4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

Nice stat work by Blaine here...

https://www.downtownrams.com/single-pos ... e-in-2019/

An Analytical Look at How Jared Goff Can Become Elite in 2019
2 days ago Blaine Grisak

When it comes to the Los Angeles Rams and Jared Goff, where the quarterback ranks might be one of the hottest debate topics in the NFL. Is he a top-10 quarterback? Is he a top-15 quarterback? How much of Jared Goff’s success is Sean McVay? And finally, the best one, is Jared Goff, a system quarterback?

The Rams know what Goff is capable of. Without him, they wouldn’t have been in the Super Bowl last season. McVay’s system certainly deserves credit, but a system is only as a good as the talent executing it.

In 2018, there were two halves of Jared Goff. There was the Goff that played at an MVP caliber level before the bye week and then the Goff that looked pretty mediocre in the final five games of the season and the Super Bowl.

In Weeks 1-11, Goff threw for 3,547 yards which ranked second behind only Patrick Mahomes. The Rams quarterback completed 67.7% of his passes with 26 touchdowns to six interceptions – the third-best TD:INT ratio in football.

Had Goff kept that pace, he would have finished with 5,159 yards which would have been 30 yards better than Ben Roethlisberger‘s league-leading mark. His 37 touchdowns, meanwhile, would have finished third.

While Mahomes stole the show and did it for 16 games. However, had Goff kept up his pace, he would have had a legitimate case for MVP. Below is an analytical look at several different categories and how Goff can win MVP in 2019.

Accuracy
This is an essential trait for an NFL quarterback and is an area in which Jared Goff continues to improve. Goff completed just 54.6% of his passes as a rookie and improved that to 62.1% in his sophomore year. That number again took a jump in his third season, increasing to 64.9%.

This was the case in his adjusted completion percentage as well. His adjusted completion percentage was 72% in 2017, trailing Drew Brees (80.1%). That mark improved in 2018, jumping to 75.1%, again trailing Brees (82.2).

However, completion percentage as a standalone statistic is imperfect.

Pro Football Focus has a metric that take these imperfections into account. They take into account the depth of every target thrown by a quarterback and compare them to what the expected completion percentage should have been.

With this stat, Goff ranked ninth in the NFL last season with a +3.3 difference of completion percentage and expected completion percentage. Drew Brees and Patrick Mahomes led the league in this stat at +8.1 and +7.1 respectively. This also trailed Carson Wentz (+6.5), DeShaun Watson (+4.9), and Andrew Luck (+3.4).

NFL’s Next Gen Stats provides additional context with a metric called completion percentage above expectation. It looks at the probability of a completion on every throw, based on multiple factors such as a receiver’s separation from the nearest defender, where the receiver is on the field, how close the nearest pass rusher is to the quarterback, etc.

In this category, Goff ranked 16th in the NFL and trailed quarterbacks such as Cody Kessler, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Nick Foles. This metric takes the system and talent of receivers more into account. While Goff ranked 16th, Mahomes wasn’t much better at 14 while Drew Brees (+7.4) still ranked at the top. Goff’s +1 in this metric was a significant improvement from his -2.1 the season before and his -5.4 in 2016.

The increase in accuracy every year is an indicator that Goff continues to get more confident each season. While his accuracy is average-above average, he still has the capabilities of making the elite throw. However, in order to take that next step, he’ll need to improve even more. You’d like to see the adjusted completion percentage around 78% which is right where it was the first 11 weeks of the season (77.5%).

Aggressiveness
When it comes to Jared Goff, many believe he plays too conservatively because he plays behind McVay’s headset.

Next Gen Stats tracks a metric called aggressiveness, which measures the percentage of throws a quarterback makes into windows when there is a defender within 1 yard of the receiver.

While being aggressive is a good thing, you also don’t want a quarterback to be too aggressive. Being less aggressive can actually be a good thing because it means that a quarterback is throwing to open receivers which again brings the scheme into account.

Last season, Goff’s aggressive throw percentage was 13.2% while notable quarterbacks such as Andrew Luck (18.2), Dak Prescott (17.7), and Cam Newtown (17.2) all had higher percentages. Again, this can be seen as a good thing and speaks to the system. And no, that’s not saying Goff is a system quarterback.

MVP Mahomes’ aggressive throw percentage was just 12.2% and Tom Brady‘s was 13.9%. Mahomes plays in a great system under Andy and Brady the same with Brady andJosh McDaniels.

However, what is troubling in a sense is that Goff’s aggressive throw percentage was actually down from 2017 (14.3%). For Goff to take that next step, he doesn’t need to be overly aggressive but being able to take calculated risks will help him escape the system quarterback label.

Decision Making
Quarterbacks in the NFL get judged by two things: sacks and interceptions.

Despite having the third-longest time from snap to sack, Goff was sacked the 18th most in the NFL last season. Only Joe Flacco and Dak Prescott had more time. Flacco was the sixth-fewest sacked quarterback last season while Prescott was the second-most sacked quarterback.

Goff was also given the fifth-most time to throw by his offensive line. 23 of Goff’s 25 sacks occurred when he was given 2.5 or more seconds to throw. This is the case for most quarterbacks as if you’re getting rid of the ball in under 2.5 seconds, most likely you aren’t getting sacked.

However, Goff’s 13:1 ratio of sacks over 2.5 seconds to sacks under 2.5 trailed only Aaron Rodgers, Cam Newton, and Ben Roethlisberger.

This means that when Goff is getting sacked, most of the time, it’s because he’s simply holding on to the ball too long and not throwing it away. This either means that Goff doesn’t see the field correctly on these plays, is waiting for something to develop, is trying to make too much happen, or it’s merely a coverage sack.

Despite being given the third-most time to throw, Goff’s 5.6% sack percentage ranked 12th. Meanwhile, Andrew Luck had an average release time of 2.43 seconds and had the lowest sack percentage of 2.7%.

Goff’s sack percentage remained relatively the same from year one to year two under Sean McVay. In 2017, the Rams quarterback had a sack percentage of 5.0%. Goff’s release time must get quicker to avoid taking sacks.

When it comes to interceptions, Goff has remained relatively consistent, but again, took a slight drop in 2018. In year one with McVay, Goff had an interception percentage of 1.5% compared to 2.1% in year two.

His 2.1 interception percentage ranked 15th in the NFL and was the same as Mahomes as both quarterbacks threw 12 interceptions.

When it comes to throwing the football, Jared Goff remains one of the best in the NFL. Since 2017, his 1.83 interception percentage ranks ninth.

Situational Football
NFL games are won and lost in the red zone and on third down. If teams can’t succeed in those situations, it’s hard to win football games.

The Rams over the past two years have been mediocre when it comes to the red zone. McVay’s offense ranked 19th in red zone efficiency in 2018 and was one of four teams to make the playoffs despite ranking in the bottom half of the league. However, the Rams were just one of two teams in that category to win a playoff game along with the Philadelphia Eagles.

This trend continues in nearly every metric in the red zone. The Rams ranked 16th in points per red zone trip and touchdown percentage.

Like everything in football, that begins and ends with the quarterback. Goff’s completion percentage dropped from 64.9% to 58.42% in the red zone. That 6.48% drop in accruacy was the 15th largest in the NFL. Most of the time this drop had a direct correlation to a team’s success in thered zone. Teams with quarterbacks that had more than a 5% drop in accuracy finished average to worst red zone offenses in the league. The only exception being Ben Roethlisberger who saw a 10.62 drop in accuracy despite leading the best red zone offense.

Goff had a 56.79 completion percentage in the NFL in 2017 under McVay and again had that 5.31 drop in accuracy.

In the red zone, the field shrinks, and it’s obvious that Goff struggles in that area. His 58.42 red zone percentage drops even further to 50% inside the 10 yard line which tied for the seventh-worst mark among quarterbacks with more than 25 attempts.

Goff was one of just three quarterbacks to throw more than 100 passes in red zone last season, but was the only one of those quarterbacks to throw less than 25 red zone touchdowns. The Rams quarterback was also one of 14 to throw multiple interceptions inside the 20.

Looking at the top quarterbacks in the league, Mahomes threw 35 touchdowns to one interception in the red zone last season while Brees threw 22 touchdowns to no interceptions. For the Rams to get better in the red zone, Goff must get better.

While Goff struggles in the red zone, he remains one of the best on third down. In 2018, 46% of Goff’s passes on third down, went for first downs. That was the sixth-best mark in the NFL, trailing Mahomes by 5.1%. Goff’s completion percentage remains a steady 65.3% on third-down which is 1.3% less than his completion percentage on first down and 2.1% better than second down.

One last mark to note here is when the game is in the final minutes and the team is within one score. In the final seven minutes of games, the Rams quarterback saw his passer rating drop from 8th (101.1) to 30th (76.8). That continues in the fourth quarter when the game is within seven points whether leading or trailing. Goff completed just 58.1% of his passes in those situations in 2018.

However, Goff led four game-winning drives, last season, including in the NFC Championship game. Clutch stats are overrated. While Goff’s numbers in the fourth quarter may have taken a fall, the fact is, the Rams trailed in the fourth quarter nine times last season and the Rams went on to win five of those games.

Producing explosive plays
Explosive plays make the job of an offense a lot easier. If you are able to shorten drives, it’s a lot less work for an offense. The Rams have excelled in this area with Jared Goff. The Rams ranked third in the NFL in 20+ yard passing plays last season. The team then ranked 12th on 40+ yard passing plays.

A lot of that has to do with Goff’s deep ball accuracy. Goff’s deep passing ability is the most appealing part of his game, as he finished eighth in overall accuracy. This was a tremendous strength of his coming out of college at Cal, and it has transferred to the NFL.

Goff was at his best in three areas, finishing fifth in accuracy percentage in the 26-30 range (66.7%), in clean pockets (60.0%) and throwing into tight windows (42.11%). Goff also finished in the top ten in accuracy on throws of 36-40 yards.

When it comes to being among the elite quarterbacks, Goff sets the standard with the deep ball.

Conclusion
Jared Goff has solidified himself in that second-tier of quarterbacks at just 24-years of age. The good news about that is, he’s just entering his prime and continues to get better. The Rams quarterback has proven that he can play at an MVP-caliber level, but needs to prove he can do so over 16 games. The return of Cooper Kupp and another season under McVay should help with that.

Goff’s accuracy continues to improve and he continues to flourish in McVay’s system. But that doesn’t mean he’s a system quarterback. He needs to improve in the red zone and in his decision making. However, he’s right there and ready to take that next leap. His efficiency on third down and deep ball are among the elite quarterback in the league and it’s only a matter of time before the rest of his game follows suit.

by AvengerRam
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

Some of those "stats" are questionable, but the overall conclusions are pretty reasonable.

What I see in Goff is a highly-talented QB who is still very young, has shown the propensity for improvement, and should continue to improve.

If the Rams' offensive system and skill players make it easy for him to do so... all the better.

by max
4 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:Some of those "stats" are questionable, but the overall conclusions are pretty reasonable.

What I see in Goff is a highly-talented QB who is still very young, has shown the propensity for improvement, and should continue to improve.

If the Rams' offensive system and skill players make it easy for him to do so... all the better.

Which “stats” do you find questionable? Please be specific.

by AvengerRam
4 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

max wrote:Which “stats” do you find questionable? Please be specific.

The one that jumps out at me is "aggressive throw percentage" (AT%) which is, in essence, the percentage of throws made into tight coverage. I can think of at least three factors that might cause a QB's AT% might be lower:

1. The QB is cautious (or "not aggressive");
2. Receivers are frequently getting wide open, obviating the need (or opportunity) for aggressive throws; and
3. QB is going through progressions and finding more open receivers (as opposed to frequently going with Option 1, regardless of how tight the coverage is).

The author acknowledges these factors to a degree, but then he criticizes Goff (albeit mildly) for having a lower AT% in 2018 than he had in 2017. Well... given that two of the three factors I listed suggest that a lower AT% would be a good thing (open receivers, QB finding them by going through progressions), I just don't see this as an indicator of a problem, nor do I think a higher AT% in 2019 would necessary signify improvement.

So, all in all, I don't really see AT% as a particularly helpful metric in evaluating a QB.

by max
4 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:The one that jumps out at me is "aggressive throw percentage" (AT%) which is, in essence, the percentage of throws made into tight coverage. I can think of at least three factors that might cause a QB's AT% might be lower:

1. The QB is cautious (or "not aggressive");
2. Receivers are frequently getting wide open, obviating the need (or opportunity) for aggressive throws; and
3. QB is going through progressions and finding more open receivers (as opposed to frequently going with Option 1, regardless of how tight the coverage is).

The author acknowledges these factors to a degree, but then he criticizes Goff (albeit mildly) for having a lower AT% in 2018 than he had in 2017. Well... given that two of the three factors I listed suggest that a lower AT% would be a good thing (open receivers, QB finding them by going through progressions), I just don't see this as an indicator of a problem, nor do I think a higher AT% in 2019 would necessary signify improvement.

So, all in all, I don't really see AT% as a particularly helpful metric in evaluating a QB.

Yeah, me neither. I mean, it does tend to be higher for more aggressive QBs, but so what. I’m much more interested in improvement in the red zone, by both McVay and Goff.

by AvengerRam
4 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

max wrote:Yeah, me neither. I mean, it does tend to be higher for more aggressive QBs, but so what. I’m much more interested in improvement in the red zone, by both McVay and Goff.

Uh-oh! max and I agree on something...

by max
4 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:Uh-oh! max and I agree on something...

If you think Goff was not good in the red zone then we agree.

by AvengerRam
4 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

max wrote:If you think Goff was not good in the red zone then we agree.

Clearly, that is an area where he needs to improve. As you noted previously, play calling is part of that equation too.

by rams74
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   1471  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

AvengerRam wrote:Clearly, that is an area where he needs to improve. As you noted previously, play calling is part of that equation too.

I think play calling is a big part of that equation. I really don't like the way McVay calls plays in the red zone, and especially inside the 10. He's got to get more creative there, which in turn will put Goff in a better position to be successful on those plays. If not, I think we can expect more of the same.

by aeneas1
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

NFL’s Next Gen Stats provides additional context with a metric called completion percentage above expectation.... In this category, Goff ranked 16th in the NFL and trailed quarterbacks such as Cody Kessler, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Nick Foles.

so what? this "metric" also ranks brady 31st, rodgers 26th, roethlisberger 21, luck 18th to name a few.... moreover it ranks foles 2nd, fitz 7th, kessler 10th.. so why should i care about this "metric" exactly? not all stats are meaningful.

In 2018, there were two halves of Jared Goff. There was the Goff that played at an MVP caliber level before the bye week and then the Goff that looked pretty mediocre in the final five games of the season and the Super Bowl.

throw out the aberration that was the chicago game, and after the bye goff led the rams to 31.3 offensive points per game, a 3-1 record, a first round bye, and booked a higher qb rating than luck, brees, rodgers, and rivers to name a few.... such mediocrity!

The increase in accuracy every year is an indicator that Goff continues to get more confident each season. While his accuracy is average-above average, he still has the capabilities of making the elite throw. However, in order to take that next step, he’ll need to improve even more. You’d like to see the adjusted completion percentage around 78% which is right where it was the first 11 weeks of the season (77.5%).

first, accuracy is largely driven by average depth of target, there's an undeniably strong correlation between completion rate and depth of pass... goff ranked 8th in average air yards last season, i.e. 8th in average depth of pass - among those qbs in the top 8, goff ranked 3rd in completion %, behind only mahomes and wilson (400+ attempts)... pff ranked goff as the leagues 8th best qb in 2018, and ranked him 8th in deep pass (21+ yards) accuracy.

Aggressiveness - However, what is troubling in a sense is that Goff’s aggressive throw percentage was actually down from 2017 (14.3%). For Goff to take that next step, he doesn’t need to be overly aggressive but being able to take calculated risks will help him escape the system quarterback label.

another nonsensical "analysis" and conclusion... rosen ranked 1st in aggressiveness, driskel 2nd, darnold 5th... mahomes ranked 37th, goff 31st, rodgers 30th, wilson 28th, brady 27th, brees 23rd, etc., etc... please explain the meaningfulness of this metric? why it's important to be ranked high in this metric?

Decision Making - Quarterbacks in the NFL get judged by two things: sacks and interceptions. Despite having the third-longest time from snap to sack, Goff was sacked the 18th most in the NFL last season. Only Joe Flacco and Dak Prescott had more time. Flacco was the sixth-fewest sacked quarterback last season while Prescott was the second-most sacked quarterback.

yet another rube who doesn't grasp time-to-throw statistics (or the rams hi-low concept apparently).

The Rams over the past two years have been mediocre when it comes to the red zone. McVay’s offense ranked 19th in red zone efficiency in 2018 and was one of four teams to make the playoffs despite ranking in the bottom half of the league. However, the Rams were just one of two teams in that category to win a playoff game along with the Philadelphia Eagles. This trend continues in nearly every metric in the red zone. The Rams ranked 16th in points per red zone trip and touchdown percentage.

actually the rams ranked 6th in rz scoring % last season, so i'm assuming this guy's talking about the rams rz td scoring % (a 16th ranking), i.e. excluding field goals (who knows where he got the 19th ranking number?).

yet despite coming in at 16th in rz td% the rams finished the year ranked 3rd in offensive scoring... the browns ranked 5th in rz td% but 16th in offensive scoring... the bengals ranked 7th in rz td% but 20th in offensive scoring.

the super bowl champs ranked worse than the rams in rz td% in 2018, go figure.

Looking at the top quarterbacks in the league, Mahomes threw 35 touchdowns to one interception in the red zone last season while Brees threw 22 touchdowns to no interceptions. For the Rams to get better in the red zone, Goff must get better.

goff threw 23 rz tds, only brees and mahomes threw more - brees and mahomes each threw 1 rz pick, goff threw 2, the horror!!!! also, fwiw, goff had a better rz qb rating than rivers, wilson, rodgers, roethlisberger, prescott, to name a few, while dalton ranked 7th in rz qb rating, better than brady, wentz and a host of others, weird, maybe the rams should deal for dalton and send this goff kid packing?

One last mark to note here is when the game is in the final minutes and the team is within one score. In the final seven minutes of games, the Rams quarterback saw his passer rating drop from 8th (101.1) to 30th (76.8). That continues in the fourth quarter when the game is within seven points whether leading or trailing. Goff completed just 58.1% of his passes in those situations in 2018.

i have no idea what this guy is talking about here - last season goff owned a 111.8 qb rating when the rams trailed by 7 or less in the final 7 minutes of a game (what an arbitrary cut-off), only 4 qbs had a higher qb rating - and this includes goff's dramatic game winning 40-yard td strike to everett with 1:56 remaining to beat the chiefs... yeah, if the rams only had a capable qb in that sitch! :roll2: :D

• 1 / 37
364 posts Apr 18 2024