16 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by aeneas1
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

just stumbled across yet another 2019 rams outlook that reiterates the importance of kupp to the rams offense, the importance of gurley as the offensive drink stirrer, and how goff's effectiveness and success is directly tied to their health and availability, as in goff is a much less effective qb without them - in short, it was yet another piece that tries to marginalize the tremendous job goff has done since mcvay's arrival.

first, gurley and kupp are studs, i doubt there's a qb in the league that wouldn't love to have either guy in their huddle, let alone both - and i'm certain that's not lost on goff, i'm sure he digs the hell out of having both guys on his team.

but the notion that goff is a substantially less effective qb without one or the other, or that the rams are in trouble if they have to suit up on sundays with goff under center and gurley or kupp on the bench, is complete nonsense.

here's a look at goff's numbers with and without kupp, and with and without gurley - the bears game is excluded because it was such an aberration, a game in which both starting qbs posted qb ratings of 33.3 or lower and combined for 7 interceptions in the arctic conditions:

VirtualBox_2019-07-08_00-23-55.png

those that labeled goff a bust have had to eat a lot of crow, however more than a few of these mooks are now pointing at goff's postseason numbers in an effort to save face, which imo is as ridiculous as their "bust" predictions... the rams offensive performance in the postseason over the last couple of years has had much more to do with a young, learning mcvay than an ineffective goff - he's simply been out-coached too often.

anyway, the next time one of these goobers decides to weigh in on goff, i'd like them to take a look at goff's record when his team gives up 28 or more points, i.e. when he's asked to put a lot of points on the board to pull out a win, no one has been better at this than goff over the last two seasons:

VirtualBox_2019-07-08_01-22-13.png

by PARAM
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   12244  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:i'd like them to take a look at goff's record when his team gives up 28 or more points, i.e. when he's asked to put a lot of points on the board to pull out a win, no one has been better at this than goff over the last two seasons:

Better than Brees with the same number of games.
Better than Brady (who's defense only has 8 games allowing 28 pts)
Way better than Sir Aaron
I don't know how many of Washington's and Minnesota's games had Cousins under center, but whatever the number, it can't be more than 1 win.
Wilson, Rivers, Roethlisberger and Prescott haven't excelled either.

Q: On his record when Gurley is out, might it have to do with putting the entire load in Goff's lap and slinging it all over the field?

by max
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

I think this is the year that Goff shuts up all the critics.

I expect him to have greater command of the offense, turn the ball over less frequently, and convert more in the red zone. I expect him to handle pressure better. He’s gonna see the field better. He will be more surgical.

Goff has more talent than guys like Ryan and Cousins. He is capable of making throws they aren’t capable of making. He will demonstrate his superiority this year.

by aeneas1
4 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:Better than Brees with the same number of games.
Better than Brady (who's defense only has 8 games allowing 28 pts)
Way better than Sir Aaron
I don't know how many of Washington's and Minnesota's games had Cousins under center, but whatever the number, it can't be more than 1 win.
Wilson, Rivers, Roethlisberger and Prescott haven't excelled either.

Q: On his record when Gurley is out, might it have to do with putting the entire load in Goff's lap and slinging it all over the field?

cousins owns a career 1-19-1 record when his team gives up 28+ points, luck is 6-21... :shock2:

by snackdaddy
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Goff's critics always seem to point to the Superbowl performance and the Bears game. Yet, they conveniently forget his performance in perhaps the toughest environment played in the 2018 season. At the time it was the biggest game of most everyone's careers. He played admirably with some toughness and moxy to bring them back from double digit deficits twice in that game.

I think Goff will be just fine. The Rams will be just fine. Anything can happen between now and Superbowl 54. But right now the Rams have as good a shot as anyone. And they are fully battle tested with lessons learned. If they make it back to the big game I expect a much better showing by the offense.

by aeneas1
4 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:Goff's critics always seem to point to the Superbowl performance and the Bears game. Yet, they conveniently forget his performance in perhaps the toughest environment played in the 2018 season. At the time it was the biggest game of most everyone's careers. He played admirably with some toughness and moxy to bring them back from double digit deficits twice in that game.

I think Goff will be just fine. The Rams will be just fine. Anything can happen between now and Superbowl 54. But right now the Rams have as good a shot as anyone. And they are fully battle tested with lessons learned. If they make it back to the big game I expect a much better showing by the offense.

that's just it, i think goff has been a helluva lot better than fine, and will continue to be a helluva lot better than fine.... you're right tho, the critics certainly have selective memories, i guess they didn't watch goff stand toe to toe with mahomes and come out on top in what was billed as one of the greatest nfl games of all time... if only goff would turn the corner already! :D

by /zn/
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:Goff's critics always seem to point to the Superbowl performance and the Bears game. Yet, they conveniently forget his performance in perhaps the toughest environment played in the 2018 season. At the time it was the biggest game of most everyone's careers. He played admirably with some toughness and moxy to bring them back from double digit deficits twice in that game.

The Rams response to the bad games of 2018 (Bears, Patz) is to work on adjustments and responding to unexpected post-snap defensive looks. My guess is that also involves WR sight adjustments.

They don't say this but another issue from the "bad games" was an overwhelmed OL. Fixing that I guess depends on whether Allen is solid, and not the liability Sullivan was. Sullivan wasn't the only problem in those games but solidifying his spot shores things up. They will know pretty quickly since one of the best DLs they face in 2019 will be Carolina in game 1.

The idea is that the "bad games" are fixed if they adjust more quickly to post-snap looks (eg. going through progressions quicker) and shore up the OL so it executes more efficiently against top DLs.

by snackdaddy
4 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:that's just it, i think goff has been a helluva lot better than fine, and will continue to be a helluva lot better than fine.... you're right tho, the critics certainly have selective memories, i guess they didn't watch goff stand toe to toe with mahomes and come out on top in what was billed as one of the greatest nfl games of all time... if only goff would turn the corner already! :D

I do appreciate they way everyone gives McVay all the credit. Its nice to know we have a coach with a great mind. And he could be coaching dynasties for decades if he's that good. But saying anyone could do what Goff did is extremely short sighted. Simply put, not everyone could do that.

by aeneas1
4 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:I do appreciate they way everyone gives McVay all the credit. Its nice to know we have a coach with a great mind. And he could be coaching dynasties for decades if he's that good. But saying anyone could do what Goff did is extremely short sighted. Simply put, not everyone could do that.

i think mcvay deserves every bit of praise he's received, but it shouldn't have come so overwhelmingly at goff's expense... moreover if talking heads are going to praise the hell out of mcvay's "system" (and goff's success because of it), then i think mcvay's postseason gameplans deserve as much scrutiny as goff's postseason play.

by snackdaddy
4 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:i think mcvay deserves every bit of praise he's received, but it shouldn't have come so overwhelmingly at goff's expense... moreover if talking heads are going to praise the hell out of mcvay's "system" (and goff's success because of it), then i think mcvay's postseason gameplan deserves as much scrutiny as goff's postseason play.

It does seem, at least to this untrained eye, that McVay was out coached by a guy who's twice his age and been to 9 Superbowls. The good new is, McVay's a smart guy and will likely use this as a learning lesson.

• 1 / 2
16 posts Apr 19 2024