281 posts
  • 26 / 29
 by /zn/
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

anyhoo, camp is right around the corner, what will we see from gurley, what will we see...

Well I'm not sure there will be this big reveal. Other players have done well playing with arthritic knees before. The issue I suppose is controlling inflammation. They are doing things to manage this and that could keep the pain/inflammation flare-ups down. (And btw not every player with knee surgery has those kinds of pain/inflammation flare-ups. Peterson didn't, Gore didn't. As we know not every instance of this is the same.) If managing it works, he could run on that knee all of 2019 without anything happening. Or he could have a flare-up...but even then it can calm down and they can work around that.

by AvengerRam
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:And btw not every player with knee surgery has those kinds of pain/inflammation flare-ups. Peterson didn't, Gore didn’t.

Or... maybe they did, but it didn’t happen in the midst of a Super Bowl run, so nobody noticed (or they just considered it a “slump” or a few “off games.”)

by aeneas1
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:Or... maybe they did, but it didn’t happen in the midst of a Super Bowl run, so nobody noticed (or they just considered it a “slump” or a few “off games.”)

the notion that any fan knows the day to day, game to game, physical condition (degree of soreness, swelling, stiffness, numbness, etc.) of any of these guys is patently laughable, as is the notion that such things always keep the guys off the practice field / gameday field, or hits the injury report / airwaves... there's a reason there's a line out the door for pregame toradol shots.

by max
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:the notion that any fan knows the day to day, game to game, physical condition (degree of soreness, swelling, stiffness, numbness, etc.) of any of these guys is patently laughable, as is the notion that such things always keep the guys off the practice field / gameday field, or hits the injury report / airwaves... there's a reason there's a line out the door for pregame toradol shots.

So what?

Toradol shots mask the problem, thats not a long term solution. We want a solution that helps keep the knee healthier.

What we know and what I care about is that Gurley did have a serious issue with inflammation in his surgically repaired knee. Now it appears he is doing more things to combat inflammation. It’s very possible that what he’s doing now will eliminate a lot of the inflammation that apparently is related to arthritis. That’s what I’m talking about.

by /zn/
4 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

max wrote:So what?

Toradol shots mask the problem, thats not a long term solution. We want a solution that helps keep the knee healthier.

What we know and what I care about is that Gurley did have a serious issue with inflammation in his surgically repaired knee. Now it appears he is doing more things to combat inflammation. It’s very possible that what he’s doing now will eliminate a lot of the inflammation that apparently is related to arthritis. That’s what I’m talking about.

Yeah, we know Gurley had 2 episodes of pain and inflammation because he and the team said it.

He could run on that knee last year except when that happened. We also know in general that managing an arthritic knee includes things like diet and strengthening leg muscles to decrease the chance of episodes like that happening. I dont' know where this "we know his everyday condition" stuff came from, that's not what was being discussed.

Expanded through edit. That (the therapies) is just basic stuff really, common knowledge.

Just a handy basic example:

https://athletixrehab.com/treating-arth ... -the-meds/
Osteoarthritis: The most common type of arthritis is osteoarthritis. This is caused by a reduction in joint cartilage as it wears away through age or “wear and tear.” This causes bones to rub together, which leads to pain and swelling. Physical therapy can often help to reduce arthritis pain without medication, especially if the arthritis is mild to moderate.
According to a study published in the American Journal of Sports Medicine, about 30 percent of elite male athletes who engage in contact sports such as football will develop arthritis in the knees and hips. That’s compared to about 19 percent of the general public. The wear and tear on the joints that results from high-contact sports increases the likelihood of developing arthritis. Soccer and handball players were found to be twice as “at risk” of arthritis later in life, and hockey players are three times as likely to develop arthritis.
Physical Therapy for Arthritis
The goals when working with a physical therapist for arthritis treatment will include preserving a good range of motion, increasing strength to reduce stress on the joints, and other natural treatment options. Here are some of the benefits of working with our physical therapists:

Your physical therapist will work with you to control your weight through exercise and diet. Controlling your weight helps to prevent added stress on weight-bearing joints.
Posture work will help to reduce stress on your joints.
Light exercises and stretching will help to increase range of motion in the affected areas.

by AvengerRam
4 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:I dont' know where this "we know his everyday condition" stuff came from, that's not what was being discussed.

It came from your assertion that Gore and Peterson have not suffered inflammation during their post-ACL repair years. I questioned whether your definitive statement was necessarily true or, alternatively, if we might just not know. aeneas1 agreed, stating that we don't know the condition of every player on a day-to-day basis, so its entirely possible that Gore and/or Peterson experienced the same thing as Gurley but we never heard about it.

by /zn/
4 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:It came from your assertion that Gore and Peterson have not suffered inflammation during their post-ACL repair years. I questioned whether your definitive statement was necessarily true or, alternatively, if we might just not know. aeneas1 agreed, stating that we don't know the condition of every player on a day-to-day basis, so its entirely possible that Gore and/or Peterson experienced the same thing as Gurley but we never heard about it.

I don;t know about "suffering inflammation" in some vague general sense. But that's not really what was being discussed. I was referring to the flare-up of intense pain and inflammation that got the Rams to sit Gurley in December. Were there any such flare-ups of intense pain/swelling in the knee with those other 2 (Gore and Peterson) that got them sidelined at any point? Because that...and only that...is all I was referring to.

by AvengerRam
4 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:Were there any such flare-ups of intense pain/swelling in the knee with those other 2 (Gore and Peterson) that got them sidelined at any point?

And the answer, once again, is... we don't know.

by max
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:And the answer, once again, is... we don't know.

But who cares if they did or didn't? Not me.

All I care about is that Gurley did. We know for a fact that he has had a serious issue with inflammation and that he's taking measures to address it. And that doesn't mean getting injections that mask pain. It means doing things to mitigate inflammation so he can extend his career. And I'm not even gonna get into the arthritis thing which most likely is connected to the inflammation. The bottom line is that he's had this issue and he's doing things to address it.

by AvengerRam
4 years 9 months ago
Hall of Fame

max wrote:But who cares if they did or didn't? Not me.

I don't care either. I was responding to zn's assertion, which drew a comparison to Gurley:
And btw not every player with knee surgery has those kinds of pain/inflammation flare-ups. Peterson didn't, Gore didn't.

That assertion - which is unsupported by anything other than speculation - suggests that Gurley's experience differs from Gore's and Peterson's. My point was simply that we don't know that for a fact. Its possible that they have experienced similar circumstances but, unlike Gurley, they didn't occur during the playoffs when everyone notices everything.

• 26 / 29
281 posts Apr 17 2024