61 posts
  • 1 / 7
 by aeneas1
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

was looking at mayfield's numbers recently and it's a bit hard to square all of the love he's received with the brutal numbers he posted against the better teams in the league last year, i.e. winning teams.

record: 1-5
tds: 10
int: 11
qb rating: 77.0
completion %: 59.5
average offensive points per game: 17.0

bal (won) - 12 offensive points, 81.7 qb rating
hou (lost) - 13 offensive points, 75.4 qb rating
lac (lost) - 14 offensive points, 52.6 qbrating
pit (lost) - 18 offensive points, 80.8 qb rating
kan (lost) - 21 offensive points, 95.0 qb rating
bal (lost) - 24 offensive points, 79.1 qb rating

against losing teams he did very well, and that's certainly reason for optimism, but boy did he play a lot of of bad teams that fielded bad defenses, for example the bengals twice (32nd in offensive points allowed), raiders (28th in offensive points allowed), the falcons (27th in offensive points allowed), etc., etc.

the browns are the current media darlings, and the love has been mostly driven by mayfield, is he the real deal or will he be yet another browns high pick qb that flops?

by Neil039
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   2664  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

Not hoping for an injury(not for any player, even a Patriot), but wouldn’t mind seeing the Browns fall flat on their face masks!

by 69RamFan
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   3169  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

Wow,,, I didn't realize how bad he did against good teams...
Actually on my other website,,, I said that with the addition skilled Vet players they signed, that the Browns would be a surprised team.....
But not to sure now? :? :? :?

by aeneas1
4 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

here's a look at how qbs fared against teams with a winning record last year, in terms of qb rating and w/l record:

VirtualBox_2019-08-08_01-17-32.png

by aeneas1
4 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:It's tough... he did better.. for example.. against the Broncos than Goff.
But Goff did appreciably better against other common opponents.
But... Mayfield played those teams early on and his later season starts were much better.

Tough to figure.

hard to say how meaningful it is, especially given mayfield was just a rookie, but it's far from impressive from where i'm sitting, will be interesting to see if/how he rebounds against the better teams in 2019 - one thing is for sure, he certainly has some great offensive weapons at his disposal.

also, if mayfield does live up to the immediate greatness many seem to be predicting, no one stands to be a bigger winner than all-world consensus bust greg robinson, who turns just 27 next month... hell, a couple of years of great success with mayfield under center, and before you know it robinson could be in a position to demand real left tackle money, go figure... in fact folks are already talking about the "new greg robinson" after just one season with mayfield, gotta love them apples!

- Greg Robinson: Improvements to technique helping his career turnaround.
- Greg Robinson’s perseverance pays off with pivotal role for Browns.
- Greg Robinson's technical progress evident in Browns camp.

by max
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:was looking at mayfield's numbers recently and it's a bit hard to square all of the love he's received with the brutal numbers he posted against the better teams in the league last year, i.e. winning teams.

record: 1-5
tds: 10
int: 11
qb rating: 77.0
completion %: 59.5
average offensive per game: 17.0

bal (won) - 12 offensive points, 81.7 qb rating
hou (lost) - 13 offensive points, 75.4 qb rating
lac (lost) - 14 offensive points, 52.6 qbrating
pit (lost) - 18 offensive points, 80.8 qb rating
kan (lost) - 21 offensive points, 95.0 qb rating
bal (lost) - 24 offensive points, 79.1 qb rating

against losing teams he did very well, and that's certainly reason for optimism, but boy did he play a lot of of bad teams that fielded bad defenses, for example the bengals twice (32nd in offensive points allowed), raiders (28th in offensive points allowed), the falcons (27th in offensive points allowed), etc., etc.

the browns are the current media darlings, and the love has been mostly driven by mayfield, is he the real deal or will he be yet another browns high pick qb that flops?

Brutal is a bit harsh of a word to use for those numbers you listed.

If those are brutal numbers, what would you call a number like 19.1?

A fluky off-game?

Mayfield had a promising rookie year with a franchise that has been in the dumps for eons. And a HC that isn’t nearly as good as McVay.

Maybe you can figure out a way to bash Mahomes numbers. I would enjoy reading that.

by aeneas1
4 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

max wrote:Brutal is a bit harsh of a word to use for those numbers you listed.

really? only 3 of 30 qualifying qbs posted a worse qb rating against teams with a winning record than mayfield, i find that brutal, especially for a guy who has become a media darling and the poster boy for qb excellence.

max wrote:If those are brutal numbers, what would you call a number like 19.1?

i'm glad you brought that up max - frankly i would call goff's 19.1 qb rating (in arctic conditions, in a year he led his team to the super bowl, in a year he made the pro bowl, in a year he finished with a 100+ qb rating for the second consecutive year) extremely alarming, extremely telling, and certainly reason for great concern... to be honest max, i'm actually stunned that he's looked as sharp as he has in camp and scrimmages so far given that 19.1 game, i fully expected bortles to be in the hunt for the starting job by now, especially considering he's never posted a qb rating below 33.

anyway, i just hope mcvay knows what he's doing giving mr. 19.1 all of the 1 snaps, and saying that it's not a matter of if but when the rams will ink goff to a second contract, if the rams aren't careful they could wind up with one of these type of stiffs:

VirtualBox_2019-08-08_04-51-57.png

by max
4 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:It's tough... he did better.. for example.. against the Broncos than Goff.
But Goff did appreciably better against other common opponents.
But... Mayfield played those teams early on and his later season starts were much better.

Tough to figure.

Come on, Mayfield was a fucking rookie!

Compare him to Goff’s rookie year. Oh, yeah, that’s not fair.

by max
4 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:really? only 3 of 30 qualifying qbs posted a worse qb rating against teams with a winning record than mayfield, i find that brutal, especially for a guy who has become a media darling and the poster boy for qb excellence.

i'm glad you brought that up max - frankly i would call goff's 19.1 qb rating (in arctic conditions, in a year he led his team to the super bowl, in a year he made the pro bowl, in a year he finished with a 100+ qb rating for the second consecutive year) extremely alarming, extremely telling, and certainly reason for great concern... to be honest max, i'm actually stunned that he's looked as sharp as he has in camp and scrimmages so far given that 19.1 game, i fully expected bortles to be in the hunt for the starting job by now, especially considering he's never posted a qb rating below 33.

anyway, i just hope mcvay knows what he's doing giving mr. 19.1 all of the 1 snaps, and saying that it's not a matter of if but when the rams will ink goff to a second contract, if the rams aren't careful they could wind up with one of these type of stiffs:

VirtualBox_2019-08-08_04-51-57.png

Why don’t you compare rookie years?

This is ridiculous. Comparing Goff in his 3rd year to Mayfield?

Do you really believe that’s a fair comparison?

Hey, I love what Goff is showing. The kid looks great. But downplaying Mayfield's rookie year is way off base. That kid threw 27 TDs in 14 games as a rookie. I don’t care who he played against, those are impressive numbers for a rookie QB on a historically bad team.

Sometimes your bias is overwhelming.

by /zn/
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

max wrote:Why don’t you compare rookie years?

Mayfield as a rookie: 93.7 qb rating, 27 TD 14 INT

Some other recent rookie years, going back to 2012 and using the same numbers . Note: as we know, some of these guys start okay then fade. "Blue" guys are ones that start out roughly as well as Mayfield or better:

Allen: 67.9, 10 TD 12 INT
Darnold: 77.6, 17 TD 15 INT
Jackson: 84.5, 6 TD 3 INT

Trubisky: 77.5, 7 TD 7 INT
Watson: 103.0, 19 TD 8 INT

Wentz: 79.3, 16 TD 14 INT

Winston: 84.2, 22 TD 15 INT
Mariota: 91.5, 19 TD 10 IN
Bridgewater: 85.2, 14 TD 12 INT

Bortles: 69.5, 11 TD 19 INT
Carr: 76.6, 21 TD 12 INT

Wilson: 100.0, 26 TD 10 INT