71 posts
  • 2 / 8
 by 69RamFan
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   3171  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

69RamFan wrote:Maybe A1 can posted it...

I have All 22, and I tried extracting that video play on Streamables, but for some reason its not working for me...

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong,
A1 can you give me some pointers?

Any way, that play, it looks like a cover four on defense, Cooks does a Go route between the CB and Safety, about 25yds down from LOS,,,
and Goff rolls to his left... and passes to Reynolds

Now based off the play,,,, I don't see Goff throwing that deep going to his left... because he was in a awkward position....

so they must of been talking about before the play was snap, and they changed the play...

Opps, I got the wrong play, I'll cut myself a break, it was late and I was tired when I posted... :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

But the play that A1 posted a vid,,, he had no time to throw it deep,,, they were in Goff face from up the middle of the line...

by aeneas1
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:Goff had issues.. but it was a team offend failure... including McVay.

There have to be some counters to that, no? Or is it an execution thing? Does Reynolds need to be aware he’s gonna get taken out? If he slips the chuck, it’s a positive play, right?

And.. being able to run a little would’ve helped.

I really hope Allen is what I hope. I think he’s a bulldog.

mcvay has talked about counters, as in installing more/better counters, the high/low concepts the rams have run over the last couple of years have made the offense vulnerable to defenses that can bring it up the middle and defend the tight bunches... on the play in question goff's first read was cooks, but he couldn't step into the throw and went to his next read woods who was 15+ yards down field, but by the time he went to woods he had a guy in his face, and no safety valve underneath... the rams have done such a good job pushing the ball downfield since mcvay's arrival that i don't think goff could become a dink/dunk guy even if he tried, but i think better contingency packages, dump offs, would make the rams even scarier, altho it might be easier said than done given the rams heavy use of 11 and their dependency on gurley in pass pro in those groups.

by moklerman
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

McVay is consistently good about taking the blame and shielding his players. A nice contrast from what we had before.

King was driving me nuts. Literally 2 full minutes into the interview before McVay got to say a word. King came off as trying to act like he's one of the boys and knows football at the same level as a guy like McVay. Writers are too often full of themselves.

Which reminds me of Vin Scully. He was an announcer that wanted the moment to speak for itself if at all possible. Was watching an old football game on YouTube and Scully was rightfully letting the play and the crowd fill the audio and the color commentator wouldn't shut up. Oh, it was the Ferragamo to Waddy TD in the '79 playoffs. Scully let the moment happen and the color guy just kept bragging about what he thought he was right about.

Same thing with the Gibson HR to beat the A's. Scully didn't talk over that moment and it stands as one of the greatest calls ever.

King needs to take a lesson and apply that to his interviews. IMO, of course.

by Indrid Cold
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   863  
United States of America   Redington Beach, FL
Veteran

aeneas1 wrote:on the play in question goff's first read was cooks, but he couldn't step into the throw and went to his next read woods who was 15+ yards down field, but by the time he went to woods he had a guy in his face, and no safety valve underneath.

First off , thanks for posting. That's what's great about this place. Ask and voila, you receive.

Odd that there's so much focus in the interview on that play. Especially after seeing it. King referenced an article by Andy Benoit, implying it was brought up before, but I couldn't find it referenced in his May article on the Rams.

At any rate, McVay see to imply this play was indicative of his not properly explaining "the why's" of concepts for dealing with unexpected looks. As if there was better understanding by the players (re: Goff), then there would more efficiency/urgency in execution. Which would mean Goff has to throw that ball deep b/c taking/hitting that shot was critical to forcing them out of the quarters zone. Of course, it begs the question of why not run the exact same thing later. Not that it matters a whit or intended to be anything to argue about, but I think Goff had time to make the throw...and based on the context of the interview, McVay somehow blames himself it not being thrown. Kind of sad a 7-man protection gets blown up by 4 guys. On the other hand, this was a hell of a "counter" basically a 2-man route against 6 defenders (Gurley is out for the dump-off with a 7th defender) that gets someone open for a 50 yard TD.
Attachments
Picture1.png

by /zn/
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:McVay is consistently good about taking the blame and shielding his players. A nice contrast from what we had before.

King was driving me nuts. Literally 2 full minutes into the interview before McVay got to say a word. King came off as trying to act like he's one of the boys and knows football at the same level as a guy like McVay. Writers are too often full of themselves.

Which reminds me of Vin Scully. He was an announcer that wanted the moment to speak for itself if at all possible. Was watching an old football game on YouTube and Scully was rightfully letting the play and the crowd fill the audio and the color commentator wouldn't shut up. Oh, it was the Ferragamo to Waddy TD in the '79 playoffs. Scully let the moment happen and the color guy just kept bragging about what he thought he was right about.

Same thing with the Gibson HR to beat the A's. Scully didn't talk over that moment and it stands as one of the greatest calls ever.

King needs to take a lesson and apply that to his interviews. IMO, of course.

The color guy for that game was George Allen.

I can't imagine a situation where George Allen WOULDN'T talk a lot.

by Gareth
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   1207  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

Elvis wrote:I do have to admit i almost lost interest waiting for King to finish his first question...

I so agree with you and Mokler on this. I was wondering if it was just me. Nothing says “I am a terrible interviewer” more than when you are talking more than the interviewee. Which, of course, is almost impossible with McVay.

Plus, his whole sixth play of the game thing was ridiculous. McVay is extremely polite so he was careful not to make him look foolish. But I thought he looked foolish anyway.

by moklerman
4 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

Gareth wrote:I so agree with you and Mokler on this. I was wondering if it was just me. Nothing says “I am a terrible interviewer” more than when you are talking more than the interviewee. Which, of course, is almost impossible with McVay.

Plus, his whole sixth play of the game thing was ridiculous. McVay is extremely polite so he was careful not to make him look foolish. But I thought he looked foolish anyway.
Which is exactly my point. King was trying to insert himself as part of the conversation instead of asking good questions to McVay and letting McVay do the talking.

Not only that, King was asking leading questions and inserting what he thought McVay was thinking.

I mention Vin Scully because even though calling a play by play and conducting an interview isn't the same thing, someone good at each thing knows when to tee it up and then get out of the way.

by Elvis
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   38451  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

I think Dick makes a good point though. That wasn't meant to be aired as is. It was meant to be edited into a story but we got to see the whole thing which is actually pretty cool.

I also learned that McVay is a good listener...

by moklerman
4 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:Which suggests King didn’t let McVay talk.

Which is nonsense.

I get it... people think King is a blowhard in this.

But this is two people who know a lot about football having a conversation.

The thing I found funny is that McVay did all that talking without really giving anything up.

Didn’t talk about any specific scheme things that he thought were wrong.... just talked about structures, concepts.. etc.

Vin was great at letting a moment breathe... those were great moments.
He also could fill time with anecdotes weaved throughly the play by play. The most famous one may be the Hrbek/Prince thing. I’m pretty sure Vin is a genius.
King is a celebrated writer but that doesn't warrant interjecting too much in a conversation like this. As much as he may know about football, as someone already pointed out, an interview should be about the interviewee, not the interviewer.

Howard Stern is always doing that sort of thing. Instead of simply asking a question, he'll ask a leading question and then suggest what the person was probably thinking. It's all pretty obvious and it works in some cases but in this case, I would much rather hear McVay's thoughts on direct questions instead of him politely working with/around the suggestive stuff King was putting out there.

And Vin Scully was the best IMO. As you say, he could let the moment breath or fill the time with anecdotes depending on what was necessary. He also did it with objectivity and class, something many broadcasters don't accomplish or aren't allowed. Some teams prefer their sportscasters to be biased homers and many fans seem to like it too. Vin set the standard for what a sportscaster should be.

• 2 / 8
71 posts Apr 18 2024