14 posts
  • 2 / 2
 by aeneas1
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

it just seems weird to think that our guys are routinely lining up for painkilling shots every week, that it's just part of the game, and even weirder to think that's ok but pot isn't.

by Haden
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   2134  
United States of America   Spokane, WA
RFU Survivor Champ

aeneas1 wrote:it just seems weird to think that our guys are routinely lining up for painkilling shots every week, that it's just part of the game, and even weirder to think that's ok but pot isn't.

Another good reason to seriously reconsider letting kids play football, particularly if they have the talent to play college or pro ball. A guy in my fantasy league is a former 2nd round draft pick of the Steelers out of ASU. Played with Bradshaw. He is 6' 7" and still 300. Blew his ACL early in his career. rehabbed and then blew his other ACL. Steelers cut him and he was actually in the Rams camp after that, but didn't make final cuts. Lost too much speed. Sadly, he has CTE and is declining mentally rather rapidly. lays in bed 3/4 of the day with phantom pain. Eats painkillers to be around the other 6 hours of the day.

Anyway, his two sons are just as big as him. They were high school starters and destined for a top college. Given his issues, he refused to let them play their senior years as he could not live with the reality that they may end up like him, taking shots to play, taking painkillers to play, and then ending up with CTE. It was an issue but the kids agreed to play only basketball and baseball respectively.

I let my son play high school ball but looking back, I don't think I would have allowed it if I did it all over. Its crazy the physical and chemical abuse these guys are taking.

by snackdaddy
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Haden wrote:Another good reason to seriously reconsider letting kids play football, particularly if they have the talent to play college or pro ball. A guy in my fantasy league is a former 2nd round draft pick of the Steelers out of ASU. Played with Bradshaw. He is 6' 7" and still 300. Blew his ACL early in his career. rehabbed and then blew his other ACL. Steelers cut him and he was actually in the Rams camp after that, but didn't make final cuts. Lost too much speed. Sadly, he has CTE and is declining mentally rather rapidly. lays in bed 3/4 of the day with phantom pain. Eats painkillers to be around the other 6 hours of the day.

Anyway, his two sons are just as big as him. They were high school starters and destined for a top college. Given his issues, he refused to let them play their senior years as he could not live with the reality that they may end up like him, taking shots to play, taking painkillers to play, and then ending up with CTE. It was an issue but the kids agreed to play only basketball and baseball respectively.

I let my son play high school ball but looking back, I don't think I would have allowed it if I did it all over. Its crazy the physical and chemical abuse these guys are taking.

I have two grandsons. One is a golfer. The only thing he has to worry about is back and hip pains golfers get. But it doesn't look like golf will be a career for him. He wants to get into criminal justice in college.

My 15 year old grandson on the other hand loves football. He's been playing the junior leagues since he was 8. He's now a sophomore this fall. He's working with a personal trainer to build his body into a good football body. The kid just turned 15 last month and he's 5'10 220 pounds. And strong. The work with the personal trainer is really starting to show dividends. He expects to play varsity football this year. He's been playing for so long its in his blood now. The coach said he's the most football smart sophomore he's ever coached. And he loves the game.

Now comes the worry part. Everything you said makes me and my wife worry about him. His mother too. But his dad is all in on his football career. He's the one forking out the money to help him build his body. His doctors says he hasn't experienced his biggest growth spurt yet. There is height in the family. I'm over 6 foot. Both sides of his family has relatives up to 6'6" His dad wants to send him to a football camp next year and before his senior season. He's putting away money for it. He wants a reputable football camp with reputable people like former players.

I can't tell them what to do but I do mention the long term problems associated with playing a violent sport. I'm going to mention some of the things you said. I love the game of football and love watching. I'm going to be there every Friday during the season night cheering them on. But I'm apprehensive when it comes to someone I love playing it. He does plan to play on both sides of the line. In the thick of things. That is where it gets violent. I hope the helmets nowadays can reduce the risk.

by dieterbrock
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:I remember when I was playing in High School. I was the starting QB. In our biggest game, our star RB went down with a knee injury. At halftime, I walked in on the trainers about to give him a shot so he could go back in the game. I told him not to do it, and the head coach told me to mind my business. With no other option, I threatened to sit out the second half. Soon, most of the starters had joined my protest. The Head Coach went ballistic and attacked me, and several teammates had to intervene and pull him off of me. I then told him we'd only play if he didn't return to the sideline. We went back out without him and pulled out a win. He never coached again.

I, of course, went on to make the practice squad at Notre Dame as a walk-on, finally seeing the field in the final game of my career when I registered a sack against Georgia Tech.

"You got to be the dumbest smart kid I know"
-Bud Kilmer

• 2 / 2
14 posts Apr 19 2024