48 posts
  • 3 / 5
 by SWAdude
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   2440  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

aeneas1 wrote:i'm not sure i get this? seems to me that we went 4-12 with jeff's smarts, no?

We sure did. Our record with Fisher was a losing record.

He came and left us with a more talented team IMO. Thats where he was smart.

He also came and left us with a better defense. That is where he was smart.

He also came and left us with better special teams. That is where he was smart.

Fisher chose Snead. Smart pick as it turns out.

He also came and left us with an embarrassing performing offense. That for some reason he could not go of the reins and hand it over to someone who could do the job. That is ego. And very strange at that.

I thought we could all see his ego was bigger than the team. And eventually ruined his career and drove us nuts.

Fate is a delicate thing. We very likely would not be looking at a dynasty if we hadn't had Fisher.

GO RAMS.

by snackdaddy
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

rams74 wrote:I've said this before, I'll say it again. I thought Fisher was a bad hire at the time. I never did think he was a good coach for the Rams. But from a personal standpoint, he grew on me over time. I liked him, and thought he was interesting to listen to. I thought he demonstrated knowledge of the game, even if I didn't agree with his approach.

At the time the general consensus among fans and pundits was that he was the best option for the Rams. Basically, most people thought it was a good hire at the time. He did improve the overall talent level on defense. His problem was his coaching philosophy.

On the field he wanted the outdated method of smash mouth defense and power running game. His teams played with a chip on their shoulders trying to intimidate the opposition. Basically bully them into submission. The way the game has evolved, that method is not only obsolete, but its frowned upon in the interest of player safety.

I don't remember which game it was during the All or Nothing series. The game was getting chippy and the refs warned him to tell the players to tone it down. He called them together in a huddle on the sideline. Told them what the refs said. Then with a sly grin he says "Crank it up!" That kind of stuff is what he loves. But its also not as accepted as it used to be.

Off the field he wanted to be a player's coach. One they would run through a brick wall for. His players always loved him. The problem with that was the culture of losing. They all seemed to accept the fact that they were not a winning franchise. They could compete with good teams on occasion by raising their intensity level, but they couldn't establish themselves as winners.

In the end it all came crashing down on him. I think they just wore down from never establishing themselves as a winning franchise. They just accepted that they were not winners. And he could never figure out how to change that culture.

by Elvis
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   38452  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Fisher took over a 2 win team and had them at 7 wins his first year. McVay took over a 4 win team and won 11 his first season. There's almost always enough talent on a team to compete, to not suck.

In comes down, primarily, to coaching. Sags was terrible. Fisher was below average. McVay is excellent...

by dieterbrock
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:Fisher took over a 2 win team and had them at 7 wins his first year. McVay took over a 4 win team and won 11 his first season. There's almost always enough talent on a team to compete, to not suck.

In comes down, primarily, to coaching. Sags was terrible. Fisher was below average. McVay is excellent...

And of course the fact remains that Spagnolo also got 7 wins out of the team 2 years prior to Fisher. So Spags figured out a way to win 7 games, and he's arguably the worst coach, and Fisher could only match that

by TomSlick
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   2908  
Italy   Many of us know the feeling of the universe conspiring to bring car and driver together.
Superstar

rams74 wrote:We're entering year 3 of the McVay era, and we're all thrilled with where we are. I don't feel a need to rehash the failures of the past. Who wants to re-live all that?

Lots of truth here.

However, it is fun to see how far this organization has come.

by Gareth
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   1207  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

rams74 wrote:We're entering year 3 of the McVay era, and we're all thrilled with where we are. I don't feel a need to rehash the failures of the past. Who wants to re-live all that?

I’m only rehashing it because he’s out there distorting his Rams tenure. If he shuts up, so will I.

by 69RamFan
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   3172  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

SWAdude wrote:We sure did. Our record with Fisher was a losing record.

He came and left us with a more talented team IMO. Thats where he was smart.

He also came and left us with a better defense. That is where he was smart.

He also came and left us with better special teams. That is where he was smart.

Fisher chose Snead. Smart pick as it turns out.

He also came and left us with an embarrassing performing offense. That for some reason he could not go of the reins and hand it over to someone who could do the job. That is ego. And very strange at that.

I thought we could all see his ego was bigger than the team. And eventually ruined his career and drove us nuts.

Fate is a delicate thing. We very likely would not be looking at a dynasty if we hadn't had Fisher.

GO RAMS.

Lets not give that much credit to Fisher,,,

First off, Fisher never found Snead, that was Demoff…. its been well documented... the only request from Fisher was he had final say so in players personnel....

The only credit I'll give Fisher, is he was in love with Gurley... that was his guy... and for hiring Bones,,,, but he was the one that build up our ST not Fisher...

Do not mention AD, or Goff, cause those weren't his choice... AD was from Snead's scout team and defensive coaching staff... he wanted a bigger DT to clog up the middle... that was reported...

Goff wasn't his choice either... that was more from the FO, he just went along for the ride cause at the point he knew his time was short...
He no longer had final say so....

As far as a better defense he left over in players,,,, that has been turned over since McVay and Phillip has taken over...

There is a total of only 16 players left from Fisher's regime 7 defensive players 3 ST, and 6 offensive players...

Here is a guy that couldn't get it done,,,, and believe me, I was a big backer for Fisher,,, Pulling for him to win, but he just couldn't do it...
He was basically hired for the move to L.A.

It was McVay and Snead that put this team we now have together for the past two years, to make it McVay's team... Not Fisher,,,,

Not to get political, but Fisher sounds like some political pundits trying to take credit for someone else's doing...

If Fisher had so many good players, and trying to take credit for them, then why couldn't he win with what he had? :roll2: :roll2: :roll2:

by Elvis
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   38452  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

I don't know if Fisher wanted Goff or not but we had the first pick in the draft, it's not like he found a diamond in the rough. It was gonna be Goff or Wentz, they're both legitimate franchise QBs...

by PARAM
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   12243  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

I don't know if Fisher wanted Goff either. But if he didn't he put on a good act in the draft room. His refusal to get him into the lineup sooner than he did was his FINAL demise IMHO. Let's face facts though.....even if he wanted Goff, even if he got him into the lineup from day 1.....under Fisher, his growth and learning potential was as limited as trying to drive a Ferrari in New York City. Impossible.

Donald? I'll give him credit. He was of the defensive mind.

by 69RamFan
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   3172  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

Elvis wrote:I don't know if Fisher wanted Goff or not but we had the first pick in the draft, it's not like he found a diamond in the rough. It was gonna be Goff or Wentz, they're both legitimate franchise QBs...

I remember listening to a radio shows,,, I think it was the Roggin's show, that the FO was going into a different direction,,, and to draft a QB...

That didn't come from Fisher and it was Snead's scouting team, well in advance scouting Goff....

Then also during that time frame, Fisher got an extension on his contract, but it wasn't a long term... this is were he knew he wasn't part of the plan any more... Snead now had the final say so,,,,

Plus according to the other OP stating that Fisher hired Snead, if so, he would of been canned too....

But that was Demoff's hire and he gave Snead one more chance with also a short term contract and the reins for 2016 with the final say so for players personnel,,,

This was all behind close doors that most national media didn't know...
including the move to L.A....

At that time, Roggin had the inside tract in 2014/15/16 that RAMs will be moving back and the personnel hiring... and not the national media....

Fisher knew once the move was completed that he would be replaced... I remember he was being interview after he was fired and he said that he wasn't part of the picture after the move...

• 3 / 5
48 posts Apr 19 2024