281 posts
  • 23 / 29
 by /zn/
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

6. At the time of the signing it was a decent bet that extending Gurley would be a good risk/reward move.
7. At this point, no one would sign Gurley to a bigger deal than the Rams gave him.

I agree with those 2 points.

This is just a detail and not a "point in the discussion," but when they signed him, the Rams set a new market, though not for RBs in general--it was for the type of uber back who was big, fast, and could catch as well as run. At the time, that included Bell and Johnson. Things have probably changed since then.

by max
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:I agree with those 2 points.

This is just a detail and not a "point in the discussion," but when they signed him, the Rams set a new market, though not for RBs in general--it was for the type of uber back who was big, fast, and could catch as well as run. At the time, that included Bell and Johnson. I think things have changed since then.

Agree. Things can change so quickly in the NFL.

I don't like the hindsight argument. In hindsight, just about everything looks "obvious" to people.

I should have thought of that with my brain...

by AvengerRam
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

max wrote:Those aren't enough choices.

I can think of at least 2 more.

6. At the time of the signing it was a decent bet that extending Gurley would be a good risk/reward move.

That sounds a lot like #2.

7. At this point, no one would sign Gurley to a bigger deal than the Rams gave him.

...and that's the hindsight thinking I was referencing.

It's pretty common that people like to frame questions to fit their narrative. Just about everyone has a natural bias. I highly recommend Daniel Kahneman's great book, Thinking fast and slow. It may change the way you think.

Wow. You're an unmitigated dick. I suspected that before, but that comment really clinches it.

Suffice to say, if you can't see that I offered a pretty broad spectrum of responses, you REALLY need to work on your reading skills. I highly recommend "Dick and Jane go to the zoo" to start.

by Elvis
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   38452  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

aeneas1 wrote:sounds like 2015 doesn't it?

Not really. An ACL is a very specific injury with a specific timeline for recovery and a very good prognosis. We see Kupp going through it right now.

Here's Gurley a few months after his ACL surgery:

It's murkier this time around...

by max
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:That sounds a lot like #2.

...and that's the hindsight thinking I was referencing.

Wow. You're an unmitigated dick. I suspected that before, but that comment really clinches it.

Suffice to say, if you can't see that I offered a pretty broad spectrum of responses, you REALLY need to work on your reading skills. I highly recommend "Dick and Jane go to the zoo" to start.

There you go again with your lashing out. What is that? Do you feel you need to get angry so people will listen to you? Does that make you feel important?

You should consider calming down and conversing in a civil manner. You'll be taken more seriously. You turn a lot of people off with your angry attacks.

by /zn/
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Just a minor note on this comment:

As Gurley himself pointed out Tuesday, after the Rams wrapped up their offseason program, he considers the current situation with his knee a “small problem” compared to what he faced five years ago as a junior at Georgia when he underwent reconstructive knee surgery.

People are reading that comment kind of differently.

My take is this--he did not say what he is going through now is SMALL taken in itself.

He said it was small IN COMPARISON to rehabbing from ACL surgery.

And of course in saying it;s a small PROBLEM, he's NOT saying it's NOT a problem. It just takes far less work than ACL rehab. The effects are different too. With ACL surgery, if you do not rehab it with dedicated action, you may not play again. With an arthritic condition, you're just reducing the odds of having a bad episode (pain and swelling).

So to me that's just consistent with him having knee issues in 2018, probably arthritic as (I take it) Gaines confirms. Well in fact he's right...that IS small in comparison to ACL rehab, which requires weeks and weeks of hard dedicated work. In contrast, players play with arthritic knees all the time. They can flare up but they can also be managed. Their training and workouts can take account of the condition and be tailored toward reducing the odds of another flare-up, but that is not the same as having to do the extra grueling work of ACL rehab.

by AvengerRam
4 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:Attack the post, not the poster is always a good policy...

I agree. And this pseudo intellectual, passive aggressive, and entirely unprovoked bullshit does not qualify:

It's pretty common that people like to frame questions to fit their narrative. Just about everyone has a natural bias. I highly recommend Daniel Kahneman's great book, Thinking fast and slow. It may change the way you think.

For the record, I PMed max last week and suggested that we agree to tone it down. Instead of responding to my olive branch, he continues to act like an asshole.

I'll be happy to continue attacking max's posts. They're easy targets.

by AvengerRam
4 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

max wrote:You should consider calming down and conversing in a civil manner. You'll be taken more seriously. You turn a lot of people off with your angry attacks.

My little brother used to play this game. (1) Instigate, (2) wait for a reaction, (3) play innocent and play to the crowd.

Then he turned 10.

by dieterbrock
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Keys to enjoying my day
1) wake up
2) go for a run before my family is awake
3) enjoy a cold drink after
4) stay out of Gurley's Knee threads
Repeat