138 posts
  • 3 / 14
 by AvengerRam
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

max wrote:I think it’s fair to cast just about anyone’s analysis in doubt at this point. I’m just wondering how it will all pan out. Waiting for confirmation in the form of on field performance.

You know, trust but verify.

Putting aside the analysis of 6 carries behind a backup OL in a preseason game, Moyer's assertion about Henderson's compatibility with the Rams' blocking scheme seems out of left field to me, given the comments I posted.

by Elvis
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   38448  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

AvengerRam wrote:Putting aside the analysis of 6 carries behind a backup OL in a preseason game, Moyer's assertion about Henderson's compatibility with the Rams' blocking scheme seems out of left field to me, given the comments I posted.

Agreed. When did Henderson admit difficulty adapting to the Rams offense?

by max
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:Agreed. When did Henderson admit difficulty adapting to the Rams offense?

That’s a great question. I never heard that before. So where is Moyer getting that? I gotta ask Vinny.

From Vinny...
I’ve never heard of him. But yeah, there’s been a learning curve on the scheme - which isn’t unusual. Nor is it shocking he hasn’t mastered it in two weeks of camp 😄

by TomSlick
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   2908  
Italy   Many of us know the feeling of the universe conspiring to bring car and driver together.
Superstar

Given McVay's approach to preseason games, any analysis seems like merely a debate subject with nothing to be gained.

by aeneas1
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

this thread reminds me of the rfu 12-pager from a couple of years ago when some were counting and fretting over the number of picks goff was apparently throwing in ota/camp, it was a real concern to some, meaningful, and clearly something to worry about... of course goff ended up finishing the regular season ranked 5th best in fewest picks per pass attempt and over the last two seasons has a lower pick rate than the likes of wilson, cousins, rivers, luck, roethlisberger, watson, stafford, prescott, newton to name a few - wake me up when the regular season starts.

by dieterbrock
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

max wrote:You know, trust but verify.

Which is a pretty hypocritical statement coming from someone concerned about how a player looked in a pre season game

by max
4 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:Which is a pretty hypocritical statement coming from someone concerned about how a player looked in a pre season game

I'm concerned not just because of a PS. I look at everything.

This article is worth viewing.

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2019/08/13/j ... -blocking/

by /zn/
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

max wrote:I'm concerned not just because of a PS. I look at everything.

This article is worth viewing.

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2019/08/13/j ... -blocking/

The article says this:

While Henderson should improve with more repetitions, early signs are that it will not be a natural transition. ... For now, Henderson’s struggles adapting to the base scheme will limit his opportunity to these change-of-pace situations.

Let's say that it does take DH some time to adapt to the Rams base running scheme. That might be true and it might not but let's say it is.

Any good offensive coches can come up with running plays that take advantage of what a young back did in college. They can and likely will scheme up some gap run plays of the kind he ran at Memphis. During the season, he would not be strictly limited to the open-ended zone plays the Rams mostly run.

They're just not going to run those in the pre-season. In the pre-season, you make DH learn how to run ZBS plays.

(And of course even if Henderson adapts quickly to the Rams ZBS, they can still program in plays for him based on his college offense. )

BTW, the reason CJ Anderson picked up the Rams running scheme so quickly is because he had been in it before. When he first got to Denver in 2013, the Broncos legendary OL coach Alex Gibbs, the guru of zone blocking, was still there as a consultant. CJ credits Gibbs with teaching how to be a ZBS type runner.

by max
4 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:The article says this:

Let's say that it does take DH some time to adapt to the Rams base running scheme. That might be true and it might not but let's say it is.

Any good offensive coches can come up with running plays that take advantage of what a young back did in college. They can and likely will scheme up some gap run plays of the kind he ran at Memphis. During the season, he would not be strictly limited to the open-ended zone plays the Rams mostly run.

They're just not going to run those in the pre-season. In the pre-season, you make DH learn how to run ZBS plays.

(And of course even if Henderson adapts quickly to the Rams ZBS, they can still program in plays for him based on his college offense. )

BTW, the reason CJ Anderson picked up the Rams running scheme so quickly is because he had been in it before. When he first got to Denver in 2013, the Broncos legendary OL coach Alex Gibbs, the guru of zone blocking, was still there as a consultant. CJ credits Gibbs with teaching how to be a ZBS type runner.

Yes. I’m aware of that, including the Anderson stuff.

The point here is that clearly there has been a learning curve on the scheme as Vinny said. It’s early, of course, but we won’t know for sure if/when DH gets it until we see it.

Heck, it may be in Hawaii. We just don’t know for sure yet.

• 3 / 14
138 posts Apr 17 2024