CLOSE
66 posts
  • 2 / 7
 by R4L
3 months ago
 Total posts:   805  
United States of America   Dayton, Ohio
Veteran

Dick84 wrote:He's #3 outside corner on the depth chart and they just gave him a contract with about $2 million guaranteed.
He's a lock.

And he's terrible lol. Kidding aside I see your point, but to me Peterson is the better player.

by snackdaddy
3 months ago
 Total posts:   5870  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:Hill is such a lock that they didn't even play him.

Yeah, they signed him to a two year deal at 2 mil per year I believe. I gotta think he's in. He knows the defense pretty well, playing in it the past two seasons.

by snackdaddy
3 months ago
 Total posts:   5870  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Our two rookie offensive linemen had troubles in the Raider game. Although I think moving them around had a lot to do with it. Once a guy can settle down into one spot, he can start to feel comfortable. Then he can slowly learn another spot.

by Rams43
3 months ago
 Total posts:   62  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Practice Squad

Still way too early to call those final slots, of course, but a very fun exercise, nonetheless.

I like Kelly ahead of Davis by just a smidgen.

Wolford won’t make it to the ps. Someone will snatch him up. We either keep 3 QB’s or lose Wolford. Nice problem to have. BTW, Bortles is on a 1 year rental, whereas Wolford could be Goff’s quality backup for 4 years. Let’s see how Wolford plays in these next 3 ps games before we cross that bridge.

Not a big Mundt fan. Would love to see someone beat him out. Just sayin’.

Thomas is our 5th WR. Webster our 6th WR and PR. JoJo out. Sorry.

Gaines will probably beat out Joseph-Day as “starter”. However, both will see lots of snaps in a rotation so it’s probably a distinction without a difference.

That 4th and 5th spot at OLB is still wide open. OBO is on very thin ice. Just way too early to call. We need to see more snaps in these last 3 preseason games.

I think that the starter next to Littleton at ILB is still up in the air, too, although Kiser might have the thinnest of leads. Backups are very much still tbd,IMO. I do feel that the finalists will be more than adequate, however.

We have a very strong CB corps. So much so that I could easily see Troy Hill being traded away. Peterson and Williams have really impressed and frankly outplayed Hill, IMO.

Our S corps is gonna be the envy of the league. Scott is a lock, if only as a ST ace. Final slot? Who knows?

No matter how all these battles shake out we will have a final roster loaded at the top and quite deep in talented development players.

Don’t be surprised if Snead pulls off a trade or two for future picks. I see other teams that will likely give up late picks for some of these otherwise late cut players.

Very, very nice roster “problems” to have, huh?

by Elvis
3 months ago
 Total posts:   23321  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Here's McVay on Thomas:

(On WR Mike Thomas)

“He’s done a really good job. (WR) Mike (Thomas) is a guy that I’ve always been a huge fan of, extremely tough competitor, he’s got great speed, I think he’s catching the ball really consistently. (Wide Receivers Coach) Eric Yarber and (Assistant Wide Receivers Coach) Liam Coen – our receivers’ coaches – have done a great job really with that group as a whole. In a lot of instances, you talk about (WR) Brandin (Cooks), (WR) Robert (Woods), (WR) Cooper (Kupp), (WR) Josh Reynolds now has really ascended to where you’re talking about him, and then I think Mike Thomas has really separated himself as one of those guys that stands out with the way that he’s consistently played. It’s really never been an issue about talent, he’s kind of had some unfortunate issues that have kept him out of the lineup due to injury, but he’s a special guy. (I) just love his consistent demeanor, he’s really valuable for ‘Bones’ (Special Teams Coordinator John Fassel), but he’s a guy that we’re hoping can stay healthy because he can definitely help us at that receiver position.”

by Dick84
3 months ago
 Total posts:   4655  
Italy   LA Coliseum
Superstar

Elvis wrote:Here's McVay on Thomas:

(On WR Mike Thomas)

“He’s done a really good job. (WR) Mike (Thomas) is a guy that I’ve always been a huge fan of, extremely tough competitor, he’s got great speed, I think he’s catching the ball really consistently. (Wide Receivers Coach) Eric Yarber and (Assistant Wide Receivers Coach) Liam Coen – our receivers’ coaches – have done a great job really with that group as a whole. In a lot of instances, you talk about (WR) Brandin (Cooks), (WR) Robert (Woods), (WR) Cooper (Kupp), (WR) Josh Reynolds now has really ascended to where you’re talking about him, and then I think Mike Thomas has really separated himself as one of those guys that stands out with the way that he’s consistently played. It’s really never been an issue about talent, he’s kind of had some unfortunate issues that have kept him out of the lineup due to injury, but he’s a special guy. (I) just love his consistent demeanor, he’s really valuable for ‘Bones’ (Special Teams Coordinator John Fassel), but he’s a guy that we’re hoping can stay healthy because he can definitely help us at that receiver position.”

I love when I see things the same way as McVay, lol.

by Elvis
3 months ago
 Total posts:   23321  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Here's Vinny's latest, more in line with me (at least the positions i have an opinion on)...

https://theathletic.com/1147819/2019/08 ... =twittered

A major injury at linebacker shifts the Rams’ projected 53-man roster

By Vincent Bonsignore

While the Rams’ offensive and defensive starters are virtually set, a fierce battle is underway among a talented group of backup and situational candidates to secure spots on the season-opening 53-man roster. Three weeks into camp, and with two preseason games in the books, here is how I see the final roster shaping up:

Quarterbacks (2)
Jared Goff, Blake Bortles

Goff has not played in the preseason – nor will he. But he’s been fantastic throughout camp and appears poised to make another step forward as an elite quarterback. Bortles has looked solid in his preseason action while working with a lineup full of backups, including a young offensive line continually on the move as players rotate positions. He is the undisputed No. 2. The only question is, do the Rams keep a third QB? Brandon Allen and John Wolford would be in the running.

Running backs (4)
Todd Gurley, Malcolm Brown, Darrell Henderson, John Kelly

Kelly, a second-year back, is making a move to retain his roster spot and is in a fight with Justin Davis to keep the job. But the pecking order behind Gurley clearly goes from Brown to Henderson, a rookie who looked much more comfortable and decisive in his second preseason game compared to his first. Henderson is on target to play a role this year as a change-of-pace back as the Rams try to manage Gurley’s workload.

Receivers (6)
Brandin Cooks, Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, Josh Reynolds, Mike Thomas, JoJo Natson

Thomas, who missed all but one game last year, has separated himself from the rest of the pack behind the Rams’ talented quartet of Cooks, Woods, Kupp and Reynolds. Thomas now appears assured of a roster spot. The question now involves whether Natson’s punt-return ability is enough to earn him another year on the roster, or whether one of the young prospects can show enough on special teams and as a viable pass-catching option to unseat him.

Tight ends (3)
Tyler Higbee, Gerald Everett, Johnny Mundt

The Rams added undrafted rookie free agents Romello Brocker, Keenan Brown and Kendall Blanton, believing one of them could push Mundt, whom they value for blocking ability. There is a good chance that one or two of them will be practice-squad candidates, but it looks like the Rams will stay with the status quo at tight end from a year ago.

Offensive linemen (8)
LT Andrew Whitworth, LG Joe Noteboom, C Brian Allen, RG Austin Blythe, RT Rob Havenstein, T David Edwards, T Bobby Evans, C/G/T Jamil Demby (plus suspended G/C Aaron Neary)

The Rams are pushing young backup candidates Evans, Edwards and Demby this preseason while rotating each of them among two or three different positions. They need to get them up to speed as reliable backups behind the set starters. That group in particular, along with guard Chandler Brewer, who drew the start Saturday against the Cowboys, looked much more settled in Week 2 of the preseason. Neary is in line to win a roster spot, but he will miss the first four games of the season while serving a suspension for violating the NFL’s substance-abuse policy and doesn’t count against the opening 53.

Defensive linemen (6)
Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers, Sebastian Joseph-Day, Greg Gaines, John Franklin-Myers, Morgan Fox

For now, Joseph-Day appears to be holding off Gaines, a rookie from Washington, for the starting nose tackle position although Gaines will be a player to watch as the season unfolds. Tanzel Smart has been solid all camp and also could be in position to secure a roster spot. Franklin-Myers and Fox have value as rotational pass rushers.

Outside linebackers (5)
Dante Fowler Jr., Clay Matthews III, Samson Ebukam, Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, Trevon Young

The Rams waited more than a year to see Okoronkwo, who has battled through injuries the last 16 months, on the field. The second-year pass rusher from Oklahoma didn’t disappoint when it finally happened Saturday. Okoronkwo created noticeable pressure off the edge with burst and explosion and athletic ability, and played himself right back into consideration for a job. Rookie Natrez Patrick, who was moved from ILB to OLB recently, also delivered another strong outing, although with Micah Kiser now out with a pectoral injury, Patrick could move back inside. Justin Lawler will miss time with a foot injury and Young was unable to play Saturday due to injury.

Inside linebackers (5)
Cory Littleton, Bryce Hager, Josh Carraway, Dakota Allen, Natrez Patrick

Kiser needs surgery, which means an extended absence that takes him out of consideration for a starting job. For now, we will peg him as an injured-reserve candidate. It was a devastating blow for a young player whose needle was pointing up. It also means Hager now assumes the starting role, although don’t rule out the Rams trying to bring in some veteran help. Allen really helped himself Saturday by being an active, physical presence. The door is now wide open for a roster spot. Patrick has been opening eyes all camp and showed on Saturday he has the versatility to also play outside. That will help his chances for a roster spot.

Cornerbacks (6)
Marcus Peters, Aqib Talib, Troy Hill, Nickell Robey-Coleman, David Long, Kevin Peterson

A talented player or two will be dropped from this deep group of cornerbacks on cut-down day, because a number of players have stepped up behind the established top four of Peters, Talib, Hill and Robey-Coleman. Long looked much more comfortable in Week 2 of the preseason while Peterson, Darious Williams and Donte Deayon all continued their strong camps. Some tough decisions are ahead for the Rams as they try to sort out this position.

Safeties (5)
Eric Weddle, John Johnson, Taylor Rapp, Marqui Christian, Nick Scott

The battle to keep an eye on here involves Steven Parker, who continues to make plays, and the rookie Scott, who was drafted primarily for his special-teams play. Parker is making a strong case for a job.

Special teams (3)
P Johnny Hekker, K Greg Zuerlein, LS Jake McQuaide

There won’t be any changes here.

• 2 / 7
66 posts Dec 10 2019