Wisconsin fellow badger, Evans and the rest have not impressed much. How could Demby get 3 holding penalties, huh!!! :roll2: Maybe Experimenter Kromer SHOULD give Demby just ONE position to concentrate on....that kid looks confused to me last night.

DBs....boy do we have an embarrassment of riches here....Bones' 7th Rounder Nick Scott just missed a pick near the end of the game. Young warriors Kevin Peterson, Darious Williams, Ramon Richards, Dont'e Deayon, all looked decent, and all are waiver-wire and UDFA types! With 2nd Rounder Taylor EddieMeadorClone Rapp and 3rd Rounder David ClancyWilliams Long Jr. looking like their talents matched their Draft positions.....heck, how can we not feel confident about our 2019 defensive backfield before we even talk about star starters like Talib, Peters, Weddle, Johnson..... :idea2: :arrow2: 8-) . Maybe a guy like Troy Hill (even with his $2M pricetag) is a tradeable asset??
…..and who is this Steven Parker guy who is suddenly all over the field making plays huh???!!! :shock2:

Forgot, almost about Greg Gaines......I think we will be very pleased when he lines up with Aaron Donald and rest of the One's in our Front Seven!! :idea2:

On Offense, agree that the Three UDFA TE Amigos have been disappointing so far :? …...but doesn't Darrell Henderson look like the real deal, eh!!! 8-) Great hands and looks to be a natural receiver coming outa the backfield....he catches everything so far. Running behind Whit, Hav and Joe Noteboom blocking will break him out into those big runs, like he had in Memphis IMO.

Like Rams43, I am very encouraged. Definitely some tough roster cuts to make next month!!

by Elvis
4 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   38437  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

https://theathletic.com/1144990/2019/08 ... =twittered

A rookie linebacker moved outside, and perhaps up the Rams’ depth chart, in Hawaii

By Vincent Bonsignore 3h ago

HONOLULU — Life moves pretty fast in the NFL, and it’s never been known to sit around and wait on anyone. You either maintain pace or you get lapped. Adapt or get shown the door.

It’s not a particularly forgiving or understanding system.

So when Rams coaches approached rookie undrafted free agent Natrez Patrick recently about moving from inside linebacker to outside linebacker, he instinctively knew it wasn’t really a request; it was an iron-clad decision. They weren’t asking him. They were pretty much telling him.

“I was willing to do whatever they asked me to do,” Patrick said Saturday after a solid all-around performance in the Rams’ 14-10 loss to the Dallas Cowboys at Aloha Stadium, a game in which he recorded three tackles and combined on a sack.

Injuries to backup candidates Justin Lawler and Trevon Young, and Ogbonnia Okoronkwo’s nagging hamstring injury, depleted some of the depth at edge rusher. With the Rams intent on resting their key defensive players in the preseason and on the lookout for reserve help, they decided to slide Patrick to the outside.

Of course, they gave him the respect of sitting him down and talking it over. Not that he really needed to be convinced that it was in his best interest to accept the assignment. As a young player trying to work his way up from the bottom of the roster, just trying to get noticed enough to force the decision-makers to think long and hard about keeping him around when cut-down day arrives, he understood his lack of leverage.

So it didn’t take long, once the coaches described the plan, before Patrick had a simple response: “I’m in,” he basically told them.

Saturday’s game marked the second consecutive week the Rams’ young linebacker has made his presence felt in a preseason game, after last week’s four-tackle game against the Oakland Raiders. Only this time, he did the bulk of his damage at a new position, having made the move to start at outside linebacker on Saturday.

Patrick is new to the position, but he looked comfortable creating pressure off the edge, dropping back in pass coverage and nimbly getting around the field in run support.

“Natrez has done a nice job,” Rams coach Sean McVay said. “Really, we just transitioned him to outside linebacker a couple of weeks ago almost by necessity, as a result of Justin Lawler’s injury and ‘T-Young’ being banged up. He’s really done a good job. I think (outside linebackers coach) Chris Shula’s been outstanding, in terms of helping him develop and progress quickly.”

Said Patrick: “They just came and told me the plan and honestly, I just handled it and adapted. … You have to be adaptable at this level. And I just rolled with it.”

Based purely on skill — it’s been obvious, watching him in games and in practice, that he has a great feel for the game and an instinctive and explosive element in how he reads situations and accelerates to action — Patrick probably should have heard his name called during the draft last April.

But issues off the field — mostly self-inflicted — pretty much guaranteed Patrick would have to fight his way onto a roster as a free agent. A former highly ranked recruit out of Atlanta, Patrick chose Georgia over scholarship offers from Alabama, Clemson, Auburn and Florida. It was a pretty exclusive list, and it speaks to his level of talent.

He backed that up by earning a starting role as a freshman, and at that point it looked like he was on his way.

But three arrests for marijuana possession over the next three years and a failed drug test while on probation resulted in a stint in rehab and in Patrick having to watch Georgia play in the national championship game in Jan. 2018 from the sideline.

What it didn’t mean, thankfully for him, was expulsion from the football team. Georgia coach Kirby Smart never gave up hope that Patrick could find the necessary help and balance to keep his life in order, so rather than kick him out of the program he threw him a life preserver.

Patrick returned as a senior for the 2018 season as a leader and a productive player, and while he recorded 44 tackles (including 4.5 for loss), that wasn’t enough for the NFL to invest a draft pick in him. He’d get his chance, for sure, but he’d have to do it the hard way.

Patrick completely understood. The draft came and went without his name being called. And he never once felt sorry for himself.

Quite the opposite.

“For me, given everything I’ve been through, it was a blessing just to still be in that conversation,” Patrick said. “So there was no disappointment. In fact, I just feel blessed.”

Natrez Patrick recorded three tackles in 34 snaps Saturday night. (Kyle Terada / USA Today)
Two weeks into the preseason, Patrick has seized the opportunity. McVay puts a lot of emphasis on game tape, believing there are certain aspects of football that simply can not be simulated. And he’s using these preseason games to monitor who can translate practice work into game production. Those who do begin to separate themselves from the pack.

Patrick is doing just that. And now that he’s shown he can play inside and outside, he’s forced his way into a possible roster spot.

That’s an incredible amount of progress for someone who was in a treatment center less than two years ago, wondering what his college football future held.

“It’s a great feeling just to come in here, undrafted as I was, and have this opportunity,” Patrick said. “I’m just trying to take advantage of every opportunity I get. So it’s a great feeling to be able to put good things on film.”

‘Obo’ on the field

Rams outside linebacker Ogbonnia Okoronkwo hadn’t played a game since Jan. 1, 2018, in the Rose Bowl for the Oklahoma Sooners.

Things got pretty weird after that for the Rams’ 2018 fifth-round pick. A broken foot in OTAs cost him all of his rookie year and a nagging quad injury has limited him during training camp this year and kept him out of last week’s preseason opener.

In fact, counting last year’s games and this preseason, 24 Rams games passed with Okoronkwo watching from the sidelines. It was highly frustrating for Okoronkwo and the Rams and even their fans, who were eager to see what the athletic edge rusher could bring to the table.

His day finally arrived Saturday, and he didn’t disappoint.

It was only the preseason, but Okoronkwo displayed explosion and pass-rush ability in his first action with the Rams. He got pressure on the quarterback — and even drew a holding call — showed skill in some stunt calls and even got his hand up to knock down a pass at the line of scrimmage.

It was pretty much everything he and the Rams could have expected after a long absence.

“It felt amazing,” Okoronkwo said afterward. “It’s been a long time coming…just had some bad luck with injuries but so thankful to (trainer) Reggie (Scott) and the rest of the training staff. They do such a great job. They were patient with me. The coaches kept telling me to keep my spirits up. We have a great support system here. It’s a family here and they just kept me into it and every day I just kept on doing what I had to be doing. And I finally got a chance. I had a lot of fun.”

Said McVay: “You see some of the flashes of why we liked him so much, why he was such a productive player at Oklahoma. He drew a couple of holdings tonight and made his presence felt.”

It was a stepping stone for Okoronkwo, who is trying to create a role for himself as a situational pass rusher. The Rams’ starting outside linebacker rotation consists of Dante Fowler Jr., Clay Matthews and Samson Ebukam, but there are supporting roles to be earned.

Okoronkwo, with his ability to potentially bring heat, certainly can create a niche for himself with some more solid outings.

“I’m just grateful to be sitting here today,” he said. “I felt good. It was fun. It was fast, it’s been a while. But I had a ton of fun. It was cool getting back up to speed with everything. And all my teammates were happy with everything, kept my spirits up, encouraging me. Today was great.”

by Neil039
4 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   2664  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

I missed the game, hopefully on a rebroadcast on NFL Network. Thanks for the game takes and opinions on players. It’s a wonderful feeling knowing the Rams have depth and expectations instead of hoping a bunch of guys will exceed their potential to hopefully win.

by R4L
4 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   1301  
United States of America   Dayton, Ohio
Pro Bowl

Nice write up 43. I thought Joseph Day looked good. He had a couple of stuffs. To be honest I didn't hear Gaines name called at all, but I was at a party so I wasn't always paying attention.

by AltiTude Ram
4 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   2178  
United States of America   Denver
Pro Bowl

I missed the game as well. I took in a Def leppard concert in Vegas as another option.

Thanks for updating me on what happened.

It's looking like the Rams are going to have a dominant defense to go with the dominant offense.

The depth on defense sounds like it's going to be tough to get down to 53. I'm loving how this is coming together for the 2019 season!

• 1 / 1
7 posts Apr 16 2024