29 posts
  • 1 / 3
 by moklerman
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

Does anyone know which Championship Game was first, at the time, called the Super Bowl? I was pretty sure that the first Super Bowl between the Chiefs and Packers was still called the Championship Game at the time.

Lamar Hunt, the owner of the Chiefs, wanted a better name and came up with the Super Bowl. But when did the big game actually start being called that? It wasn't after the merger in 1970 was it?

by dieterbrock
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

I'm too lazy to look it up but IIRC, although the official title of the game was the NFL/AFL championship game, it was referred to as the Super bowl from game 1.

by moklerman
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

Not sure how official the souvenir programs are but it's stuff like this that make me wonder. The first two championships were still called that but by the third, it changed to Super Bowl. Having the first merger championship game (SB IV) being called the Super Bowl would have made the most sense to me.

by AvengerRam
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

I always thought the game was named for an excellent nocturnal bird of prey.

by max
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

I remember people calling packers raiders the Super Bowl. At least everyone I knew in NY and in the media.

by dieterbrock
4 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

I also thought that Hunt naming the game was an old wives tale, it had nothing to do with him

by KNUCKLEHEAD
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   36  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Undrafted Free Agent

News outlets were calling it a/the "Super Bowl" from the very beginning. Playing off the familiar theme from college bowl games. The first 3 however were called "World Championship Games" by the NFL. It wasn't until the 4th game that they officially became the "Super Bowl." Trust me.

by Hacksaw
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

moklerman wrote:Does anyone know which Championship Game was first, at the time, called the Super Bowl? I was pretty sure that the first Super Bowl between the Chiefs and Packers was still called the Championship Game at the time.

Lamar Hunt, owner of the AFL's Kansas City Chiefs, first used the term "Super Bowl" to refer to the NFL-AFL championship game in the merger meetings.

On a different note, your avatar always makes me think of this bit:

Thorton Melon: How would you like to go to dinner tonight?
Dr. Turner: Actually, I'd like to join you, but I have class tonight.
Thornton Melon: Oh. How 'bout tomorrow night?
Dr. Turner: I have class then, too.
Thornton Melon: I'll tell you what, then. Why don't you call me some time when you have no class? :lol2:

by dieterbrock
4 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

KNUCKLEHEAD wrote:News outlets were calling it a/the "Super Bowl" from the very beginning. Playing off the familiar theme from college bowl games. The first 3 however were called "World Championship Games" by the NFL. It wasn't until the 4th game that they officially became the "Super Bowl." Trust me.

Look at the newspaper I posted...

by KNUCKLEHEAD
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   36  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Undrafted Free Agent

dieterbrock wrote:Look at the newspaper I posted...
I did. Did you read the first paragraph of the paper you posted? Anyway... Look at what I posted. Newspapers are also "news outlets"(though that questionable these days.) Like I said.... You can trust me. This isn't debatable.

• 1 / 3
29 posts Apr 18 2024