11 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by AvengerRam
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

Seems like this is an area where there could be competition...

Kickoff Returner
Last year, our primary kick returner was Blake Countess (17 returns, 24.6 yard average), who is now an Eagle. JoJo Natson was second with 6 returns for an 18.0 yard average. Who will fill this role in 2019?

Perhaps one candidate will be Darrell Henderson. He returned 25 kickoffs in 3 years of college (with a modest 19.5 yard average), and had 1 TD in 2016. Assigning him this duty could be a way to get him a few more touches. I think he's better suited, at 208 lbs., to absorb the hits than the 153 lb. Natson.

If you're looking for a darkhorse candidate, how about Nsimba Webster, undrafted rookie FA from Eastern Washington (alma mater of Cooper Kupp and Samson Ebukam). He returned 48 kickoffs in college with an average of 23.2 yards, and ran a 4.40 at his pro day.

Punt Returner
Natson averaged 10.8 yards/return in 2019 (7th best in NFL) and nearly broke a few. He also had 2 fumbles, including the key lost fumble that killed a rally against Philadelphia. Can he be trusted with this role again?

I think one reason the Rams may stick with Natson is that Kupp's return gives the Rams an option when they just want a sure handed fair catch (I don't think they'll want Kupp actually returning punts). Perhaps they could give Webster a try here as well in preseason. He only returned 4 punts in college, but took one back for a TD.

Any other KR or PR candidates out there that I missed?

by SpeedRacer
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   389  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Starter

Nick Scott did some kick returning at Penn State. If he makes the roster it will be via Special Teams. Probably not a punt returner.

Side note: I am not a fan of punt returns. Especially with a potent offense. Every defensive stop is precious. Occasionally a big play return happens. Most often they are a 5-yard wigglefest with a ball dangling out for a gunner to take a swipe.

I prefer a punt returner that catches it and calls it good.

On particularly big defensive stops I wouldn't even put anyone back. Just take it where is stops.

Go Rams!

by AvengerRam
4 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

SpeedRacer wrote:Nick Scott did some kick returning at Penn State. If he makes the roster it will be via Special Teams.

Good call. It seems that Fassel is high on him as a coverage guy. If he can also handle the KR duties, that would be a plus.

by Gareth
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   1207  
Pro Bowl

SpeedRacer wrote:Nick Scott did some kick returning at Penn State. If he makes the roster it will be via Special Teams. Probably not a punt returner.

Side note: I am not a fan of punt returns. Especially with a potent offense. Every defensive stop is precious. Occasionally a big play return happens. Most often they are a 5-yard wigglefest with a ball dangling out for a gunner to take a swipe.

I prefer a punt returner that catches it and calls it good.

On particularly big defensive stops I wouldn't even put anyone back. Just take it where is stops.

Go Rams!

Likewise, On kickoff returns, I believe that the Rams should ALWAYS take the touchback when possible. I can’t stand when they return the ball from several yards deep into the end zone. Much more can go bad than good. Take the ball at the 25.

by Elvis
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   38452  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

A lot of people think Natson is pretty well set to make the team but i'm not so sure. He only made the team last year because of injuries. Pharoh Cooper also was in the mix as WR so unless Natson has something to offer besides returning kicks, i'm not sure i like his chances...

by Rams1PlateSince1976
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   2077  
Pro Bowl

Nice point by Gareth. Typical kick-off return. Catch the ball several yards deeps in the end zone, get out to the 18 or 19 and have an illegal block get called giving the offense a starting position on about the 10. A 15 yard net loss. Need one of stats guys to run this.

by Elvis
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   38452  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Rams1PlateSince1976 wrote:Nice point by Gareth. Typical kick-off return. Catch the ball several yards deeps in the end zone, get out to the 18 or 19 and have an illegal block get called giving the offense a starting position on about the 10. A 15 yard net loss. Need one of stats guys to run this.

We all agree yet teams run the ball out of the endzone more than any of think they should. There has to be a reason other than stupidity.

I'd like to know what it is...

by AvengerRam
4 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

It seems like some teams are starting to deliberately try to kick the ball inside the 5 yard line on kickoffs in the hope of pinning teams inside the 25. I wonder if this will become a trend, or if just blasting the ball through the end zone will be the norm.

by Gareth
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   1207  
Pro Bowl

Elvis wrote:We all agree yet teams run the ball out of the endzone more than any of think they should. There has to be a reason other than stupidity.

I'd like to know what it is...

I would guess it’s an attitude thing. People with egos probably think it’s defeatist to simply take a knee when you are capable of breaking it for a touchdown. To me it’s just obvious that the numbers are against it. Too many penalties.

by snackdaddy
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Gareth wrote:Likewise, On kickoff returns, I believe that the Rams should ALWAYS take the touchback when possible. I can’t stand when they return the ball from several yards deep into the end zone. Much more can go bad than good. Take the ball at the 25.

I'm in agreement. It seems too many bad things can happen opposed to the rare big return. If you have a bad offense I can see it. With the Rams offense there is no reason to risk it. If they have a penalty that backs them up inside the 10 it changes the play calling to more conservative and too many times ends up 3 and out giving the other team good field position.

• 1 / 2
11 posts Apr 18 2024