44 posts
  • 2 / 5
 by Elvis
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   38463  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

max wrote:What funny is that there are guys out there thinking that all those tackling dummies are very talented. Jake listed about 15 undrafted guys that played last night who he thinks belong on an NFL roster. After they get cut at the first cut down, he’ll say the Rams made a mistake. Not to pick on Jake, but some guys get so wrapped up in these scrubs they can’t tell the difference between Austin Davis and Jared Goff.

One mistake i think a lot of people make is overvaluing these games because it's all they have to go on. The coaches have practice film, scrimmage film, hands on evaluations, most fans only have the preseason games which i doubt carry a lot of weight with the coaches...

by 69RamFan
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   3176  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

The O-line were playing all kinds of different position....

From viewing the tape, Demby played, LG, LT, RG, and C for at least one snap.

Evans I saw at RT, RG, and LT...

Edwards at LT, RT and RG...

in 2020,,, we could see Edwards at LT, Noteboom at LG, Allen at C, Demby at RG and RHav at RT

I was impress with Edwards,,, he seems solid....
Just needs a year to build up his body to NFL standards,,,
and learning the playbook.... and he will be ready....

by PARAM
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   12244  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Is OG a fallback for Evans? I like to see a little more beef than Blythe's 298.

by phoenixrising
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   816  
United States of America   Arroyo Grande, CA
Veteran

I probably like Blythe more than most. He's really smart, technically sound, almost never gets fooled on stunts. And I think he plays at a level above average in a zone scheme. He just has issues with really large, athletic DT's. But I agree with @/zn/ , I think he moves on next year at $4 mil/yr or so. Assuming Noteboom moves out to LT, that leaves two guard positions to fill.

by /zn/
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

phoenixrising wrote:I probably like Blythe more than most. He's really smart, technically sound, almost never gets fooled on stunts. And I think he plays at a level above average in a zone scheme. He just has issues with really large, athletic DT's. But I agree with @/zn/ , I think he moves on next year at $4 mil/yr or so. Assuming Noteboom moves out to LT, that leaves two guard positions to fill.

Unless (as some are thinking) Edwards develops as a left OT. I don't think Edwards is as suited for guard as he is for playing tackle. IF he comes through as a left OT, then, maybe they keep NB at guard for the sake of continuity rather than make Edwards play guard. Then you're just replacing one guard (Blythe's spot), and could have several candidates for that--Demby, Evans, and maybe one of the current UDFAs.

by phoenixrising
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   816  
United States of America   Arroyo Grande, CA
Veteran

/zn/ wrote:Unless (as some are thinking) Edwards develops as a left OT. I don't think Edwards is as suited for guard as he is for playing tackle. IF he comes through as a left OT, then, maybe they keep NB at guard for the sake of continuity rather than make Edwards play guard. Then you're just replacing one guard (Blythe's spot), and could have several candidates for that--Demby, Evans, and maybe one of the current UDFAs.

I agree that Edwards doesn't look like a guard. And I think the Rams got a steal with him. I just really believe Noteboom has a chance to be an elite LT. It's hard for me to imagine Edwards getting to Noteboom's level next year. He needs to devote a year to putting on some weight and getting stronger.

by max
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

I still think this OL is tenuous at best. Losing Saffold is a big deal.

When you lose an OG like Tom Mack you want to replace him with a Kent Hill.

The Rams are playing grab bag on the OL. Draft a bunch of development guys in the middle to late rounds and try to coach them up to be serviceable. That’s the hope. None of them are remotely close to dominant. Right now, there is no remotely dominant player on the OL, save Whitworth who is so old we just can’t be sure when he will lose it.

I’m hopeful but pretty nervous about this OL. They can’t afford any injuries.

by aeneas1
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

max wrote:I still think this OL is tenuous at best. Losing Saffold is a big deal. When you lose an OG like Tom Mack you want to replace him with a Kent Hill.

the 1999 rams put a 7th round jag named nutten in at left guard who had just 2 nfl starts under his belt headed into the 1999 season, seemed to work out ok!

by max
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:the 1999 rams put a 7th round jag named nutten in at left guard who had just 2 nfl starts under his belt headed into the 1999 season, seemed to work out ok!

They had a HOF LT in his prime and a pro bowl RT in Timmerman, and stayed healthy.

There’s shaky depth behind an OK starting OL. That’s what we’ve got. If there is a weak link to this offense, it’s the OL. I think the Rams are vulnerable here.

by aeneas1
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

max wrote:I think the Rams are vulnerable here.

sounds like you think the rams are vulnerable in a lot of areas, same as last year, no?

• 2 / 5
44 posts Apr 20 2024