214 posts
  • 9 / 22
 by Gareth
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   1207  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

Elvis wrote:So, going by proposed 2020 rules, the Rams were a playoff team last year...

But in the Super Bowl year they would not have had a bye. I’m assuming that only the number one seed will have a bye and the other six will fight it out for three more spots.

by St. Loser Fan
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   10511  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

Gareth wrote:But in the Super Bowl year they would not have had a bye. I’m assuming that only the number one seed will have a bye and the other six will fight it out for three more spots.

Is anyone else tired of the growing playoffs in the sports leagues? Seems like another facet of the devalued award culture.

YOU get a playoff spot! YOU get a playoff spot! YOU get a playoff spot! YOU ALL GET PLAYOFF SPOTS!!!

by moklerman
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

St. Loser Fan wrote:Is anyone else tired of the growing playoffs in the sports leagues? Seems like another facet of the devalued award culture.

YOU get a playoff spot! YOU get a playoff spot! YOU get a playoff spot! YOU ALL GET PLAYOFF SPOTS!!!
In general? Yes. This proposal? No. It's always seemed a little weird to me that the top 2 seeds get byes. If you're the best, then I get it. But top 2? Seems arbitrary to me but ultimately necessary because of the number of teams in the playoffs under the current structure. The proposal resolves that issue.

by St. Loser Fan
4 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

At least it's not as bad as MLB with the "top seed gets to pick it's opponent" proposal.

I just don't like an expansion of the NFL playoffs that could lead to an 8-8, 7-8-1 or 7-9 team making it in.

by AvengerRam
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

St. Loser Fan wrote:Is anyone else tired of the growing playoffs in the sports leagues? Seems like another facet of the devalued award culture.

I don't think this change has this effect.

The NFL will now award playoff spots to 14/32 teams, meaning 43.8% of the teams make the playoffs.

In the NBA, its 16 out of 30, or 53.3%, and in the NHL, its 16 out of 31, or 51.6%.

The only league that is more selective is MLB, which awards spots to only 8 of 30 (26.7%) teams (more if there are play-in games). MLB, however, has a 162 game season to sort out who makes the postseason.

Having only one bye makes for an intriguing situation, as one team gets a big advantage. I guess we'll see over time how big an advantage that proves to be (certainly, bye teams have fared well in recent years).

by St. Loser Fan
4 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:I don't think this change has this effect.

The NFL will now award playoff spots to 14/32 teams, meaning 43.8% of the teams make the playoffs.

In the NBA, its 16 out of 30, or 53.3%, and in the NHL, its 16 out of 31, or 51.6%.

The only league that is more selective is MLB, which awards spots to only 8 of 30 (26.7%) teams (more if there are play-in games). MLB, however, has a 162 game season to sort out who makes the postseason.

Having only one bye makes for an intriguing situation, as one team gets a big advantage. I guess we'll see over time how big an advantage that proves to be (certainly, bye teams have fared well in recent years).

Thanks for the stats. If anything the NFL is playing catch up with the others so I guess I should calm down.

I also think the NHL is silly. Just look at the Tampa Bay Lightning last season. Winning the President's Trophy and then getting swept in the first round by the #8 seed.

by SpeedRacer
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   389  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Starter

Couple thoughts:
Who gets 9 home games? Everyone plays an International "home" game?
Teams in weak divisions (See: Pats for the last 20 years.) have a distinct edge toward the now bigger advantage of the Playoff Bye and an easier trip to the Super Bowl.
Bigger player cash pie. This Rams "Cap Hell" would go away quickly. Jared Goff's contract will look small compared to Prescott's. (Mahomes is his own category.)

Go Rams!

by Elvis
4 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   38448  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

SpeedRacer wrote:Who gets 9 home games?

That's a great question, can't believe this is the first i've seen or heard anyone consider it...

• 9 / 22
214 posts Apr 18 2024