12 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by AvengerRam
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

Given the strict aversion to exposing key players to live fire in preseason, the most intriguing thing about this time of the year has to be the search for diamonds in the rough. You never know when the next Doug Smith, D'Marco Farr, London Fletcher or Cory Littleton might emerge.

Maybe Allen could be the next one.

by Rampager
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   32  
United States of America   Alaska
Undrafted Free Agent

I agree. I think Allen makes the team.

by Will0120
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   1172  
Canada   Vancouver, Canada
Commissioner

I am most definitely rooting for him after watching him on Last Chance U. As a matter of fact, I specifically watched for him in the second half when he was in the game. He was around the ball carrier quite a bit. No flashy big plays but in the right place most of the time. We'll see... 8-)

by phoenixrising
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   816  
United States of America   Arroyo Grande, CA
Veteran

Dick84 wrote:Really a useless game in so many ways...
but I do remember thinking.. “that guy looks like a pro” a couple of times.
So.. he’s no fast in the 40, but, lo and behold... his short area times are *exceptional*. He was top 2 at combine in 3 cone & 20 shuttle. We’ve seen this movie before with the Rams & the guys with great short area times.

I’m not gonna be shocked if he shoots up the depth chart. Moves more fluidly than Kiser, imo.

Yeah, I didn't want to say anything after one preseason game, but I didn't see anything to get me excited about Kiser. I expected to see a much more natural, instintive player after a year in the system. (See what I did there? Pumping up my Dakota Allen nomination for the Spruce Award!)

by /zn/
4 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

As of right now, it looks like Kiser is not coming through as some expected (and neither is Hager). Granted Kiser was hurt.

Allen on the other hand is exceeding expectations.

Yes it's early but even given that, it is just freaky how promising the 2019 LB class looks so far. Every time you turn around, there's someone else making a play.

by Claremontram
4 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   226  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Rookie

Allen is a thumper; he will make this team.

by PARAM
4 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   12242  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Claremontram wrote:Allen is a thumper; he will make this team.

There's always a roster spot for someone like that.

by max
4 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

ILB is usually a cheap position to fill. The skills required to excel are more mental than physical as compared to other positions. You’re not really expected to cover receivers as well as a DB nor are you expected to take on blocks as well as a DT.

Playing very smart is what separates the excellent ILB from the subpar ones. You don’t need a freak athlete to play well as your ILB, so they come cheaper. The average salary of ILBs supports this.

by /zn/
4 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

max wrote:ILB is usually a cheap position to fill. The skills required to excel are more mental than physical as compared to other positions. You’re not really expected to cover receivers as well as a DB nor are you expected to take on blocks as well as a DT.

Playing very smart is what separates the excellent ILB from the subpar ones. You don’t need a freak athlete to play well as your ILB, so they come cheaper. The average salary of ILBs supports this.

Plus on top of it Wade has indicated in all sorts of ways that the Rams will be in various subpackages this year more than in the base 3/4 D. That's the whole point of getting guys like Weddle and Matthews plus Rapp. Their versatility feeds into the focus on defensive subpackages plus disguising coverages. The D as a whole will favor DBs over regularly having 2 ILBs on the field...and that's more than just on obvious passing downs.

So the MIKE spot is a limited role with limited snaps anyway. (In contrast the other ILB spot with Littleton will probably see a lot more action.)

The only question this year is, if Hager doesn't cut it (even in a limited role) will Wade give it to a rookie like Patrick or Allen? And if so how soon?

by max
4 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:Plus on top of it Wade has indicated in all sorts of ways that the Rams will be in various subpackages this year more than in the base 3/4 D. That's the whole point of getting guys like Weddle and Matthews plus Rapp. Their versatility feeds into the focus on defensive subpackages plus disguising coverages. The D as a whole will favor DBs over regularly having 2 ILBs on the field...and that's more than just on obvious passing downs.

So the MIKE spot is a limited role with limited snaps anyway. (In contrast the other ILB spot with Littleton will probably see a lot more action.)

The only question this year is, if Hager doesn't cut it (even in a limited role) will Wade give it to a rookie like Patrick or Allen? And if so how soon?

I won’t be surprised to see Patrick move back inside. Hager is bad.

• 1 / 2
12 posts Apr 18 2024