10 posts
  • 1 / 1
 by aeneas1
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

the rams and several rams players posted congrats tweets, but as far as i can tell no one from the rams organization took the time to catch the game(s) live, even tho the guys have been scattered around the globe recently... also, i didn't notice any uswnt threads in the rfu "other sports" section, so what gives?

personally i didn't catch any of the wwc and, very surprisingly, none of my customers ever asked us to show any of the games on our big screens, not even the finals... anyway, from what i've read the semi-finals and finals sold out in record time, and overall the 2019 wwc was a huge success.

so did any of you watch the games with bated breath?

by Elvis
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   38452  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

I watched some. My wife was into it, even set the alarm for 8 am Sunday morning to make sure i was up for the final.

And now it's Rams related:

by rams74
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   1471  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

aeneas1 wrote:so did any of you watch the games with bated breath?

My family watched most of them. My wife and I are into international soccer, so sure...

by moklerman
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

I don't begrudge those who are entertained by it. With the WWC, I don't think the particular sport matters much. National pride is more involved IMO. Kind of like the Olympics. Doesn't matter what sport they're doing, you just want your people to win.

Personally, I can't get into soccer or hockey. I have tried on many occasions and they just bore me to death. As passionate as people are about it I'd love to be a part of the fun but it's just terrible to watch.

by dieterbrock
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

There's a multitude of reasons why IMO
The allure of the USA winning isn't there as much since they just won last year and have won 4 times in the last 8 sessions. So the interest for non soccer fans is not what it had been in previous years.
On top of that, and I hate to bring politics in, but it is just exhausting how easily divided we can be by injecting political controversy in to an event like this. I'm sick of the athletes/entertainers using these platforms for personal gain.
So you combine those 2 things and I can totally understand why

by rams74
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   1471  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

moklerman wrote:Personally, I can't get into soccer or hockey. I have tried on many occasions and they just bore me to death. As passionate as people are about it I'd love to be a part of the fun but it's just terrible to watch.

I understand this point of view. All I can say is that, from my own experience, living in other parts of the world when I was younger caused me to form interests in sports that were available to me in those places. Watching sports with people who were passionate about those sports opened my eyes. I love soccer, when it's played at the highest levels.

by SpeedRacer
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   389  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Starter

I watched some games. I also coach a middle school girls soccer team. This automatically leads to showing positive, strong will and desire for a young group to see.

In my opinion women's soccer shows well and prefer it to women's basketball. But I don't pay attention to any leagues or teams.

I agree this was an olympiclike event: Years in between competitions and national pride/interest. I also think the media maybe took an opportunity during a down sports period to write about it. It would probably show to be less popular than the coverage would suggest if an independent interest poll was taken.

There was an NFL connection as Zach Ertz wife plays a prominent role for the team.

Go Rams!

by max
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

Boring

by Haden
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   2134  
United States of America   Spokane, WA
RFU Survivor Champ

max wrote:Boring

Agreed. Soccer = zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

by snackdaddy
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

I said it before and I'll say it again. Soccer is much like marriage. A whole lot of work with very little scoring. 8-)

• 1 / 1
10 posts Apr 18 2024