United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

by /zn/
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

max wrote:https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/0 ... 5-podcast/

There's also 2 recent articles with stuff from that interview.

One you cite, and I also include the other :

==

Todd Gurley recalls 2015 draft, didn't expect to go before No. 20

Cameron DaSilva

Todd Gurley was a unique prospect coming out of Georgia in 2015, not only because he was a rare running back deserving of going in the top 10, but because of his health situation. He was coming off a torn ACL, which he suffered in November, and couldn’t do anything during the pre-draft process.

Many thought the injury would push Gurley down the draft board and cause him to slip in the first round, but the Rams took a chance on him at No. 10 overall. Needless to say, that risk paid off beautifully with Gurley winning Offensive Rookie of the Year in 2015 and earning two All-Pro selections since.

He never expected to be drafted by the Rams and thought he’d go 20th overall at the earliest. He recalled the 2015 draft on Josh Hart’s podcast recently, discussing how he thought it would go.

“I didn’t. I didn’t, especially not like a top-10 pick, like you said. Coming off the ACL, they already had Tre Mason there, who went to Auburn. He almost had 1,000 yards, and then they had Benny Cunningham, Zac Stacy and Isaiah Pead. They had all those guys. One of my coaches called me and told me they were down there doing a background check. My agent might’ve said something, but I was like, ‘Man, they’re not drafting me. They got some decent running backs. Like, they’re good.’”

Gurley said he “didn’t even talk to St. Louis” in the pre-draft process, so he was really surprised to be drafted by Jeff Fisher and Les Snead. He was obviously thrilled to be selected in the top 10, but he didn’t expect to go that high.

On draft day, he wasn’t stressing too much because he figured his ACL injury would cause him to fall.

“The draft came, I’m in the green room. I’m just joking, I’m thinking I’m gonna go like at least 20 at the earliest, but I’m really just relaxing,” Gurley recalled. “I’m like, ‘I’m not about to get worked up over this. Whatever happens, happens.’”
Gurley told a story about one of his friends from Atlanta calling him while he was in the green room, which got Gurley’s hopes up. It was at the same time as the Falcons were on the clock at No. 8, so he thought it might be the team calling. It wasn’t.

“We’re in the green room and one of my boys from back home calls me. This was when Atlanta is up, it’s like the eighth pick. I get a number from the 404, and I’m like, ‘Oh snap, I’m about to go to the A.’ I pick up the phone and it’s one of my homeboys,” Gurley said. “I cussed him out so bad and so fast, and then two picks later, Coach Fisher and Les Snead were calling me.”

Gurley landed in a good spot with the Rams affording him the chance to progress at a comfortable pace. He wasn’t forced into action because of the depth they had at running back, allowing Gurley to return when he felt most comfortable.

Four years later and the pick has worked out exceptionally well for both him and the team.

==

Todd Gurley credits Sean McVay for making him a more complete RB

Cameron DaSilva

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/0 ... rb-memory/

Todd Gurley was a well-rounded running back coming out of Georgia, but he wasn’t what you would call a receiving back. He finished his career with 65 receptions for 615 yards, compared to his 510 rushing attempts and 3,285 yards on the ground.

As a rookie in 2015, he was hardly involved in the passing game. Gurley was targeted only 26 times in 13 games, catching 21 passes for 188 yards. Needless to say, he wasn’t utilized much as a receiver.

He got better in 2016 with 43 catches on 58 targets, but his pass-catching ability really took center stage in 2017 when Sean McVay arrived. In the last two years, Gurley has averaged 61.5 catches for 684 yards and has scored 10 receiving touchdowns after scoring zero in 2015 and ’16.

Gurley credits McVay for making him a more well-rounded back and using him as a receiver.

“When I first came into the league, I was a running back. I grew up looking at Jamaal Charles, Adrian Peterson. But I wanted to be more of an Adrian Peterson-type of back,” Gurley said on the LightHarted Podcast. “At first, I was like, ‘I’m not catching no balls, I’m not running no routes. I’m not doing this, I’m a running back.’ But seeing other guys’ games, Le’Veon [Bell], David Johnson, Duke Johnson, Devonta Freeman. I’m like, ‘All right, in order to be the best, you have to do what the best are doing.’

“I had to elevate my game and thanks to Coach McVay for putting us in this position. Certain routes, it didn’t matter if it was a receiver, tight end or running back. Whoever could run that route or whatever you feel comfortable with, he’s going to put you in that position.”

Gurley has become arguably the best running back in football, leading the NFL in total touchdowns the last two years and winning Offensive Player of the Year in 2017. His 3,924 yards from scrimmage the last two years are 671 more than the next-closest player, Ezekiel Elliott.

If not for his receiving ability, he likely would not have been an MVP candidate in 2017 or become a two-time All-Pro. And as an added bonus, getting touches as a receiver rather than as a runner can help take some wear and tear off of his body.

“I also learned, hey, I can save my body. Why would I want to go up against 11 guys when I can have a one-on-one with one guy?” Gurley said. “Majority of the time, I’m going to win those one-on-ones. That’s all football is about is just beating the guy across from you more than he did. Once I saw that and started getting involved in the passing game, I was like, ‘Damn, it’s this easy? I could keep doing this.’”

Gurley, like so many others, called McVay “a genius” and marveled at the way he recalls plays. He said McVay brings up plays all the time and at a recent team meeting, he essentially ran through the whole season from Week 1 to the Super Bowl, pointing out big plays and players’ first sacks

“He’s smart. A little too smart. He don’t sleep. He does his thing,” Gurley said. “He’s got the elephant memory. I mean, he remembers everything. He’ll just pull up a clip or say something like, ‘Todd, you remember this?’ And I’m like, ‘Uh uh.’ … [He does it] like all the time.”

Gurley couldn’t be happier to have McVay as his coach and loves the job he’s done since taking over in 2017.

“He’s a player’s coach. he’s a good coach, always coming up with new ideas. So you get excited. Every week, you come in on Wednesday – Tuesday’s our day off and Wednesday we start game planning. I get to smiling because it’s like, ‘Oh yeah, it’s going to be a good week.’ I mean he’s a genius. He really is a genius.”

by max
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:There's actually 2 recent articles with stuff from him.

Here is the one you cite, which is then followed by the other :

==

Todd Gurley recalls 2015 draft, didn't expect to go before No. 20

Cameron DaSilva

Todd Gurley was a unique prospect coming out of Georgia in 2015, not only because he was a rare running back deserving of going in the top 10, but because of his health situation. He was coming off a torn ACL, which he suffered in November, and couldn’t do anything during the pre-draft process.

Many thought the injury would push Gurley down the draft board and cause him to slip in the first round, but the Rams took a chance on him at No. 10 overall. Needless to say, that risk paid off beautifully with Gurley winning Offensive Rookie of the Year in 2015 and earning two All-Pro selections since.

He never expected to be drafted by the Rams and thought he’d go 20th overall at the earliest. He recalled the 2015 draft on Josh Hart’s podcast recently, discussing how he thought it would go.

“I didn’t. I didn’t, especially not like a top-10 pick, like you said. Coming off the ACL, they already had Tre Mason there, who went to Auburn. He almost had 1,000 yards, and then they had Benny Cunningham, Zac Stacy and Isaiah Pead. They had all those guys. One of my coaches called me and told me they were down there doing a background check. My agent might’ve said something, but I was like, ‘Man, they’re not drafting me. They got some decent running backs. Like, they’re good.’”

Gurley said he “didn’t even talk to St. Louis” in the pre-draft process, so he was really surprised to be drafted by Jeff Fisher and Les Snead. He was obviously thrilled to be selected in the top 10, but he didn’t expect to go that high.

On draft day, he wasn’t stressing too much because he figured his ACL injury would cause him to fall.

“The draft came, I’m in the green room. I’m just joking, I’m thinking I’m gonna go like at least 20 at the earliest, but I’m really just relaxing,” Gurley recalled. “I’m like, ‘I’m not about to get worked up over this. Whatever happens, happens.’”
Gurley told a story about one of his friends from Atlanta calling him while he was in the green room, which got Gurley’s hopes up. It was at the same time as the Falcons were on the clock at No. 8, so he thought it might be the team calling. It wasn’t.

“We’re in the green room and one of my boys from back home calls me. This was when Atlanta is up, it’s like the eighth pick. I get a number from the 404, and I’m like, ‘Oh snap, I’m about to go to the A.’ I pick up the phone and it’s one of my homeboys,” Gurley said. “I cussed him out so bad and so fast, and then two picks later, Coach Fisher and Les Snead were calling me.”

Gurley landed in a good spot with the Rams affording him the chance to progress at a comfortable pace. He wasn’t forced into action because of the depth they had at running back, allowing Gurley to return when he felt most comfortable.

Four years later and the pick has worked out exceptionally well for both him and the team.

==

Todd Gurley credits Sean McVay for making him a more complete RB

Cameron DaSilva

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/0 ... rb-memory/

Todd Gurley was a well-rounded running back coming out of Georgia, but he wasn’t what you would call a receiving back. He finished his career with 65 receptions for 615 yards, compared to his 510 rushing attempts and 3,285 yards on the ground.

As a rookie in 2015, he was hardly involved in the passing game. Gurley was targeted only 26 times in 13 games, catching 21 passes for 188 yards. Needless to say, he wasn’t utilized much as a receiver.

He got better in 2016 with 43 catches on 58 targets, but his pass-catching ability really took center stage in 2017 when Sean McVay arrived. In the last two years, Gurley has averaged 61.5 catches for 684 yards and has scored 10 receiving touchdowns after scoring zero in 2015 and ’16.

Gurley credits McVay for making him a more well-rounded back and using him as a receiver.

“When I first came into the league, I was a running back. I grew up looking at Jamaal Charles, Adrian Peterson. But I wanted to be more of an Adrian Peterson-type of back,” Gurley said on the LightHarted Podcast. “At first, I was like, ‘I’m not catching no balls, I’m not running no routes. I’m not doing this, I’m a running back.’ But seeing other guys’ games, Le’Veon [Bell], David Johnson, Duke Johnson, Devonta Freeman. I’m like, ‘All right, in order to be the best, you have to do what the best are doing.’

“I had to elevate my game and thanks to Coach McVay for putting us in this position. Certain routes, it didn’t matter if it was a receiver, tight end or running back. Whoever could run that route or whatever you feel comfortable with, he’s going to put you in that position.”

Gurley has become arguably the best running back in football, leading the NFL in total touchdowns the last two years and winning Offensive Player of the Year in 2017. His 3,924 yards from scrimmage the last two years are 671 more than the next-closest player, Ezekiel Elliott.

If not for his receiving ability, he likely would not have been an MVP candidate in 2017 or become a two-time All-Pro. And as an added bonus, getting touches as a receiver rather than as a runner can help take some wear and tear off of his body.

“I also learned, hey, I can save my body. Why would I want to go up against 11 guys when I can have a one-on-one with one guy?” Gurley said. “Majority of the time, I’m going to win those one-on-ones. That’s all football is about is just beating the guy across from you more than he did. Once I saw that and started getting involved in the passing game, I was like, ‘Damn, it’s this easy? I could keep doing this.’”

Gurley, like so many others, called McVay “a genius” and marveled at the way he recalls plays. He said McVay brings up plays all the time and at a recent team meeting, he essentially ran through the whole season from Week 1 to the Super Bowl, pointing out big plays and players’ first sacks

“He’s smart. A little too smart. He don’t sleep. He does his thing,” Gurley said. “He’s got the elephant memory. I mean, he remembers everything. He’ll just pull up a clip or say something like, ‘Todd, you remember this?’ And I’m like, ‘Uh uh.’ … [He does it] like all the time.”

Gurley couldn’t be happier to have McVay as his coach and loves the job he’s done since taking over in 2017.

“He’s a player’s coach. he’s a good coach, always coming up with new ideas. So you get excited. Every week, you come in on Wednesday – Tuesday’s our day off and Wednesday we start game planning. I get to smiling because it’s like, ‘Oh yeah, it’s going to be a good week.’ I mean he’s a genius. He really is a genius.”

Thanks for posting.

The podcast is better than those reports, for me anyway. I like hearing it from the horses mouth. Nothing like getting the tone of voice.

by max
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
Hall of Fame

Gurley said Goff is cheap. This was in regards to spending money on the OL guys.

by Elvis
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   38463  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

max wrote:Gurley said Goff is cheap. This was in regards to spending money on the OL guys.

After he bought fans for the offense that first year in Irvine? Man what do these people want?

by BobCarl
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   4296  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

Elvis wrote:Here you go:

The first 3:45 they were talking my language.

But hose guys committed wine Infanticide, a 2016 Cakebread Cabernet? WTF?... oh well what do you expect from a couple of wine noobs. The wine has a good reputation though ... it retails for about $80 a bottle, and prolly $200-$225 in an upscale restaurant.

Gurley humbled them when he dropped the name of Kroenke's wine, Screaming Eagle. LOL

by R4L
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   1301  
United States of America   Dayton, Ohio
Pro Bowl

Yet another Gurley thread :roll2:

by AvengerRam
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

R4L wrote:Yet another Gurley thread :roll2:

Did you know that Gurley spelled backwards is Yelrug, which is Mongolian for “early onset arthritis”? (as in “I can’t buy this yak. He has yelrug!”)

by Elvis
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   38463  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

This a cool thread and a bitchen podcast which i'm glad max found and shared. It's a breath of fresh air from the normal knee based Gurley threads.

No need to be haters...

• 1 / 3
23 posts Apr 20 2024